• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    It is legal if you read the law and are compliant with the rules. I would also say you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth it if someone gets hurt or property damaged?" and "Is there anyone around that might call the law?"

Can You Shoot on Your Property in Florida?​

Yes, you can shoot on your property in Florida provided that you follow the following statute.

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

The 2023 Florida Statutes
    600x3_gradient.gif

Title XLVI
    CRIMES
    Chapter 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
    View Entire Chapter
    790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.
    (2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:
    (a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
    (b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or
    (c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.
    History.—s. 1, ch. 3289, 1881; RS 2683; GS 3626; RGS 5557; CGL 7743; s. 1, ch. 61-334; s. 745, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 78-17; s. 1, ch. 89-157; s. 229, ch. 99-245; s. 77, ch. 2012-7; s. 3, ch. 2012-108; s. 1, ch. 2016-12.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It is legal if you read the law and are compliant with the rules. I would also say you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth it if someone gets hurt or property damaged?" and "Is there anyone around that might call the law?"

Can You Shoot on Your Property in Florida?​

Yes, you can shoot on your property in Florida provided that the land is more than one acre and the firearm discharge does not pose any reasonably foreseeable risk to safety, life or property.

You do not need more than one acre... keep reading the statute you were so kind to post.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I interpret this to mean that the projectiles must not leave your property. I have 8 acres in Pace, but do not normally shot unless it is water moccasin or some critter control.
    There is now a noise ordinance about noises after 9pm got Santa Rosa County. I do have an indoor 50 ft firing range for .22 and need to get back to using it. Under an off grade house with block poured with concrete and rebar. Steel plate to stop the bullets.

(b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I interpret this to mean that the projectiles must not leave your property. I have 8 acres in Pace, but do not normally shot unless it is water moccasin or some critter control.
    There is now a noise ordinance about noises after 9pm got Santa Rosa County. I do have an indoor 50 ft firing range for .22 and need to get back to using it. Under an off grade house with block poured with concrete and rebar. Steel plate to stop the bullets.

Yep.

It's a poorly written law, nothing more than a gun oriented culpable negligence law.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I live in the middle of 110 acres of solid woods. Out of respect for what few neighbors I have I still shoot from inside my house and use a suppressor. This is my climate controlled target shooting and deer stand :): View attachment 252647
    That's what I should have built. Dang it. Great idea.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not allowed in the Pensacola city limits. I wanted to put a bullet trap in my garage and they said nope. Can’t do that either.

Pretty sure that violates Florida’s preemption law.

Might want to discuss that with their city attorneys.

FSS 790.333(8)

(8) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition use at sport shooting and training ranges, including the environmental effects of projectile deposition at sport shooting and training ranges.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty sure that violates Florida’s preemption law.

Might want to discuss that with their city attorneys.

FSS 790.333(8)

(8) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition use at sport shooting and training ranges, including the environmental effects of projectile deposition at sport shooting and training ranges.
    I am not sure and I would have to read carefully all of parts of the law about cities. Inside of a garage with a bullet trap would sound ok, but if you do make sure one has the bail bond money and a lawyer on tap. You may be right and the thugs that run pensacola might see it differently. You may be innocent but you just might have to go along for the ride anyway.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am not sure and I would have to read carefully all of parts of the law about cities. Inside of a garage with a bullet trap would sound ok, but if you do make sure one has the bail bond money and a lawyer on tap. You may be right and the thugs that run pensacola might see it differently. You may be innocent but you just might have to go along for the ride anyway.

I am sure. Local governments cannot restrict firearms ammunition or shooting activities. That’s the whole purpose of the preemption statue. This to create commonality among all local governments within the state. So long as you’re shooting activities do not pose a reasonable risk to others as far as injury or property damage you are lawful regardless of where you are at. There has been no change in the preemption statue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom