• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you are facing certain death inside a building. But your armed with your 100 round mag sidearm. You just won? So let's talk real Close Quarter Battle (CQB) What is the biggest room in your house? Got a 20 x 20 Great room? Wait a minute, isn't 15 yards 45 feet? Who has a 45 x 45 foot Great Room. So even though you know a perp is going to hurt you, you don't have 21 feet of room in your bedroom. So you already know that you have statistically lost if you were wide awake and notified prior to the event. Now your going to reach for your 10 inch Barreled AR with twin taped 35 round mags? Guess the left wing is correct, neither you or anyone you ever meet can defend themselves or their family with an AR. Just how many rounds do you expect to get off against a perp at 20 feet? Better get used to the fact that you just have one round and it has to count at best inside your Home. This is reality, and if you waste that one round fumbling with your AR instead of drawing your sidearm, you and everyone you thought you were going to protect, are DEAD. Let's talk.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So you are facing certain death inside a building. But your armed with your 100 round mag sidearm. You just won? So let's talk real Close Quarter Battle (CQB) What is the biggest room in your house? Got a 20 x 20 Great room? Wait a minute, isn't 15 yards 45 feet? Who has a 45 x 45 foot Great Room. So even though you know a perp is going to hurt you, you don't have 21 feet of room in your bedroom. So you already know that you have statistically lost if you were wide awake and notified prior to the event. Now your going to reach for your 10 inch Barreled AR with twin taped 35 round mags? Guess the left wing is correct, neither you or anyone you ever meet can defend themselves or their family with an AR. Just how many rounds do you expect to get off against a perp at 20 feet? Better get used to the fact that you just have one round and it has to count at best inside your Home. This is reality, and if you waste that one round fumbling with your AR instead of drawing your sidearm, you and everyone you thought you were going to protect, are DEAD. Let's talk.
    Please spend more time reading about actual home invasion shootings.

Your assumptions are wrong for most of the real ones.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

"Let's talk."

I cant make heads or tails of this post.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1. State of Washington: " No one can use a AR for self defense" 2 Let's begin with the worst case of CQB in one of the most confining rooms. Your asleep when the bedroom door opens and in comes an aggressor. Odds are your bedroom isn't as large as a 20 x 20 Great room. How much time do you have to react? From my personal experience there is barely enough time to reach the cocked & locked sidearm on the headboard and get off 1 shot. Now if that one shot is a hit there may be enough of a slowed reaction in the aggressor for follow up shots? But rolling out of bed to reach the AR proped in the corner and then bring it bear, well that ain't happening. 3. You would need to hear the perp or perps as they began to enter your home in order to have enough reaction time and distance to retrieve and bring the AR in the bedroom corner into action. So is it at least 30 feet to the front or back door from the doorframe of the bedroom? That's 10 yards, how many rounds can you put on a moving perp before it covers those 10 yards. Since the Great Room is less confining than the bedroom a short barreled AR with a collapsed stock is going to have a better chance of being deployable, yet it will never be as nimble as a sidearm. We haven't even gotten into .223 over penetration within your house. Or if a Cruiser Griped 16 inch 12 guage would be way more effective. But since your not crashing the party in a congo line with team members taking different zones of firepower coverage, perhaps the left wingers are NOT completely out of touch with reality. 4. If your at the front or back door defending the the yard, well that's when the AR with twin taped mags becomes the better selection of firearms. But for CQB room to room within your home? No, the smaller the confines the more agile the firearm needs to be. Is this a better to understand and easier to discuss format?

moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where is the sidearm in relation to the AR? You got to grab one of them so I don't see your point. I don't go to bed with one on my hip.
    Agreed, if someone is in bed asleep and the door opens that person in bed is way behind the curve already. Even if they were sleeping with a weapon in hand.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    1. State of Washington: " No one can use a AR for self defense" 2 Let's begin with the worst case of CQB in one of the most confining rooms. Your asleep when the bedroom door opens and in comes an aggressor. Odds are your bedroom isn't as large as a 20 x 20 Great room. How much time do you have to react? From my personal experience there is barely enough time to reach the cocked & locked sidearm on the headboard and get off 1 shot. Now if that one shot is a hit there may be enough of a slowed reaction in the aggressor for follow up shots? But rolling out of bed to reach the AR proped in the corner and then bring it bear, well that ain't happening. 3. You would need to hear the perp or perps as they began to enter your home in order to have enough reaction time and distance to retrieve and bring the AR in the bedroom corner into action. So is it at least 30 feet to the front or back door from the doorframe of the bedroom? That's 10 yards, how many rounds can you put on a moving perp before it covers those 10 yards. Since the Great Room is less confining than the bedroom a short barreled AR with a collapsed stock is going to have a better chance of being deployable, yet it will never be as nimble as a sidearm. We haven't even gotten into .223 over penetration within your house. Or if a Cruiser Griped 16 inch 12 guage would be way more effective. But since your not crashing the party in a congo line with team members taking different zones of firepower coverage, perhaps the left wingers are NOT completely out of touch with reality. 4. If your at the front or back door defending the the yard, well that's when the AR with twin taped mags becomes the better selection of firearms. But for CQB room to room within your home? No, the smaller the confines the more agile the firearm needs to be. Is this a better to understand and easier to discuss format?
    if we lived in Washington State, i'd weigh in...

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Moron1 beat me to it, but I’m thinking if you are asleep when a motivated person with bad intent opens your bedroom door all you can do is hope their first attack is ineffective. I don’t think anyone is beating that reactionary gap.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Your asleep when the bedroom door opens and in comes an aggressor.
    NOPE.

Two words: DOG.

My little 35-pounder GOES OFF at any Human-caused sound within a 100' radius of the house... and that would be for whispering, louder sounds (vehicles, etc.) are picked up farther away... and barks at nothing else... except for cat fights, of course : )

Only thing I'm worried about is that she is 9 years old, so I really need to get a backup for her to train.

And this is in a holster that slides onto a stainless steel blade attached to the back of the bed frame... don't even have to take my head off the pillow to reach it. I can pull the pistol straight out of the holster, or slide the holster w/pistol off of the blade : )

DSC09514cropmod.jpg

jettjon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Agreed, if someone is in bed asleep and the door opens that person in bed is way behind the curve already. Even if they were sleeping with a weapon in hand.
    Beat me to it as well. No way any informed person concerned about personal safety in the home is going to find themselves in this situation. Think layered defense - prox alarms if possible, dogs, REINFORCED ENTRY LOCKS, hurricane-rated windows - all add up to the fact that nobody is going to get into your home, much less BEDROOM without making LOTS of noise. OP is approaching the problem bass ackwards, you don't start with "what if everything else has failed" - you layer on defenses so you NEVER GET to your worst case.

::rant mode off::

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many people live in apartments/homes that don't allow pets. Think of people in general. When I faced the aggressor in the bedroom it was in a Hawaiian rental house that had a no pet policy. Back then (being in-service) my lifestyle wasn't suited to pets. The cocked & locked 1911 sits on the headboard shelf, so I don't have to raise my head from the pillow to bring into action. My AR is either in the bedroom corner or under the bed. Either way 1911 response time and movement required to bring it into action is much better. Nowadays, with GMA & I traveling between Grandchildren, our lifestyle isn't pet friendly, since every place we visit the children have multiple dogs. But I can assure you that an aggressor popping into the bedroom can be survived, but the outcome would most definitely been different if it was the AR I reached for instead of the pistol on the headboard. YMMV.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How many people live in apartments/homes that don't allow pets. Think of people in general. When I faced the aggressor in the bedroom it was in a Hawaiian rental house that had a no pet policy. Back then (being in-service) my lifestyle wasn't suited to pets. The cocked & locked 1911 sits on the headboard shelf, so I don't have to raise my head from the pillow to bring into action. My AR is either in the bedroom corner or under the bed. Either way 1911 response time and movement required to bring it into action is much better. Nowadays, with GMA & I traveling between Grandchildren, our lifestyle isn't pet friendly, since every place we visit the children have multiple dogs. But I can assure you that an aggressor popping into the bedroom can be survived, but the outcome would most definitely been different if it was the AR I reached for instead of the pistol on the headboard. YMMV.
    All true...

But as I used to tell customers at the firearms dealer I worked at 30 years ago:

"I may end up pushing around a shopping cart one day, but you can bet my 9mm will be sitting right there in the baby-seat!" : )

Add to that a good dog, and...

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's my ID. Wasn't fully awake. Thought I saw/heard something. Feared for my life. Lawyer.

Top Bottom