• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    A friend of mine filmed this over the weekend: This field we are hunting is 2000 yards long and 1000 yards wide of flat earth with no cover so I tend to take longer shots than normal. This particular group in the video is 120 yards from us. The other hunter was using a suppressed 300 blackout with factory barnes 110gr black tips. After watching the 6.8 knock hog after hog over and watching his run off he is switching calibers. All hogs were recovered.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Go to utube and signup for his channel, LWRC liked it so much they sent him their new Six8 to try out for a year, he films all his hunts, there are also some comparison videos or night vision and htermal there.

w69dy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always wanted to hunt hogs at night! I've got a few good setups waiting to alway slay some hogs at night!

Posted this video on my Facebook gun page- Smack, Rack, and Fire.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    another
    Brian:
    Hunted TBR again. Not much happened except for watching deer. Packed up and headed out and came across another hog at the last feeder on the other side of the dam that I walk by each direction when I hunt TBR.

I got set up on the Primos tripod Trigger Sticks as a monopod and realized I had too much adrenaline and had to reset with the legs splayed. It really helped with steadying the shot. In all, I waited for about 3 minutes for the hog to raise its head up to where I could get a shot, but it kept its head down, snarfing up all the corn.

As it was quite breezy and the winds tend to swirl where I was, I went ahead and took the shot over the crest/edge of the dam, dropping the boar in place, DRT.

This is funny, Brian generally puts out Angry Bird on his kills for his kids and also bakes them tollhouse cookies every kill

w69dy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there a place to test out your thermal setup at night time? Never tested mine and really need to. I wanna kill a hog badddd day or night lol

w69dy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have both thermals and Night-vision but haven't tested either. Bought them moved then was force to move to the city then forced to move again. Smh

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Is there a place to test out your thermal setup at night time? Never tested mine and really need to. I wanna kill a hog badddd day or night lol

My gun club (Pensacola Rifle and Pistol Club) (north of Cantonment off of Hwy 29) allows us to shoot up until 9PM and bring a guest. It'd certainly be a drive for you, but we could meet and go there. Few ways to test shoot thermal: Heat up black steel plate and hang it to shoot at. Staple a chemical hand/foot warmer to cardboard backer for a thermal target. Freeze containers of water and they show up well with thermal. There's probably other ways too.

Is your thermal a clip-on or a stand-alone or both? What is your night vision...clip-on, PVS14, or stand-alone or what?

If thermal clip-on and your day optic is already sighted in, you just need to verify your thermal and day optic play together well. That would be easy and relatively fast. If stand-alone and it's never been sighted in, now that could take a bit longer. Let us know some specifics, and we can see if we can help you. When I got my thermal, internally it wasn't lined up and would throw the bullet impact off from what my day optic was set for (when used as a clip-on) (it worked perfectly as a stand-alone), so it's important to verify the clip-on and day optic play together well. The maker corrected it and extended my warrantee for my trouble.

Oh for anyone reading this and finds some of my terms confusing: A "Clip-on" night vision or thermal unit mounts on a rail in front of your day optic (scope or red dot) (some may even attach directly to the objective end of the day optic). If all is working as it should, you look through your day optic and thus also through/at the thermal or night vision unit. Generally the standard is that the clip-on thermal or night vision unit won't cause the bullet impact point to be more than 1 moa off from the bullet impact point of the day optic without the thermal or night vision unit in place. Some units are designed as "stand-alone" meaning they have built in reticles and windage and elevation adjustments and are not used with a day optic. Some units can be both stand-alone and clip-on.

A PVS-14 (standard USGI individual issue night vision) if put in front of a day optic will throw the bullet impact off, as it was not designed for such use and doesn't have the internal structure to provide for same. It can be used BEHIND a low power (normally a red dot) (red dot must have a NV setting or the too bright of red dot could damage the NV) day optic on a low recoiling rifle (it wasn't designed to handle much recoil...it won't reliably take .308 recoil for example, but .223 is fine).

I'm not an expert, only a amateur with some experience in this stuff, but willing to try and help.

Last edited:

w69dy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My gun club (Pensacola Rifle and Pistol Club) (north of Cantonment off of Hwy 29) allows us to shoot up until 9PM and bring a guest. It'd certainly be a drive for you, but we could meet and go there. Few ways to test shoot thermal: Heat up black steel plate and hang it to shoot at. Staple a chemical hand/foot warmer to cardboard backer for a thermal target. Freeze containers of water and they show up well with thermal. There's probably other ways too.

Is your thermal a clip-on or a stand-alone or both? What is your night vision...clip-on, PVS14, or stand-alone or what?

If thermal clip-on and your day optic is already sighted in, you just need to verify your thermal and day optic play together well. That would be easy and relatively fast. If stand-alone and it's never been sighted in, now that could take a bit longer. Let us know some specifics, and we can see if we can help you. When I got my thermal, internally it wasn't lined up and would throw the bullet impact off from what my day optic was set for (when used as a clip-on) (it worked perfectly as a stand-alone), so it's important to verify the clip-on and day optic play together well. The maker corrected it and extended my warrantee for my trouble.

Oh for anyone reading this and finds some of my terms confusing: A "Clip-on" night vision or thermal unit mounts on a rail in front of your day optic (scope or red dot) (some may even attach directly to the objective end of the day optic). If all is working as it should, you look through your day optic and thus also through/at the thermal or night vision unit. Generally the standard is that the clip-on thermal or night vision unit won't cause the bullet impact point to be more than 1 moa off from the bullet impact point of the day optic without the thermal or night vision unit in place. Some units are designed as "stand-alone" meaning they have built in reticles and windage and elevation adjustments and are not used with a day optic. Some units can be both stand-alone and clip-on.

A PVS-14 (standard USGI individual issue night vision) if put in front of a day optic will throw the bullet impact off, as it was not designed for such use and doesn't have the internal structure to provide for same. It can be used BEHIND a low power (normally a red dot) (red dot must have a NV setting or the too bright of red dot could damage the NV) day optic on a low recoiling rifle (it wasn't designed to handle much recoil...it won't reliably take .308 recoil for example, but .223 is fine).

I'm not an expert, only a amateur with some experience in this stuff, but willing to try and help.

Wow thanks for the reply and invite. As soon as I get settled I will take you up on your offer. As for my set up; my thermal is both clip/stand alone. My NV is clip on. I just make sure they line up with my scopes. I have 300 blkout set up with rails which should make setup a breeze but not sure how the NV will line up with it. Height alinement might be a problem for both. Guess once I get my garage set up and my safe unpacked I will line em up. Both are brand new! Smh they need to be broken in ASAP lol thanks again for the awesome right up and tips on how to enhance the targets at night.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Switching from a 300 blackout to a 6.8? Because you were dropping them with the 6.8 and he wasnt with the 300? Sounds your just better shooter, not the caliber. Hahaha

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Wow thanks for the reply and invite. As soon as I get settled I will take you up on your offer. As for my set up; my thermal is both clip/stand alone. My NV is clip on. I just make sure they line up with my scopes. I have 300 blkout set up with rails which should make setup a breeze but not sure how the NV will line up with it. Height alinement might be a problem for both. Guess once I get my garage set up and my safe unpacked I will line em up. Both are brand new! Smh they need to be broken in ASAP lol thanks again for the awesome right up and tips on how to enhance the targets at night.

Mine don't line up perfectly either, but it doesn't seem to matter. When my thermal is used as a clip-on AND you might be shooting with the thermal set on digital zoom (as opposed to leaving the thermal simply set on 1x), it does have a procedure to go through to tell the thermal where the day optic dot or crosshairs are looking on the screen of the thermal so when the zoom is used, it will keep that part of the viewing screen centered on the day optic and not affect bullet impact point. If not using the thermal zoom (I.e, you have it in front of a magnified day optic), no need to do the zoom calibration. 99% of the time I use thermal as a clip-on and only do the zoom calibration when I use it with a non magnified red dot sight. Of course every maker of clip-ons will have their own idea of how to set them up.

I look forward to looking through a clip-on NV unit...never seen a unit in person where I could actually do some viewing through one. Since they are clip-on, if you were to use them as clip-on, and your day optics are already sighted in, and you'd be shooting a 300BLK, we may be able to verify their impact point right at my little farm north of Milton (or at least with the thermal since it can be used in daytime). If I don't feel like driving to the range, I sometimes hang an AR500 steel plate on the pasture fence, set up a table, take a shot w/o thermal, and then take a shot w/thermal to verify the bullet hits are at the same impact point or within the 1 moa standard.

w69dy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sound like a plan! Let me settle on my new house (1st week of sept) then we can set up a date to blow stuff up. Lol

Top Bottom