• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southalabama

Master
    What cooking oil to store. One article claims that some forms of coconut will last up to 7 years unopened.

I suspect the reason in World War II the army boiled about everything was a cooking oil issue. But wtf I know. Just a guess

Oil storage is an issue I haven’t fully resolved in my mind.

I’ve got red feather butter and butter powder.

Oils go rancid but in cool dark place lasts longer than they say.

FrommerStop

Master
    Better test some out to make sure the family likes them. Buy an individual package don’t open the bucket.

I can stomach most anything but wifey and kid not so much. Even in shtf food better resemble what they normally eat and taste somewhat palatable.
    First rule of survival say in SHTF or during a nationwide disaster is what ever food is available. There were soldiers that died of malnutrition as POWs during the korean war even when fed what the Chinese were being fed. Reason some captured GIs would not eat the food that the prison guards give them.

ccc

Master
    Better test some out to make sure the family likes them. Buy an individual package don’t open the bucket.

I can stomach most anything but wifey and kid not so much. Even in shtf food better resemble what they normally eat and taste somewhat palatable.
    My wife and I can eat anything, especially if WE HAVE TO !!!!

BOHUNTER

Shooter
    Rotation now, don’t keep stacking without using the goods you have and replacing them. Everyone should have a small stash, buying 1-2 cans a week extra is a good thing. If we fall under democrats again, expect more foreclosures and inflation.

RackinRay

Master
    Powdered forms of milk, butter, and honey are available.

Matches go bad, look for a pack of large ferro rods and make your favorite knife spines a true 90 degree on back of blade. Even with only natural tinder, fires can be easily started compared to fire bow method.

Blades, bows, and other edged weapons are better than sticks and stones.

Berkley filters can be had in large sizes if water is readily available. Filters can be preserved for longer use if a simple pre-filter in a 5 gallon bucket is assembled.

RackinRay

Master

Welldoya

Master
    I wish I had several cases of the C-Rations I used to take camping in high school.
    Dad would buy a case of 12 for $3 at the base warehouse sale.
    This was 1973 and I believe they were packaged in 1958.
    Good stuff and you even got a P-38 can opener, a roll of TP and a 4 pack of cigs.

Southalabama

Master
    I like the idea but,
    Having worked stocking groceries throughout my college I learned dates have nothing to do with when you get them. First in and first out sounds good. In reality it’s a myth.

Now if you periodically take all cans out and sort them accordingly it will work.

About Best you can do is take sharpie and write Best Buy date on end of can so you can see at a glance.

Southalabama

Master
    I wish I had several cases of the C-Rations I used to take camping in high school.
    Good stuff and you even got a P-38 can opener, a roll of TP and a 4 pack of cigs.
    Dad was in early Vietnam era. Said they ate World War II era rations.

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    Shelve stable butter, ghee, can be made or bought. I like to keep some around for cooking as it has a higher smoke point than butter.

Do NOT be thrown by Publix or any store carrying it in the cooler section. Publix had it in 3 places within the store, one is the cooler section with butter, and another chain had the shelve stable bacon in a cooler as well.

Bacon is one of the meats that do well in cans. They are used on submarines (edited from subs), and taste great. The powdered Kool aide, not so tasty. Powdered electrolyte drink additives are available and make a nice change in taste.

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    Ate some of those in JROTC trips in the mid-70s. Ham and Lima beans were about the tastiest as I recall.

We had a crazy guy, went from E1 to O6 in his career, as C.O. He took us out on National Guard exercises and Green Beenie jumps as field trips. One rainy cold March weekend eating C-Rats in a foxhole sitting on the sides to stay outta the mud in the bottom sent me to the Navy. We carried our beds and cooks WITH us! LOL

jettjon

Expert
    Years ago we purchased several cardboard can organizers of various sizes and set them up on big box store stainless steel shelves. Unfortunately the can organizer company is no longer in business but as others have mentioned there are many solutions on Amazon and even some DIY instructions for making your own out of cardboard. Protip, reinforce them with packing tape.

Top Bottom