• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Anyone around pcola have the means to knock a brake off a Ruger American ranch?
    I have soft vise jaws but am unable to get this brake off.
    Heated up substantially with torch and used a 2lb sledge on a wrench trying to impact it off but I just have no real way to hold it.
    Previous owner said he did not use any loctite. Never had one stuck like this and now I'm aggravated. Ready to throw it in the street.

New rifle that was scoped and sighted in. It's not old and rusty.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Heated up substantially with torch and used a 2lb sledge on a wrench trying to impact it off but I just have no real way to hold it.
    Previous owner said he did not use any loctite. Never had one stuck like this and now I'm aggravated. Ready to throw it in the street.

Well, I know of an easy sure fire way to remove it if you don't care about destroying the brake that's on it now. It makes it so ya don't have to risk scarring up the rifle etc by twisting on it etc.
    Get yourself an angle grinder and cut a slot as deep as possible down it's length as deep as possible, but stop just before ya grind into the threads.
    Then lay the muzzle and brake on a good solid anvil or whatever and take a cold chisel and hammer that gap open a bit. Usually don't take much effort to open the threads up a ton and it will just come right off.
    Basically the same trick used for stuck and stripped lugnuts etc.
    If it's extra stubborn you can cut multiple slots to make it release easier.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I know that route. Lol. Done it. Would really like to get it off to recoupe some funds from a rifle purchase. . It's a hundred dollar brake.

Last edited:

Crabbyguy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Soft jaws aren’t gonna cut it. I’ll dig and see if I can find my barrel vice blocks. They grip around the barrel in the vice. If I can locate them and you wanna swing out I’ll let you use them as much as you like.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Soft jaws aren’t gonna cut it. I’ll dig and see if I can find my barrel vice blocks. They grip around the barrel in the vice. If I can locate them and you wanna swing out I’ll let you use them as much as you like.
    Thank you, sir. What beer do you drink?

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I see several different styles online. I should go ahead and order a set so I don't run into this issue again.
    What's your favorite or good enough to get me by?

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    No loctite. There were actually oil on the threads. I cranked on the vise pretty good and the rifle still rotated. Tightened the vise more than I thought it needed to be and it broke loose.

Big thanks to Crabbyguy View attachment 240883
    Rockset most likely?

Top Bottom