• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any folks here come up with a workable solution for defending an RV? Cutting loose with bullets or buckshot in an aluminum vehicle in a crowded RV park is not really an option. I'm thinking about keeping my Keltec KSG loaded with rubber buckshot/slugs in one tube and something lethal in the other tube. Just wondering if the rubber projectiles would still penetrate the exterior walls of an RV? Anyone have experience with the rubber projectiles?

Thanks.

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In my 5th wheel, I keep a Mossberg 500 loaded with #8 bird shot but would also like to know if others have experience with rubber projectiles. I also carry a few buckshot rounds for social work outside the RV.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    A 556 in a maneuverable configuration. There's a nice one for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 556 in a maneuverable configuration. There's a nice one for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Winchester defender 20 gauge. 8 rounds of #6 bird shot. In the house. Light, fast, just starting to spread at 15ft Pretty much a solid mass of lead under 20ft Just my personal choice, light and easy for the wife to use also.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure rubber buckshot will punch through and RV wall. Really anything you will depend your life on, that will be sending a projectile will punch through a wall. In an RV I would just stick with a full size pistol and a light, because of how small it is. It makes it a little easier to move around in a small space like that.... Birdshot, buckshot, frangible, bonded, solids, copper, etc will all punch through most walls..... Just pick your poison and make them shots count.

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My RV defense gun is whatever my EDC is. These days that is a Glock 19 or Shield 9mm. If I was in big bear country my EDC would probably supplemented with a 18" 12 ga loaded w/ slugs or .44 mag carbine.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cutting loose with bullets or buckshot in an aluminum vehicle in a crowded RV park is not really an option.
    Why not?

If you have to defend yourself outside the RV park, say in a Walmart parking lot, are you going to take/use your shotgun loaded with bird shot/rubber bullets or are you going to take/use your EDC pistol loaded with hollow points?

The threat of missing and hitting someone other than your intended target is no less of a concern outside the RV park than it is inside the RV park. Use what ever firearm you are most comfortable with and the most practiced with.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    aluminum is surprisingly tough, those who ever shot highway signs with birdshot, or buckshot would know...they will stop most projectiles from 20' away, or less.

slugs, .45acp, 9mm fmj, all will go through...

frangible is the way to go, dumps all the energy in a soft target

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most RV arent very wide and if you are in the bed room that dosent have a slide out a hand gun is the only choise. Even in the living room short long gun will be hard to work like in the movies.
    Hand gun Xds is my choise as I always have it on me unless I am in bed and then it is beside the bed.
    Dry run a long gun and I think you will go the hand gun way. And explain to your wife all the scraches on the walls from trying that long gun. Dont forget to try running it at the speed you would have to swing it for real.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Go get you some Glaser Blue or Glaser Silver ammo. Both problems solved. No penetration thru your camper, and 100% kill rate of the attacker.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Anyone here ever shoot an exterior door with a premium 9mm hollowpoint out of a concealed carry piece?

Saw someone not properly clear his m&p 9c, then touched off a 124 federal hst. Passed through the double glass of an exterior door, hit the dry wall at an angle, grazed the carpet(shaved a small groove in said carpet), and then came to rest a couple feet past. Total distance covered was about 50", and the round was not embedded in anything just laying on the floor. It was an interesting situation with plenty to gleen about handling and safety, but I also learned aboit pistol rounds and barriers.

I would strongly suggest that whatever weapon you shoot the best and are most framiliar with, take it to a low light/no light course, learn how to use a weapon and light combo(stand alone or attached), and use that as your carry and home defense. I wouldn't rely on rubber/frangible/magic bullets, and I wouldn't choose a new or unframiliar system to try and manipulate in the dark out of a dead sleep in confined quarters. Just my opinion.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO - - - - Do not choose ANY TYPE of the "less than lethal " loadings. [For the obvious reasons]
    To me the "perfect" SD/RV defense would be a 12ga pump shotgun. A Rem 870 or a Ithaca 37 would be my choice. With a bbl length of 12-14 inches, cylinder bore choke with a "duck bill" installed. My choice of loads would be 2 3/4" shell with a max load of #4 or #6 shot.
    The bbl length would obviously be a problem,especially with traveling from state to state in the RV. Another concern would be,as using a firearm inside a house,the other people or pets in the immediate area.
    Another choice could be a KelTec PM-30 shooting a very light bullet at hyper velocity. ---SAWMAN

Last edited:

rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would go with a frangible handgun load. Birdshot is better than nothing but will just make a flesh wound. Maybe step up to #5 or 6 shot size in 410? But unless someone is doped up birdshot would still likely persuade them to move on regardless. Also, a pistol round in FMJ will penetrate walls like nothing. Don't think #5 shot would go thru nearly as much. I think running thru some what if drills would be a great idea.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    maybe you could get Chuck Norris to ride along ? but then again if anything did happen there would be nothing left to your RV ?

Surprised no one mentioned the judge pistol.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting Op and comments. You can degrade the lethality of what you use in consideration of neighbors but you do the same for the BG. The BG will not follow the same considerations and this has great potential to leave you out gunned. You can be faster and more accurate with your considerate choice but not stop the threat before he/they impose a show stopper on you. Many of the alternative options listed would be devastating within internal RV distances.

Primarily, I would use the same handgun as used in the House and same ammo as carried on the street. I would keep a 12ga on hand especially if going to remote areas. Some States are very restrictive on firearms, mags, and how carried: know before you go!

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    any one that want to come and see what a silver tip HP 9mm will do to a shop steel door , is welcome to come and see , went through and went an other 40 ft straight through an other steel siding and out. just come by. rubber buck shot would work in side the dist. of a RV got some if you want to try them, have all ready tried it just My 5 cents jj

Top Bottom