• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Should be a pretty straight forward project. Be sure to use a good quality gunsmith type screwdriver that fits perfectly. Take your time! I prefer my new scope mounts to have Allen head mounting screws due to being less likely to strip head. Good luck!

*edit: It's also a good idea to degrease the thread holes on the receiver w/ a Q-tip dipped in denatured alcohol and then put a dab of Blue Lock-tite on the screw threads.

Last edited:

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Should be a pretty straight forward project. Be sure to use a good quality gunsmith type screwdriver that fits perfectly. Take your time! I prefer my new scope mounts to have Allen head mounting screws due to being less likely to strip head. Good luck!

*edit: It's also a good idea to degrease the thread holes on the receiver w/ a Q-tip dipped in denatured alcohol and then put a dab of Blue Lock-tite on the screw threads.
    Screws all came out [life long mechanic i have my ways lol] I will hit my lgs for mounts then get serious about leveling everything . I am not going to use loc-tite for 2 reasons they are very small and i do not want to shear one loc tighted in later on and 2 its a 300 win mag .....they never get used much lol...thank you for the tips

SLTW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What size scope is it? Like tube diameter? Just buy a quality base and quality rings. Should take 15 mins to install and level. Scope rings are very low torque like 15 to 30 inch pounds max.

Some quality rings, Seekins, vortex, nightforce, warne, badger.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Screws all came out [life long mechanic i have my ways lol] I will hit my lgs for mounts then get serious about leveling everything . I am not going to use loc-tite for 2 reasons they are very small and i do not want to shear one loc tighted in later on and 2 its a 300 win mag .....they never get used much lol...thank you for the tips
    The green..I think.. is actually the correct choice for the size of screws. As long as you understand when you use the blue like recommended everywhere on bases...not rings...you will/should use heat to remove them like you would with red you should be fine.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What size scope is it? Like tube diameter? Just buy a quality base and quality rings. Should take 15 mins to install and level. Scope rings are very low torque like 15 to 30 inch pounds max.

Some quality rings, Seekins, vortex, nightforce, warne, badger.
    One inch tube and i will see what my lgs has in stock for mounts . I have it ready to be leveled and clamped down .

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The green..I think.. is actually the correct choice for the size of screws. As long as you understand when you use the blue like recommended everywhere on bases...not rings...you will/should use heat to remove them like you would with red you should be fine.
    green used to be permanent locker /cylindrical retainer back in my automotive days .

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh you might be stuck with Burris tactical rings or something. Regardless, way better than past rings you had. Not a lot of options for quality 1 inch rings.
    The see through are my go to mounts for my old happy hunting grounds in maine where you walk through heavy brush and chance a bear meet up but usually its long range shooting

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh you might be stuck with Burris tactical rings or something. Regardless, way better than past rings you had. Not a lot of options for quality 1 inch rings.
    You were spot [pun] on the lower ones made a big difference along with match ammo . The leveling process recommended didn't quite work out even with a half dozen different types of levels [the work bench looked like the launch pad space dock] used the MARK 1 eye ball in the end . A few more little things then its on to 300 qualification. thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom