• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speghs

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it worth it? Wondering if I should buy some for my carry or just still with normal 9mm. Thoughts?

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I had this same dilemma a while back. I carried 115gr FMJ and really didn't see the need for JHP. I figured my 8 rounds in my shield would be just fine to stop an attacker, which I still believe that but after doing some research and reading on the ballistics and stopping power of JHP compared to FMJ I now carry JHP. I figure the less rounds I might have to fire to stop an attacker is worth the upgrade in ammunition.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're rocking just ball, chances are you are gonna over penetrate and possibly hit someone behind the threat. That'll turn a good shoot into a twisted anti gun story even if you stopped a mass murder. JHP IMO is the way to go if carrying for defense

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like the old Federal 9BPLE 115 JHP +p+ load or the newer 124 +P Gold Dot 53617 load . Both are effective & quite reasonably priced . For range use I like the Geco 124 FMJ .

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I would stick with good, purpose made self defense ammo.
    I personally like Hornady and Barnes.

Last edited:

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like Federal HST 124gr for carry ammo.

For concealed carry you should be carrying defensive hollowpoints (Horandy Critical Duty, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot,). FMJ can over penetrate and are not designed for stopping an attacker.

This chart will help a lot too with lots of great data.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

The only way I'd consider carrying ball ammo for self defense is if I'm running a .380ACP and using the following
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This question brings to mind two things...one is the georgia highway shooting back in the 90's where the bad guy absorbed 27 rounds of 9mm ball to the limbs, torso, and face from a deputy. He was successful in stabbing the deputy eight times with a butcher knife before bleeding out. He was determined to not be on drugs and was mentally insane...the second is a close quarters self defense situation that I was involved in where there were other people directly behind the knife wielding target that was three feet away (roughly 20-25 people were about 3-25 feet behind him) and I refused to fire my 45 acp loaded with 165gr corbons because I knew that I would hit a teenager or two from over penetration based upon my previous ammo testing. I had to beat him down physically. Bullets will over penetrate. Ball will definitely over penetrate.

The answer to your question in my opinion is to buy the best hollow point ammo that your gun likes and shoots 100% reliably with great accuracy. It's not a one time buy item either. You will need five boxes at a minimum to start determining if it is reliable in your weapon. Premium ammo is called such for a reason. No bullet stops a bad guy 100% of the time but if you can do anything better to increase the odds of you or a loved one surviving an encounter isn't worth the $100-$150 ?

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm partial to Federal HST 147gr. Standard Pressure. A little less penetration and a little more expansion. And the American Eagle 147gr. FMJ pretty well mimics the HST for cheaper practice loads.

Last edited:

Speghs

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been looking at the Federal. Thanks for all the replies just wanted to make sure I was going to be buying quality ammo. Not some gimmick ammo that says it is better, but serves no extra purpose. Will be shot through a glock 19 MOS gen4 so it should run.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Any good quality bonded hollowpoint should do the the trick. The Gold Dot 124 gr JHP and the Federal 124 gr JHP are both very well proven loads in the law enforcement community and should work equally well for legally armed civilians.

Top Bottom