• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Light82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am needing to build a canopy for my RV for the upcoming summer. However, I am not experienced in structural design, so I thought I would ask here for some comments. I am thinking of building a wooden rectangular structure 16’x32’ out of 6”x6” posts and suspended by another eight 6”x6” posts on the corners and in the middle of long sides. Canvas will be stretched across the 16’x32’ top and secured by wire through grommets in the canvas.

My concern is the middle of the 16’ side with supports only on the ends. Will a 6x6 post of that length require a support in the middle? I’m trying to avoid putting in an additional support so that I can move the RV.

Any advice or experiences are appreciated.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For a 16' span you are going to need to use trusses. I would not use wire to secure canvas even with grommets, it will tear! Better to use something like bungee's if using a tarp/ canvass. All your corners will need diagonal bracing lag bolted to your 6 x 6 posts. I used to have a picture of my nieces ex-husband about 20 x 40 pole barn that he built in Elberta after hurricane Sally. (He did NOT use corner or diagonal bracing because he is an engineer and he knows what he is doing! rolled eyes) Good luck!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I am needing to build a canopy for my RV for the upcoming summer. However, I am not experienced in structural design, so I thought I would ask here for some comments. I am thinking of building a wooden rectangular structure 16’x32’ out of 6”x6” posts and suspended by another eight 6”x6” posts on the corners and in the middle of long sides. Canvas will be stretched across the 16’x32’ top and secured by wire through grommets in the canvas.

My concern is the middle of the 16’ side with supports only on the ends. Will a 6x6 post of that length require a support in the middle? I’m trying to avoid putting in an additional support so that I can move the RV.

Any advice or experiences are appreciated.
    Consider going to a junk yard and buying a pre-engineered purpose built used awning for a 95% discount. Might even luck out and find an electric retractable awning or something on hydraulics, for less than the cost of the lumber and canvas

Top Bottom