• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGill

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've been thinking about reloading. I've got a old RCBS Rockchucker press, several sets of dies and a ABC reloading manual. Does anybody know a good place in the area to buy reloading supplies? Also what type of power scale would you recommend. Thanks for your time. JGill

XD45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    styx river range is were i get most of my stuff, ubers is also a good start

get
    beam scale it will always have a use

i use a ectronictronic scale it works good for me

XD45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    also dont limit youself to just one reloading book, most all will say something diff from the last

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    that is some very good advice, about getting more then one reloading book, I have about 8 diff. books ,plus I get free informatinon for the Manufactor on the net. You can't bet a old rock ch. for reloading, is just slow , have used one for about 45 yrs. Still keep one on my bench, beside my Dillion 1050 super. Just my 2 cents jj

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    RCBS Rockchucker single stage press..... you've already got the best. For a progressive, get the Dillon. As stated above, get more than one reloading manual. I really like my Lyman electronic scale.

7mm-08

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have bought stuff at Stix river as well, but I get most of my supplies from Midway. I have been pretty happy with my Frankford Arsenal electronic scale, but if you could afford it, I would go with an RCBS. As has been said, you will probably want to get another book. You can also get all Hodgden's load data on their website.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Id suggest the Lee reloading manual it is the best of all of them. Hornady is alright but lee list charges for more powder selections than any others, plus it gives new reloaders a lot of info. Id also not fall into the trap of buying high dollar dies. Ive got rcbs, hornady, and lee. Ive never had a complaint with the budget priced lee dies. You cant beat Lees waranty when it comes to service. When you first start reloading you will make mistakes and they are there to help you.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Fanner! Speaking of Rock Chucker, I just loaded 100 of the 800+ cases I got from you. 5.3gr Green Dot, 230gr lead. Very accurate!

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man this ole buzzad started with a OLD DELUXE one armed bandit, 10 yrs later a friend gave up an sold off a whole Lyman Orange Crusher. An Beam scles have been my main starter to adjust my power charger. Tumbler, Calipers, case trimmer is a must. But as all have said, get as much book info as you can locate.... BEWARE of older hand writtin formulas old times want to pass on. Alot of powders can vari in there flash point,,, EVEN from the same company a load your used to building can change because of a manufacturing mistake, So test a few from any new batches of powders an primers.... Next I havent seen any comments on the reuse of Mil-spec brass takes a lower charger Get some writtin facts to run these. There thicker brass an use less powders. Hummm This could go on an on... Never to many reloader manuals... If you get to many Let me know,,, olecarver

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Somebody gave me another Rockchucker the other day,,,,
    but it's froze up with rust,,, got it soaking in oil right now
    don't know if it's salvageable yet

I got mine on the "bay" a couple years ago, but my first press was a Lee Turret in the early 80s. It was nice, but like all toys when you're in your 20s, they're highly disposable. The only reason I bought a R~C was to load rifle ammo. Now Im using it to make a few pistol rounds as well. It's fine for rifle, cause you'll be lucky to shoot 20 rounds in a season unless you like to punch holes in paper at the range. I don't own a powder thrower, I weigh each charge, but that can be s-l-o-w with handgun ammo.

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Same here, I like my lee hand primers, You can feel them as they seat. Rub the thumb over it after seating. Very seldom need a straight edge. But thats anouther thing using Mil Spec brass They have dimples you have to ream( gently ) out to get primers to seat or you get problems at times.. They seel a hand tool for this.... BOOKS an time. JGill glad to see ya still in brother. Old man Tom the olecarver

texasden

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if you are interested i have a lot of reloading items and equipment from presses to scales to dies to brass to whatever for sale. all are in good working order and i think are reasonably priced. denniswhassell@gmail.com

gtkillerv

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    that is some very good advice, about getting more then one reloading book, I have about 8 diff. books ,plus I get free informatinon for the Manufactor on the net. You can't bet a old rock ch. for reloading, is just slow , have used one for about 45 yrs. Still keep one on my bench, beside my Dillion 1050 super. Just my 2 cents jj

JJ,
    Really, you have one RCBS reloader next to your dillon?

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Hey Fanner! Speaking of Rock Chucker, I just loaded 100 of the 800+ cases I got from you. 5.3gr Green Dot, 230gr lead. Very accurate!

Good to hear that. I need to check this forum more often. Bout the only thing I'm loading now is .357 cases to .38 velocities.

Top Bottom