• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shipwreck

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you don't track your rounds, how do you know when to change the recoil spring? Beretta 92 should have it done every 3-5k. 1911 govt size - every 2k rounds. Small 1911, much more often. You could go by length of the spring compared to a new one, but the springs always get shorter anyway, so that is not really reliable.

On a beretta, the trigger return spring should be changed ever 5k or so as well, and the locking block every 20k (every 15k is a better plan). Skipping the recoil spring replacement makes it more likely to break a locking block.

Sigs require some spring replacements as well, so I have read. I would rather not need my gun in a self defense situation and THEN have something break or malfunction.

Walther P99 should have the recoil spring changed every 5k. Go somewhat past that, and you have feeding issues soon after. I have had a friend that this happened to. He changed the spring, and he was good to go. but luckily, that happened at the range, not when he needed the gun for self defense.

So, keeping an idea of how many rounds you have shot can have another purpose.

I have flipped my collection enough times that I can no do this. Years and years ago, I did not track these things.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    My carry guns aren't target guns. I shoot them enough to be proficient with them and to make sure they function correctly but they aren't shot enough to worry about them not functioning due to round count.
    The others that I do shoot a lot at the range, well, when they quit shooting, I'll fix them.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ship Wreck. Have you ever heard of WOLF SPRINGS? Go to there web site and do some reading about 1911 springs. They say when it is shorter than 2 coils. May have said that about all of there recoil springs. I don't recall what they said about all of the other springs you talk about.

Hell if you want to talk about replacemnt..I think I recall reading that the army replaces the slides every 8000 rounds on Beretta 92.

Springs are cheap and I guess you could change them every time you went to the range if you wanted to. There cheaper than ammo.

Shipwreck

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually, I am very familiar with wolf springs. As for the 92, the recoil spring is supposed to be changed every 5k. However - there seems to be absolutely no round count mechanism in the military for the Beretta pistol. I have read this and been told many times. Usually, nothing gets replaced until it breaks, and then "it's a piece of junk pistol" to some.

Anyway - they guys who don't count rounds - that's fine. I personally like doing it and will not change my habits. As I stated above in the thread (on another page), I get bored with things quick. People always ask the round count, so, it's nice knowing it. But, it honestly doesn't take much work to track it.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you don't track your rounds, how do you know when to change the recoil spring?

Most people who own guns won't shoot them enough to ever need to change the recoil spring and many of those that do make the magic number will never change the recoil spring because it's not broken and they don't know they should.

RFord

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Asking for the round count on a gun is like asking a woman her weight , she may answer you , but you can bet your ass it won't be the truth .

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If folks cannot be honest about something like a rd count, they cannot be trusted to sell me a gun or be on a forum selling guns ...pretty simple question. Over or under 500?

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My absolute favorite answer was a while back at a gun show someone asked an older gentleman the round count on a revolver. The answer was " it fired every one I put in it "

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most people who own guns won't shoot them enough to ever need to change the recoil spring and many of those that do make the magic number will never change the recoil spring because it's not broken and they don't know they should.

I agree the average gun owner will not shoot enough to wear out most parts on a gun. The thing is I am not an average gun owner, & most people on here are not. So in turn most on here buying or selling guns are not the average gun owner.

I shot around 2,000 rounds in just 9mm last year. I have figured out that this year I will be around 2,400 in 45s at my current pace. Dam 1911.:doh:

Last edited:

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    When I was into serious revolver competition shooting, I had a S&W M14 built up by Frank Glenn. It had a 6 inch, slabside bull barrel, ported, armoloy finished, bobbed hammer, and the absolute nicest double action of any revolver Ive owned, and would shoot honest 1/2" groups at 25 yards, off a rest of course, no way I can do that off my hind legs, but the gun could do it. I owned and shot that revolver for about 10 years in very serious competition. I would average 500 rounds per practice session at least once a week, and maybe squeeze in a second day in the week if time permitted when a big match was upcoming. . Now, obviously, I didn't run it that hard consistently over the 10 years I had it, but enough to say I probably put well over 100,000 rounds thru it.
    When I sold that revolver, it would shoot as good as it ever did. About the only major problem I ever had, as is common with revolvers that have been used a lot, is have the end shake taken out of the cylinder fore and aft movement, which is a simple fix for a smith competent with a ball peen hammer and patience. I don't believe a guy could actually wear out a pistol or revolver barrel. I shot only my reloaded ammunition using lead bullets, but even with jacketed stuff, the velocities and pressures are so anemic compared to a rifle, I just don't think it possible?
    If someone has literally burned out a pistol or revolver barrel, I'd love to hear about it, but I don't think such an animal exists?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    AZ, you are right, most competition shooters shoot light loads and even full loads do not damage them like a higher temp heavy load rifle rd. The 357Max got a bad rep because it was a hot rd and the rep was it caused damaged barrels. Throat erosion in rifles is caused by weight of the powder charge and rapid fire. It is doubtful you will erode a revolver barrel out in a lifetime.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If someone has literally burned out a pistol or revolver barrel, I'd love to hear about it, but I don't think such an animal exists?

Kyle Defoor shot out a G17 barrel. Having trained with him and knowing he's a straight shooter(no pun intended) I have to reason to doubt him. I agree though that normally a person won't shoot enough to wear out a pistol barrel.

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/03/well-i-did-it.html

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2011/04/shot-out-glock-barrels.html

jtcinc1967

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ok,i have a s&w 686 no dash,i know that i have shot it over 20,000 rounds. it will still drive tacks ,and i would buy it today before i bought a new one. shoot on boys...........

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll be damned Don....that's a lot of BBs down the tube for sure, and I'd bet, seeing it was a glock, they were jacketed bullets. I guess anything that shot a quarter million rounds is worthy of giving up the ghost...gotta love those glocks!

He's still shooting it. He replaced the factory barrel with fitted a Wilson barrel and it shoots tighter than original.

Shipwreck

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Not anyone I know. All my friends throw out a lot of rounds regularly.

Top Bottom