• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Won't be long before, we will be charged with a crime because we stated a relative fought under the Confederacy. OMG the shame, I'll be a racist criminal.......

My Great Great Grandfather served with the 1st North Carolina Cavalry Regiment, Company F "Cabarrus Rangers". Initially they were formed as 9th Regiment, North Carolina State Troops. In October 1861 after their initial training, they were placed under the command of General J.E. B. Stuart’s Cavalry Brigade.

He enlisted on 15 June 1861 and ended his military service on 16 May 1865 at Salisbury, Rowan County, North Carolina, where he was paroled. He took the Oath of Allegiance at Salisbury on 5 June 1865, regaining his rights of citizenship after having served as a Confederate soldier.

His first engagement was 10 Nov 1861 at Skirmish at Hunter’s Mills, Virginia.
    His last engagement was 3 Apr 1865 at Scott’s Cross Roads and Battle of Namozine Church.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Won't be long before, we will be charged with a crime because we stated a relative fought under the Confederacy. OMG the shame, I'll be a racist criminal.......

My Great Great Grandfather served with the 1st North Carolina Cavalry Regiment, Company F "Cabarrus Rangers". Initially they were formed as 9th Regiment, North Carolina State Troops. In October 1861 after their initial training, they were placed under the command of General J.E. B. Stuart’s Cavalry Brigade.

He enlisted on 15 June 1861 and ended his military service on 16 May 1865 at Salisbury, Rowan County, North Carolina, where he was paroled. He took the Oath of Allegiance at Salisbury on 5 June 1865, regaining his rights of citizenship after having served as a Confederate soldier.

His first engagement was 10 Nov 1861 at Skirmish at Hunter’s Mills, Virginia.
    His last engagement was 3 Apr 1865 at Scott’s Cross Roads and Battle of Namozine Church.
    Many do not know it, but some blacks did serve on the confederate side. So will their descendants have problems.

1596035882664.png

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The war of northern aggression was so much more complicated than people want to believe...
    And it was brewing for 20 years before it actually came to blows. The war for independence from England was scarcely over for more than 40 years before the rumblings began. And there are documented ordnance transfers from northern armories to southern armories before the war for years building up to it, by men who became well known after the shooting started

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The war of northern aggression was so much more complicated than people want to believe...
    Since some call it "The war of northern aggression" and the south fired first and called themselves rebels, yes things were more complicated for sure. There were anti-union riots in new your city and pro-union counties in the deep south.
    Happened before Lincoln was in office
    The Battle of Fort Sumter (April 12–13, 1861) was the bombardment of Fort Sumter near Charleston, South Carolina by the South Carolina militia (the Confederate Army did not yet exist), and the return gunfire and subsequent surrender by the United States Army, that started the American Civil War. Following the declaration of secession by South Carolina on December 20, 1860, its authorities demanded that the U.S. Army abandon its facilities in Charleston Harbor. On December 26, Major Robert Anderson of the U.S. Army surreptitiously moved his small command from the vulnerable Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island to Fort Sumter, a substantial fortress built on an island controlling the entrance of Charleston Harbor. An attempt by U.S. President James Buchanan to reinforce and resupply Anderson using the unarmed merchant ship Star of the West failed when it was fired upon by shore batteries on January 9, 1861. South Carolina authorities then seized all Federal property in the Charleston area except for Fort Sumter.
    A civil war almost began in the Same Area when Andrew Jackson was in office some years earlier.
    Jackson asked a congressman from South Carolina to give a message to the nullifiers in his state. "Tell them," Jackson said, "that they can talk, and write resolutions, and print threats to their hearts' content. But if one drop of blood is shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can get my hands on to the first tree I can find." Someone questioned if Jackson would go so far as to hang someone. A man answered: "When Jackson begins to talk about hanging, they can begin to look for the ropes."

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Since some call it "The war of northern aggression" and the south fired first and called themselves rebels, yes things were more complicated for sure. There were anti-union riots in new your city and pro-union counties in the deep south.
    Happened before Lincoln was in office

A civil war almost began in the Same Area when Andrew Jackson was in office some years earlier.
    The shit is cyclical. The fan goes round and round. Lol. Here it comes again

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The shit is cyclical. The fan goes round and round. Lol. Here it comes again
    The wheel turns again and again. When the wheel stops for us it will be because we fell into the dust. All great countries are only great for a finite period of time and usually internal discord weakens them enough that outside forces can knock them down. Hopefully we as the USA still have more years as a great nation in front of us. Rome went through civil war and ended up as an empire ruled by the Caesars until they became too lazy to fight their own wars and also other things.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Civil War, War of Northern Aggression, War of Southern Oppression, Second Revolutionary War, The Late Great Unpleasantness With Our Yankee Neighbors. I grew up hearing all sorts of Southern terms for the war, along with some funny statements....

Such as "We might have came in second, but you came in next to last!".

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Outnumbered 13 to one but ended with the higher body count. I don't like the term civil war because it was not.
    Basically the north had more money and greater industrial capacity vs the south that had better military leaders. I suspect the farm boys of south carolina were not any more skilled than those from illinois or wisconsin and so I would credit superior leadership for the south's ability to give a better fight. The brits sold guns to both sides, but did buy cotton from the south even though there was a union blockade.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I am stunned by the number of people who do not believe me when I inform them command of the union forces was first offered to Lee. Knowing the territory vice just the map, as well as defending your home, family and neighbors from an invading force probably also helped Frommer. Where are you from from Frommer? I am from NC. The NC State Legislature did not vote to secede When this news reached Lincoln he ordered NC to attack TN. The reply is still famous. "Sir, you shall get no troops from NC". NC paid dearly for refusing to kill their neighbors. NC suffered more KiA and WiA than all other states combined (the true volunteer state). Troops from NC also made up the majority of the ANV.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am stunned by the number of people who do not believe me when I inform them command of the union forces was first offered to Lee. Knowing the territory vice just the map, as well as defending your home, family and neighbors from an invading force probably also helped Frommer. Where are you from from Frommer? I am from NC. The NC State Legislature did not vote to secede When this news reached Lincoln he ordered NC to attack TN. The reply is still famous. "Sir, you shall get no troops from NC". NC paid dearly for refusing to kill their neighbors. NC suffered more KiA and WiA than all other states combined (the true volunteer state). Troops from NC also made up the majority of the ANV.

I know you asked Frommer, but my later family was/is from Kannapolis, Concord, and China Grove area, the earlier family from the surrounding areas Cold Creek etc. They were German immigrants and came to the US prior to the Revolutionary War.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know you asked Frommer, but my later family was/is from Kannapolis, Concord, and China Grove area, the earlier family from the surrounding areas Cold Creek etc. They were German immigrants and came to the US prior to the Revolutionary War.
    At the time of the civil war the part of my family that was in the USA at the time was in the north. Basically as the centuries rolled by they migrated west to Montana and then further west. Some of us are now south. So if anyone fought in the civil war, they were probably with the union, but I have no direct knowledge of such one way or the other. Some at that time were in Wisconsin among the germans that were there. My grandfathers were born about 1867, germany, and 1873, Russian Empire, obviously were not in the civil war.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Outnumbered 13 to one but ended with the higher body count. I don't like the term civil war because it was not.

I read an article when I was stationed at Keesler AFB back in 2000, wish I still had it. But it stated something along the lines it took 2 point some odd million Yankee invaders 4 years to beat some hundred odd thousand, ill equipped Confederate defenders.

When on to state that the reason was that the Rebs were also doing a lot of fighting in their home states defending their homea, along with out of state battles. That the South wasn't interested in conquering territories as much as trying to prevent the conquering of theirs.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    At the time of the civil war the part of my family that was in the USA at the time was in the north. Basically as the centuries rolled by they migrated west to Montana and then further west. Some of us are now south. So if anyone fought in the civil war, they were probably with the union, but I have no direct knowledge of such one way or the other. Some at that time were in Wisconsin among the germans that were there. My grandfathers were born about 1867, germany, and 1873, Russian Empire, obviously were not in the civil war.

Thanks. Russia certainly had their own entanglements! That is my wife's specialty, European (particularly Russian history).

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks. Russia certainly had their own entanglements! That is my wife's specialty, European (particularly Russian history).
    The thing is Russia is not only european. True it was founded by varangian vikings out of Sweden, but for years they fought turkic and other asian peoples. Afghanistan used to be on their frontier and China still is.
    A short time after the death of Genghis Khan, the most famous man in Russian History made a deal with the Mongols allowing him to defeat first Swedes and then Teutonic Knight Crusaders. Picture below he is talking to a Mongol overlord about 1242 from the famous movie Alexander Nevsky.
    The Battle on the Ice (Russian: Ледовое побоище, Ledovoye poboishche; German: Schlacht auf dem Eise; Estonian: Jäälahing; German: Schlacht auf dem Peipussee) was fought between the Republic of Novgorod led by Prince Alexander Nevsky and the forces of the Livonian Order and Bishopric of Dorpat led by Bishop Hermann of Dorpat on April 5, 1242, at Lake Peipus. The battle is notable for having been fought largely on the frozen lake, which gave the battle its name.

A significant defeat was sustained by the crusaders during the Northern Crusades, which were directed against pagans and Eastern Orthodox Christians rather than Muslims in the Holy Land. The Crusaders' defeat in the battle marked the end of their campaigns against the Orthodox Novgorod Republic and other Slavic territories for the next century.
    1596069555436.png

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I am not sure about any participation in the civil war, but my family hails from North Carolina since the 1700s. Many are still there.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That lee was asked to fight for the Union is believable. He did well in the earlier Mexican war and it just made good sense. The country would have been much better off if the Union have won the war in the first several months to avoid a war that devastated large regions of the south and resulted in the deaths of so many.

Top Bottom