• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longbow14

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was doing my usual coffee induced gun snoop and found a person selling a rifle that had survived a house fire. Stock is gone and the metal needs refinishing, has anyone ever restored a burned gun? I snooped about and it's basically hit or miss depending on if the metal was annealed and warped or not. I'm interested sine it's only a few bucks so even as a bust it's not a huge loss.besides I want a .257 bob

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    House fire........ugh......I personally would not give anything but the price of scrap for it. High heat for a longer period of time. Then possibly hit with a stream of cold water. OUCH !! I would say in the least everything has to be hit with a mic. All the corners and holes have to be somewhat true. A pin indicator driven with a computer would be mo-bedda but where could you find one of those.

I believe that the extreme heat would change everything so drastically that there would be no coming back. Just a guess here though...no expierance in this. ---- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never read or seen a gun restored to firing condition after it has been subjected to fire intense enough to burn off the stock. Make a lamp or wall hangar for the man cave only. Loss of temper/annealed qualities on all parts make id a dead dog. Replacement parts may cost more then a replacement gun.

Only smoke/soot and minor radiant heat damaged guns can be recovered. Regrets

Watch this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4i7UHZeGs

Longbow14

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not my gun or unlucky event. I'd be more interested if the price hadn't jumped a hundred bucks since this first posting. I think I'll stick to old not toasted guns as my donors.

vanhammersly

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about restoring a shotgun that was submerged under 30' of Katrina salt water? It's rusted shut, I said I was going to mess with it, but never did. Anybody ever deal with a rusted up gun?

Longbow14

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After some questioning the guns were not scorched. The wood was discarded with cracks and smoke damage.

tonyd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    without seeing who can tell should have been able to save a smoked ? stock . parts perhaps ?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay, if stocks not burnt off then there may be a chance. Review the vid above and if the gun does not fail any of the tests it "may" have a chance. After you check it walk away and go check parts availability. Total the parts cost and estimate your restoration hours. Now price a used "Know" good gun. Compare and decide.

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had 3 Given to me and of the 3 only two passed the fire lashed to the tire test. we lashed them into an old tire and sandbagged them down ....the one gun that did pass was shot 30 times with no signs of stress ect. the other 2 , well they were some pretty spectacular fails. We used the most powerful loads we could find for testing and the 700 BDL was the only one of the 3 that survived. The other 2 failed at 6-8 rounds. BE CAREFUL and use a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG rope to trip the trigger and be behind something substantial. my brother still has the 700 its a 308 and it was like the one u said. Smoke damage and cracked stock. the other 2 the stock had burned off...If the stock burns I wouldn't even bother. Hang it up with a sign and make it a poster child for Fire proof gun safes LOL

Top Bottom