• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm looking to buy a safe and trying to do a little research and window shopping. Looking to keep it at around $600. A 20 gun should be more than enough, I only have 5 long guns and realistically won't add to that number. I mostly need it to keep my firearms away from kids, but would like it to also be affective if I'm ever unfortunate enough to be burglarized. We went to Costco, field &stream, and TSC yesterday and plan on going to Mike Wards to look tomorrow. I've been reading online and watching videos on YouTube and am leaning towards the Liberty Centurion, I like the idea it's made in the USA and Liberty seems to be regarded as a quality safe. I guess I'm just looking for any input some might offer.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Academy has been running some pretty good deals in the last few months on Cannon safes. I have not done any research on them but for the size they seem pretty cheap. One of my main concerns is the fire protection factor. I wonder how accurate the ratings are that the manufacturers put on their products.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I wonder the same thing about the fire rating, I haven't look to see if the fire rating is UL tested or just at the factory. My main concerns are keeping them away from my kids and theft. I'll check out Mikes and Academy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Has anyone had trouble with the electric keypad? I like the digital, quicker access, ease of changing combination. I just can't help but think it's going to give me a problem.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a cannon safe which is a 28 gun safe, you'd be hard pressed to fit 28 in it unless they are all handguns. However that's the case with them all. I actually ordered mine from this site, that was 4 years ago but they had the best price when I was looking. I would suggest getting something bigger than what you need as you'll inevitably outgrow it, even if you never intend to now.

Mine has the electronic keypad and that thing is awesome, so easy and fast. I highly recommend it.

https://www.gunsafes.com/

jmm193

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    +1 on Mike's; I picked up a 68 gun safe from them on sale for $1000, delivered...if you can wait until the holidays you can find a lot of good deals. I've had no trouble with the keypad to date, almost a year in. Don't know about all safes, but mine came with two backup keys should the keypad fail.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone had trouble with the electric keypad? I like the digital, quicker access, ease of changing combination. I just can't help but think it's going to give me a problem.

Mine has the digital keypad and I can punch in the 6 digit code super fast.

As for having problems mine has a key too, I assume all or most brands do. You just pull the keypad off and the key slot is underneath it. If a battery dies you can pull the front off the keypad and replace it.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have a Liberty Franklin 35 which I was lucky to find at an estate sale for less than half of what a new one costs. It's a great safe. Mine has an S&G dial lock which is what I wanted.
    I read a lot when I was looking and the consensus was that the electronic lock will eventually fail and that the S&G is the best brand of lock.
    With that being said, I also have a smaller cube-type safe just for important papers etc and it has a non-brand electronic lock.
    It hasn't given me any trouble in 3 years.
    On occasion Sam's Club has a decent safe for around $600. Also, you might do a search of Craig's List in surrounding cities. Scott's in Jay has a great selection but they generally carry ones that are over $600.
    Free delivery means a lot because, before I decided to move mine myself, I got quoted $400. You will need a trailer, a couple of friends and a stout dolly.
    Mine weighs 800 lbs but one you are talking about will probably weigh 400-500.
    Also, free delivery usually means curbside. They will charge you if you want them to put it in the house. Each step is usually $25.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm going to be looking for safes this year too. At this point I've pretty much decided on a Liberty. Reading and watching videos has convinced me they are very well built. Ever see the pictures of the tornado aftermath where the house is gone but the Liberty safe is still standing there looking good as new? Or the guys with big prybars trying to get into several different brands of safes and only the Liberty defeats them? Also, I heard a radio ad the other day that said if safe is ever damaged by a fire or attempted burglary they will ship a brand new one to you. So unless another company can show me they are built that good and will give a warranty like that Liberty is what I will get.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I cant remember the brand, but I saw in an ad a safe that has a rotary turnstyle for long guns...this seems like the most efficient way to store long guns...like a walmart display case with armor! I have a winchester 24 gun safe...bought at a tractor supply store and it will hold nowhere near 24 guns. It may have slots for them, but you wouldnt stack/bump/jam your firearms in it so always buy much bigger than you think you need and if you are a person who enjoys shooting sports...start a kitty, $20/wk, to get started on your second safe!

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good stuff here.

Got a 24Cannon with rotary Dial.
    Like it OK but those video test are disturbing how easy it is to defeat.

Can only get 14 long arms in comfortably.
    Touching I guess you could get maybe 5 more in.

Craming/stuffing and slamming the door maybe 24. LOL

Bigger! Must go bigger!!!

Edit:
    Moving---Not sure how heavy mine is, but I moved it easy-peasy by myself using 6-1" PVC pipes as rollers cut about 20" long.

Moved it like those ancient Egyptians moved those pyramid stones.
    Push and move rollers.

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also, if you have "very" important papers, deeds, titles, paper money collection or even high end jewelry, you'll need to keep them "safer" from heat and smoke damage.
    To protect these items, buy a few of those small hand-held safes for storing these types of important documents in.
    These smaller safes have fire ratings of 30+ minutes right by themselves. So now you'll have double fire protection if placed in your gun safe. And they're large enough to hold pistols in, and still have room for important papers to fit inside and small enough to stack in your gun safe.
    These small safes aren't that great for security, but offer excellent fire and smoke ratings to protect your valuables.
    :rockon:

Dead Eye Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking to buy a safe and trying to do a little research and window shopping. Looking to keep it at around $600. A 20 gun should be more than enough, I only have 5 long guns and realistically won't add to that number. I mostly need it to keep my firearms away from kids, but would like it to also be affective if I'm ever unfortunate enough to be burglarized. We went to Costco, field &stream, and TSC yesterday and plan on going to Mike Wards to look tomorrow. I've been reading online and watching videos on YouTube and am leaning towards the Liberty Centurion, I like the idea it's made in the USA and Liberty seems to be regarded as a quality safe. I guess I'm just looking for any input some might offer.
    Thanks in advance.

My son and I have been using Cannon safes we purchased several years ago at Tractor Supply. He had a problem with his digital lock and they promptly sent him a new lock. I bought my safe first and my only regret is not buying a larger safe. I understand your need to stay within budget and primary concern to keep your guns out off reach of children. If none of your guns have sentimental value or exceed the target price you should be able to make an easy decision.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I went over budget but I went with a Liberty 24 gun with a digital keypad. I think I'll be happy with it, besides the wife said if I fill it up I can buy another.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My safe is listed as a 34 gun model. Maybe 34 LCPs. I've got ro rip out the shelving and remodel it. It fits a few rifles but the shelf is too low to take a Moss berg 500 with 20" barrel.

S_SHELL

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    just remember the safes are fire resistant, not firefighter resistant... they're not waterproof, so put your paperwork in ziploc bags 'cause your safe aint waterproof just fire resistant

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I raised the shelf on one side of mine so there's about 10" of space under it to store handguns in boxes, etc. Then I put the short long guns such as ARs and 10/22s on that side. The other side holds the longer long guns.
    I also found those wire handgun racks help with storing handguns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom