• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    This shit is getting crazier by the day in NY...(from fox news 20150105)

Retired cop sues New York State for confiscating guns after insomnia treatment

A decorated retired New York cop who served in the U.S. Navy is challenging New York’s tough new SAFE Act gun control law, claiming in a lawsuit that his guns were confiscated after he was mistakenly diagnosed as mentally unstable after he sought treatment for a sleeping problem.

Donald Montgomery’s lawsuit contends that Gov. Andrew Cuomo and other state officials violated his Second Amendment rights when his guns were seized after a brief hospital stay for insomnia. Montgomery, a cop for 30 years and a U.S. Navy veteran, brought the lawsuit in Rochester Federal Court on Dec. 17, according to the Daily Caller.

The SAFE Act became law with little public debate after Cuomo convinced lawmakers that New York needed to do something after the mass shooting at the Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

Montgomery was the owner of four guns -- a Colt .38 handgun, a Derringer .38, a Glock 26 9-mm. and a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380.

His troubles started when he visited a Long Island hospital in May complaining of insomnia. He was discharged with a diagnosis of “depression, insomnia” and then returned a short time later for a 48-hour stay. The lawsuit says that during that visit, staff erroneously listed him as an “involuntary admission,” triggering the SAFE Act reporting provision. Those deemed at-risk for owning guns by mental health professionals have to be reported and their names entered into a database.

The lawsuit claims Montgomery should not have been reported because he was not a threat to himself or others. The suit says a hospital psychiatrist told him “You don’t belong here” and “I don’t know why you were referred here.”

The Daily Caller reports that on May 30, a week after his hospital stay, Suffolk County sheriff’s deputies confiscated Montgomery’s guns. His pistol license was then suspended in June and revoked three months later.

Montgomery is demanding in his lawsuit that the state issue written notification to all individuals whose names have been collected in the SAFE Act database.

Last month, the Syracuse Post-Standard found nearly 39,000 names in the database and that 278 of those were gun owners who were in danger of losing their firearms. The list of 278 included 16 in Suffolk, where Montgomery lived.

SAWMAN

Master
    sadly ..... been happening to vets for years. they go for help at a va facility or another hospital/clinic,even if they are referred there by the va ..... then ..... in about a week,leo's show up at midnight to confiscate their firearms. i have heard reports of other items that have been confiscated,such as kitchen knives,hunting knives,arrows with a broad head attached,clearly fake or de-milled grenades,etc.,etc.

even if the items are not owned by them. if they are in the residence,they are confiscated. get 'em back ... ??? not easy,if ever.

in some cases the persons weapon permit and even their hunting license has been revoked. then reapply ...?... yeah right. try to buy another firearm ... ? ...ever read a 4473 ?? good luck with that !! extremely sad. --- sawman

Attachments

• SANY0063.jpg
      SANY0063.jpg
      427.4 KB · Views: 196
    Last edited:
    We are living in an age where many people are afraid of their own shadow. The fear everything they know nothing about and they make no effort to learn. For every action, there is a knee-jerk reaction. In most cases, this has resulted in over-reaching and over-reactive legislation by some states and the federal government. Many lawmakers are running doing what ever they can to appease Obama's and Holder's agendas, all the while making criminals out of law-abiding citizens. They are blatantly violating the rights of the American people of, by, and for whom this nation was founded. In New York, Andrew Cuomo is a major opponent of gun ownership and wants to do everything in his power to get rid of guns. His major backer, being Michael Bloomberg, has made sure that things happen just as he wants. He knows that money can buy a lot of influence. The sheeple and the spineless lawmakers of this country need to just find a new country to live in. Like they say, "if you cannot handle the heat, get out of the kitchen". Many Americans are feed up with all the over-reach and rights infringements going on by local, state, and federal governments. One of these days, it is going to come to a head and explode and these governments are going to find themselves in dire danger of being toppled.

SAWMAN

Master
    my opinion ..... i believe this is already happening doc. have you seen the latest figures of veteran suicides. i also believe(knowing the va)that these figures are waaaaaay understated. --- sawman

JBryan314

Master
    sadly ..... been happening to vets for years. they go for help at a va facility or another hospital/clinic,even if they are referred there by the va ..... then ..... in about a week,leo's show up at midnight to confiscate their firearms. i have heard reports of other items that have been confiscated,such as kitchen knives,hunting knives,arrows with a broad head attached,clearly fake or de-milled grenades,etc.,etc.

even if the items are not owned by them. if they are in the residence,they are confiscated. get 'em back ... ??? not easy,if ever.

in some cases the persons weapon permit and even their hunting license has been revoked. then reapply ...?... yeah right. try to buy another firearm ... ? ...ever read a 4473 ?? good luck with that !! extremely sad. --- sawman

That billboard is only partially right. It would be more correct if it said "How the Federal Government treats American Vets says a lot about our Politicans". I'm a vet and I feel well supported and appreciated by most Americans. I got out because of the lack of support from the "leadership".

Richard J.

Expert
    If you are diagnosed with PSSD you will loose your weapons in a lot of states, Pa. is quietly removing them from gun owner ship. Not the only state. If you apply they can and will remove all weapons from your household.

Richard J.

Expert
    Wanted to also state that when they applied for it the police showed up shortly after. I am talking about Nam vets only. Have nothing on other conflicts. These where good friends of mine. Guess the VA turns them in. None of these people had any priors of any kind. Nice that we look after our own. Freaking joke to serve our country get messed up and this bullshit. Great government we have.

Last edited:

Richard J.

Expert
    Now I am pissed off. Why is it you defend this country in combat or the streets of US and you become a villain. What the hell is wrong with this country. Took me a long time to get over the hatred for serving in nam from assholes that wouldn't fight if there life depended on it. Now you can't serve on the street without going thru all the bullshit. Guy pulls a pellet gun on a cop and is killed and he is a villain .Very sad state we live in. We need to take back America and make it into what it used to be. Honest people and if you violate it you know what will happen, not slap your hand and let you out. Sorry for rant. just pissed off at this stupid world we live in.

SAWMAN

Master
    jbryan, no ...... imo the billboard is totally right,factually correct,to the point,and cuts to the bone.

us taxpayers are how the federal government gets it's power. they work for us. i am a vet and i DO NOT feel "well supported and appreciated by most Americans". case in point ..... take a look at this latest VA scandal. how is that "shake up" going ?? who got fired,who was FORCED to retire,who lost their $80,000. pension ??????? in the ranks of the VA,how many of the employees actually screwed over the vets ?? how many kept their mouths shut,all the while knowing what kinda raw deal the vets in their care were getting ?? how many simply looked the other way ?? what ... just one or two,right ?? just several in the highest management positions,right ??

the welfare POS's will rally together to get a raise in their checks or an added "bonus" to their EBT cards .... but .... help the vets ... ?? ... no way. the dems and repubs both will help the people the vote to put them in office,and no one else .... this includes the vets. sadly,there are more people receiving welfare benefits than vets.

in the last 5 years how much total pay raise did the welfare people get vs the vets ?? do you really think that your fellow Americans,in general,care more about the welfare people OR the vets ??

i have a friend that has a son that just came home from his 9th tour in the sandbox. 9th !!!! what do you think that the VA has in store for him ?? what kind of support do you think he will receive from the VA given it's past history ?? BTW .... this brave young man wears on his chest,3 Purple Hearts,two Bronze Stars,and a Silver Star. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• SANY0063.jpg
      SANY0063.jpg
      427.4 KB · Views: 86
    Last edited:
    Now I am pissed off. Why is it you defend this country in combat or the streets of US and you become a villain. What the hell is wrong with this country. Took me a long time to get over the hatred for serving in nam from assholes that wouldn't fight if there life depended on it. Now you can't serve on the street without going thru all the bullshit. Guy pulls a pellet gun on a cop and is killed and he is a villain .Very sad state we live in. We need to take back America and make it into what it used to be. Honest people and if you violate it you know what will happen, not slap your hand and let you out. Sorry for rant. just pissed off at this stupid world we live in.

What ticked me off a few years ago was, when the Department of Homeland Security was under Janet Napolitano, veterans became targets of the government because we are deemed threats to them due to training we received. They do not realize that real American patriots/veterans, who are still capable, are the Homeland Security. We are a trained force that is always there to defend OUR country and OUR Constitution. We are an all volunteer force that loves this country and what it once stood for and want to see it in its glory again. The Obama administration has eroded this nation's values, morals, borders, and has resulted in the diminishing of respect this country once received. An administration and government that does not support its veterans and their unselfish contributions to this country, is not worthy of running this country. There are those that give veterans their due, but there are many more who do not. Veterans built this country. Many men and women served, fought, and bled to secure the rights and freedoms we enjoy. We deserve more than what we are getting. We deserve the respect, benefits, and care for our service.

Top Bottom