• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it would be safe to say the author of this piece isn't too impressed with rifle OC.

Many see rifle OC as unnecessary, provocative, self-defeating, confrontational, and just stupid. I and some other 2A advocates react to rifle OC with disgust, because it creates enemies and convinces the undecided that all gun owners are dangerous lunatics.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/open-carry-no-excuses/

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd have to agree - open carrying a rifle in normal daily life...isn't normal.

Protecting your property after a natural disaster - yes, going about your daily life...no.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Author of the Linked Article is incorrect that rifle OC has never been part of our history. Long guns have a longer history the handguns. People that could only afford one gun bought a rifle because it protected the homestead, put food on the table, protected your travels and went to town for with you. Unlike the most movies, guns were not left on saddles and on the wagon. When a gun is one of the main pillars of your survival, you don't leave it unattended. They went in the general store, bank, saloon and Church. I believe it was generally accepted as normal into the late 1800 and geography played a role in its imposed limitations.

I keep a close eye on everyone I see with a gun, OC or poorly carried CC. The person that OCs a handgun and keeps his hand on the grip and long guns carried if varied "Ready" positions do put me on edge. I don't care if people OC or what they OC, its HOW they OC that puts them on the top of my list as potential treats. Intimidated, No. Sacred, No. Mentally preparing to respond to escallation of treat: YES!

A Final point is that it is also a political expression. Some consider it a overt In Your Face challange. Is it different from tactics used by gay rights activists being "flamboyant" to get media and resulting political attention? I see it as modern version of burning the bra. The Fad will fade out over time as long as Zombies don't become a factor.

Some people do not have an option. NY and SC do not allow handgun OC but they do allow long gun OC.
    So if you don't have a CWP in those States and want to carry a long gun is what you can pack.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom