Target Sports

Should your scope cost more than your rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I watched 2 guys 'zeroing' deer rifles which amounted to close to a 12" pie plate 'pattern' at 100 yards.

They weren't gonna hit much beyond 100 with their rifles, scopes, and technique.
    How hard is it to match POA to POI? Set the rifle on a rest, take a shot, dial the turrets until the center of the cross hairs intersect the projectile hole. Do it again tomorrow and the hole should be matched to the cross hairs. ZEROED. Easy Peasy. Don't take more than one round @ 100 yards for a hunter.

Brockskennedy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I love this topic...... this statement has been made since the beginning of time. To save you a long detailed response I would tell you that it is not the case any longer. Buying a quality optic that is clear and durable beyond necessity can be had for a very reasonable price. Technology and production has made it easier to produce a substantial better product for less.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always recommend a Ruder 10-22 be scoped with a Swarovski or Trijicon scope to eliminate any shooter errors.
    My first experience with Chinese glass (Vortex Diamondback) has gifted me with the perfect day scope for .22LR rifles. At about $300 with exceptionally short range parallax adjustments, a reticle suited for projectiles strongly affected by cross winds, and glass that has blurred edges at two hundred yards, it's perfect for .22 LR. Yet it has seriously cast doubt upon me purchasing any other Vortex Products. To my way of thinking, Chinese Glass matches Bourbon in plastic bottles, both of which may be better off if dropped and broken? LOL

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In 5-25 I have found that the Steiner with the MSR doesn't tunnel at the low end of magnification like the S&B, costs less, and is just as optically clear. https://finnaccuracy.com/pages/msr-reticle-development-and-features Yet either S&B 34mm PM II 3-12x50 P4F or Premier M-8541 34mm 3-12X50 P4F tend to work better Tactically. JMHO.

Attachments

• reticle_view.jpg
      reticle_view.jpg
      19.4 KB · Views: 54
    Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why is it that the conversation seems to trickle once we get the optics in the 3K or more range. Jhunter, help folks out would you? Can you explain in layman's terms what the 5-10 mag tunnelling is on S&B 5-25 variable mag scopes and why the somewhat lower price point Steiner's in the 5-25 mag that don't tunnel may be better options? Now the P4F or MSR is strictly an operator preference, and not much of a cost factor. But tunneling isn't a problem in the 3-12 mag range and that is why I suggest them over the 5-25 S&B Scopes. But the 3-15 MSR Steiner has thicker crosshairs which cover up more target at extreme distances, but may aid in snap shooting at close range. YMMV. Now do you need a $3K scope on a $3K Rifle? Can you spend $3K on a 5.56? Can you hit anything on the 1000 yard KD Range with a $3K 5.56? If you can, then you need that $3K scope to see it. JMHO.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I wouldn't base my opinion on Vortex off of the Diamondback

Nothing wrong with a $2,500 scope on a $2,500 rifle...mine works fine
    would I put a $200 scope on a $200 rifle....probably not. If it is a $200 shooter then I might put a $600 one on it

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm just glad my needs, wants, or desires will never exceed that which a Leupold MK IV or a lesser Vortex Viper won't provide.

The prices of some glass now days is like wow...
    But once you use wow, it's hard to go back. LOL. As a side note, am I the first one to mention a fault with S&B? Other than the price point? LOL.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I completely get it... my first Leupold MK IV and Trijicon ACOG gave me a wow factor, thankfully for my wallet, more than enough wow.
    Perhaps someday you shall get bitten by the F-Class bug! Nothing thins a wallet faster than time on the KD 1000 yard line unless it's time spent further down range. LOL. There is just something addictive about eating a hot dog, sipping your coffee, and still waiting to hear the steel ring. LOL. It's that urge to compete. Starts at 100, then 300, then 600, 1200, and now there are folks at the 2400 range. It just gets further away with every generation. Thank Goodness for ammo/rifle improvements. Just wish the costs went down as the distance goes up. JMHO. https://www.ssusa.org/content/new-nra-one-mile-extreme-long-range-rifle-match/

Last edited:

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, now that the thread has morphed into a high end scope review, has anybody tried the Leica PRS 5-30x56? Or the Zeiss LRP S5 5-25x56? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see a lot of chatter here on the forum about deer management and growing deer. A reticle is very useful tool for measurement. “How to use one” is something that should be covered more in depth for trophy whitetail hunting. Im not sure your BDC reticle will be useful but a mil or moa reticle could come in handy to measure spread, tine length, or main beam length. You would need to know the distance and German glass would also come in handy. I know many of you as soon as you see brown movement “ground check” age and sex. Chinese glass is all one needs for that.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    O
    I completely get it... my first Leupold MK IV and Trijicon ACOG gave me a wow factor, thankfully for my wallet, more than enough wow.
    I'll never forget what my dad told me in the 70"s. I was shopping for a a car stereo, his advice was
    "Don't let your ears hear what your paycheck can't afford." I guess that stands in many areas of life.
    I understand some folk's idea that they have to have the very best. I'm sure if I had the means, I might think that way. But alas.......

Top Bottom