• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    I forgot about salt, sugar and spices. Good suggestions. I'll add honey if you don't keep bees. Make that honey, peanut butter and jelly.

And oils.. coconut has a very low boil level and can't take high heat. Seems like Virgin olive cold press in a glass container should keep for a few years if stored correctly..?

FrommerStop

Master
    Some fats-oils are essential for life
    ghee butter has a good storage life. I am not sure if it has the essential fats(Lipids) that humans need. Today I purchased some raw peanuts and plan to plant them tomorrow just see what happens. They are apparently very nutritious and can be eaten raw. Even dogs can eat reasonable quantities of them. They are a of source oils. Sun flower seeds are another source.

One can even make their own oil, but it seems for survival just eating oils in seeds should take care of that.

1714538864879.png

VEVOR Oil Press Machine 750W Cold / Hot Press Automatic Oil Extractor Organic Oil Expeller Commercial Grade Stainless Steel Oil Press Machine​

32 Reviews39 answered questions
    $196.99

Southalabama

Master
    Some fats-oils are essential for life
    ghee butter has a good storage life. I am not sure if it has the essential fats(Lipids) that humans need. Today I purchased some raw peanuts and plan to plant them tomorrow just see what happens. They are apparently very nutritious and can be eaten raw. Even dogs can eat reasonable quantities of them. They are a of source oils. Sun flower seeds are another source.

One can even make their own oil, but it seems for survival just eating oils in seeds should take care of that.

View attachment 284301

VEVOR Oil Press Machine 750W Cold / Hot Press Automatic Oil Extractor Organic Oil Expeller Commercial Grade Stainless Steel Oil Press Machine​

32 Reviews39 answered questions
    $196.99
    Good luck growing your own. I buy about 50 pounds a year in Jay.

Southalabama

Master
    I forgot about salt, sugar and spices. Good suggestions. I'll add honey if you don't keep bees. Make that honey, peanut butter and jelly.

And oils.. coconut has a very low boil level and can't take high heat. Seems like Virgin olive cold press in a glass container should keep for a few years if stored correctly..?
    Get honey in glass jars not plastic.

FrommerStop

Master
    Good luck growing your own. I buy about 50 pounds a year in Jay.
    From what store or outlet up in jay do you buy.

Are you saying that there is problem with growing them. And we are talking shtf and you are assuming that you can buy still in jay.
    I have never tried growing peanuts and I am looking for things that will grow locally here in the pace-milton florida area.

ccc

Master

Are you saying that there is problem with growing them. And we are talking shtf and you are assuming that you can buy still in jay.
    I have never tried growing peanuts and I am looking for things that will grow locally here in the pace-milton florida area.
    Lowreys farm in Jay has them I usually buy 20 50# bags for deer

jettjon

Expert

I've been experimenting with sweet potatoes because I manage to kill everything else I grow. I guess I have a brown thumb. So far sweet potatoes have been the easiest. Ideally grow them in rows in a bed but you can also grow them in large containers. The only issue I had was with moth larvae eating the leaves. Some Neem oil fixed that. But read the instructions and don't apply it during the sunny parts of the day or you'll kill the leaves.

Southalabama

Master
    Holland farm or Lowry farm to buy

As far as growing your own harvest is a lot of work. I’ve tried picking some that were mechanically dug and dried. You’ve got a mass of vines some of which will contain fire ants and it takes forever to pick a handful. Even when they were free wasn’t worth the effort. Couple dollars a pound and be done with it by buying. You will spend more energy in calories than you’ll get back. Plant sweet potatoes.

FrommerStop

Master
    Holland farm or Lowry farm to buy

As far as growing your own harvest is a lot of work. I’ve tried picking some that were mechanically dug and dried. You’ve got a mass of vines some of which will contain fire ants and it takes forever to pick a handful. Even when they were free wasn’t worth the effort. Couple dollars a pound and be done with it by buying. You will spend more energy in calories than you’ll get back. Plant sweet potatoes.
    . The Peanut do have oils and I see that sweet potato is better than I though.
    The total lipid content of the potato is approximately 0.15%–0.5% of the fresh weight. The lipids of potato are enriched in linoleic and linolenic acids.Oct 6, 2020

Peanuts are 49% fat. Perhaps sweet potatoes for the main course and some sweet potato leaves and peanuts beaten to a paste for dessert.

As to how many calories you expend is valid question. If you are growing food it will require some work.
    I planted two sweet potato vines today; one of my dogs decide that there would be a good place to dig a little hollow to lie down in. Well one is still alive and I have 4 more plants to put somewhere.

Southalabama

Master
    Late summer stop around Jay after they have the vines drying. Flip some over. Pick a few. You’ll find the juice isn’t worth the squeeze metaphorically. Buy them.

FrommerStop

Master
    Late summer stop around Jay after they have the vines drying. Flip some over. Pick a few. You’ll find the juice isn’t worth the squeeze metaphorically. Buy them.
    Yes buy if you can. LOL we are talking SHTF' If you can buy and store enough peanuts of course buy them.
    Growing is only if you can not buy them. I will plant a few just see how difficult they are to grow.
    What I fear is not just a few months of no food, but a scarcity that might last a long time. For example 'The Great depression' was from about 1929 and things only slowly got better under the 'New Deal', but really it was WWII that got the economy going. Farmers were burning their crops in some areas to keep the prices up even though people were hungry.
    My guess is that in this new world order that may be coming is your peanut farmer may be selling peanuts still, but at supper high prices in American dollars and maybe it goes outside the USA where the Yen becomes stronger currency.
    More than one famine has been caused by a country exporting food while its population was starving.

Southalabama

Master
    Yes buy if you can. LOL we are talking SHTF' If you can buy and store enough peanuts of course buy them.
    Growing is only if you can not buy them. I will plant a few just see how difficult they are to grow.
    What I fear is not just a few months of no food, but a scarcity that might last a long time. For example 'The Great depression' was from about 1929 and things only slowly got better under the 'New Deal', but really it was WWII that got the economy going. Farmers were burning their crops in some areas to keep the prices up even though people were hungry.
    My guess is that in this new world order that may be coming is your peanut farmer may be selling peanuts still, but at supper high prices in American dollars and maybe it goes outside the USA where the Yen becomes stronger currency.
    More than one famine has been caused by a country exporting food while its population was starving.
    Good luck with your peanut farming. Report back after you’ve grown and harvested some. I think you’ll find a lot of wasted effort for very little return. I’ve dug peanuts and I’ve picked peanuts. If things are so bad the old boys in Jay won’t sell me some because they selling to them Chinese then we got bigger problems than peanuts

FrommerStop

Master
    Good luck with your peanut farming. Report back after you’ve grown and harvested some. I think you’ll find a lot of wasted effort for very little return. I’ve dug peanuts and I’ve picked peanuts. If things are so bad the old boys in Jay won’t sell me some because they selling to them Chinese then we got bigger problems than peanuts
    OK LOL loud.
    Yes we do have bigger problems than just peanuts and that is the purpose of this thread I think. If the incumbent wins the POTUS Nov election things will be terrible. But the sad thing is even if the Orange man wins, there are no guarantees for the future.
    I may not even have fuel for my Kubota tractor to do my farming.
    Most have no idea since we are a land of plenty where even the very poor are obese.

Southalabama

Master
    OK LOL loud.
    Yes we do have bigger problems than just peanuts and that is the purpose of this thread I think. If the incumbent wins the POTUS Nov election things will be terrible. But the sad thing is even if the Orange man wins, there are no guarantees for the future.
    I may not even have fuel for my Kubota tractor to do my farming.
    Most have no idea since we are a land of plenty where even the very poor are obese.
    Oh I’ve never stopped prepping but growing peanuts isn’t an answer to any of the problems I’ll face or likely face.

Got in two cases today of freeze dried food from beprepared.com.

FrommerStop

Master
    Oh I’ve never stopped prepping but growing peanuts isn’t an answer to any of the problems I’ll face or likely face.

Got in two cases today of freeze dried food from beprepared.com.
    Just how many years worth do you have on hand? If you can lay in 10 years worth, then you have a viable plan. You can't plant the wrappers and get more freeze dry meals once they are gone.

Southalabama

Master
    Just how many years worth do you have on hand? If you can lay in 10 years worth, then you have a viable plan. You can't plant the wrappers and get more freeze dry meals once they are gone.
    I’m good

But if shtf that bad the trouble will be keeping what you have from those that didn’t prepare. Hungry people will do anything for food including taking yours.

Top Bottom