• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    So my buddy traded his faded G17 for a faded G23 and asked me about refinishing the gun. I told him to buy a rebluing kit and do it himself at home. He said he found the Duracoat shake'n spray kit online for $40 as well. I also know that there is Cerakote options but my understanding is it will cost more. I have never taken the task on myself and don't know which would be.....

1. Simple
    2. Can be done at home
    3. Cost effective
    4. Long lasting

He doesn't want it to look like it was painted with Krylon at home but also doesn't want to spend $200-$300 to get it done. I think he would be best off just buying a $15 reblue kit and do it himself. He is only doing the G23 slide and barrel so it is a small project.

Anyone with experience doing a home refinish want to chime in and offer advise?

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used Brownell's Alumahyde (12 bucks a can) with pretty decent results. I did a 1911, and I put it on way to thick, that didn't turn out great, but I also did my Sig 556 SBR's lower and that turned out very nice, I am happy with it and it seems durable, although its not a carry gun, and I don't knock it around and abuse it either.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cerakote would be less than $200 and would make it look better than new.
    $250 gets you a new stripped slide.
    I'd just enjoy it for what it is ...it's rarely a good idea to refinish a firearm ....always end up with more in it than its worth, or with something that you are afraid to use.
    Besides, glocks aren't meant to be pretty...just to function.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up an OLD Remington 552 several years ago...starting on the refinishing of it soon. Why this rifle...my grandfather hunted with one until he died and it was agreed my brother got that one in his inheritance... this way I have an identical one to remember them with.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you want to go for cool points, I can set you up with a nice finish that make sit look nice and still keeps the utilitarian style. I got a home electroless nickel plating system from Caswell plating and plated the slide on my XD with a satin job. It plates the gun inside and out so every surface is protected.

Photo Album

Springfield%u00252BXD%2B003.jpg

Attachments

• Springfield%u00252BXD%2B003.jpg
      Springfield%u00252BXD%2B003.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 405
    Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used Brownell's Alumahyde (12 bucks a can) with pretty decent results. I did a 1911, and I put it on way to thick, that didn't turn out great, but I also did my Sig 556 SBR's lower and that turned out very nice, I am happy with it and it seems durable, although its not a carry gun, and I don't knock it around and abuse it either.

This ^^^^

Ian turned me on to the Alumahyde. Turned out great.

(Still owe you the bucks for that can of OD green Ian)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently got some Duracoat to do an AR-15. I am not too sure about how tough it is, but apparently everyone loves it as long as the prep work is done right.

Jon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe Glock also offers factory refinishing services. Last I heard it was around 50-60 bucks, but it may be different now and I'm not sure how long it would take, but you can always call and inquire.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cerakote is very durable. I do all of my own finishes on my 1911's I build with it and finish holds up great. Dura coat does not hold up that well. Will wear off quickly with good use.

Below is my latest one.

1911finalphotos079.jpg

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Send it back to Glock, their finish is special and some things will not stick to it. Cheaper to get the MFG to do it right.

Found this post 1/11 has all the info

A while back I jumped on a Glock LE trade-in deal here. Unfortunately, buying a weapon sight unseen can result in some unpleasant surprises. The slide was ROUGH. I started checking around to see how much it would cost to refinish the slide and received many quotes that were more than I paid for the pistol!

Eventually, I stumbled on the Glock Factory Warranty Refurbishment program. There's no website or flyer, but you can call Glock to verify if you wish (770-432-1202, ask for the service department or select option #2.)

Ship your item(s) with payment and a note telling them what you want done. In approximately 4-6 weeks your Glock will be returned to you. Return shipping is paid by Glock.

Refinish slide $45.00 - Glock will replace the sights with new standard sights free of charge. They will leave your original sights on by request.
    Refinish barrel $20.00
    Refinish barrel and slide $60.00
    Replace Meprolight Night Sights $57.00
    Inspect, replace and upgrade all internal components in the lower FREE*.

* The polymer lower is the part of the Glock BATF considers a weapon. Lowers MUST be shipped by common carrier (UPS or Fedex), must be declared and must ship Priority Overnight (Fedex) or UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® (UPS). Overnight shipping is expensive so alternatively you may prefer to bring your lower to any GSSF shooting event where a Glock certified armorer will perform this service free of charge.

Shipping address:

GLOCK, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    U.S.A.
    Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
    Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To the OP........firstly,I do not think that Glocks are blued. And......if you apply anything else to the weapon will it void any warranties ?? Please don't make your Glock look like a "pimp gun". If you "proudly" show it to certain individuals and say,"hey what do you think of my gun",they will actually tell you the truth....OUCH !!

I have seen some guns that have come back from the factory. They actually look better than new. Too black and gritty looking in my opinion. I have a "few" Glocks. I recently bought another one that was in fairly rough shape from normal use/carry. I love the look. It looks like a work gun. A gun that has actually earned it's keep. It has actually earned it's food(training ammo). Remember.......if some of the black is worn off....it is still actually still there. You cannot wear off the Tenifer process that is applied.

IMO...it would be a shame to turn a Glock from a work gun into a BBQ gun. Think about it. A worn gun is a used gun. If I see a gun that has normal wear,that tells me the owner actually carries and practices with his weapon.

OR........you could have pink Duracoat applied. :blah: --- SAWMAN

flightmedic

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Teflon/Moly Oven Cure (Brownells $32.99) works well with the correct prep work. A glass-bead blasting maching (my dad uses) gives it the correct surface to adhere to. He has refinished several Sig handguns for the Sheriffs Office and the coating is holding up well with the day-to-day operations there. I will tell you that what ever the coating is from the manufacturer like Sig or Glock it is hard as H**l to get off even with a bead blaster. If I am not mistaking it is $45 to refinish a handgun slide with a warranty.

As far as true rebluing he only uses hot tank rebluing. If you have never seen it done...............its an all day process from start to finish for the entire gun. Especially for a luster finish. But, hey it got me thru my high school and college years working there between classes.

I have a Mauser action 30-06 that he built for me last year that has the teflon/moly finish on it and looks great.

Top Bottom