• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonTheRevelator

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So a guy wants to buy a gun that I own, but he's out of state and wants me to ship it to an FFL. So is there anything I should be aware of scam-wise? Also, how is payment usually sent/received? Any other tips/advice/warnings would be appreciated.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think money orders are the norm for firearm purchases from individuals out of state. You should wait until the money order clears, then ship the firearm. Either you or the other party will need to check and see if his FFL will accept firearm shipments from an individual. If not, you will have to pay an FFL here to ship out to the other FFL.

Sent from my phone that thinks it is smarter than I am. Please ignore any spelling, grammar or punctuation errors.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He will need to have the ffl contact you and sent you their liscence info.
    I'd require a USPS money order.....of course in hand before you ship.
    Call and verify the ffl....look them up.
    Ship FedEx or ups ground... Insured and signature confirmation...all should be good.
    Be sure and send a bill of sale and a copy of your drivers liscense with the shipment or the ffl will not transfer the item.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Accept only a USPS money order and wait to ship until you receive the payment. Ask that his FFL provide you a copy of the FFL. If he won't ( and some FFLs will not give a copy of their license to individuals), at least get the FFL's license number and verify it on the ATF's FFL-checker website. Make sure that the shipping address is the same as what the ATF's records indicate.

Some receiving FFLs will not accept a shipment from an individual. If that is the case -- get someone like Little Jack's Guns to ship it for you. He can mail USPS Priority Mail whereas you can not -- so the shipping cost savings offsets the transfer fee. If you are shipping directly, make a copy of your CWL or FL DL and include it in the package. The receiving FFL will need it to log your information into his log book. You can legally ship direct -- but you must use a common carrier (UPS or FedEx). My experience is that FedEx is the easiest to deal with -- and I have been successful in shipping handguns via FedEx ground for about $15, even though "company policy" says it should go overnight express ($50 or more).

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I sold two long guns in the past month or so. Never done it before. Yes, some FFL's will accept shipment from an individual but I didn't want to mess with it and chance doing something illegal. It was worth the small fee that Nate (Little Jack's Guns) charges to make sure it's done right. He made it easy and he's a good guy.
    Before I sell to somebody, I like to exchange several e-mails and maybe even talk to them on the phone to get a feel for what kind of person they are. If they can't write or speak in complete sentences, I don't mess with them. Too risky.
    BUT, I'm not in the business and I don't care if I sell a gun or not.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jon,

I'm not sure where you're located, but I know a good FFL just a little south of Fairhope if you need one to ship from.

Top Bottom