• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In the last month I've had two racoons trying to live peaceably in my attic. Last year I caught one in a box trap in the attic and, being a kind soul, I took him across the street into the woods and released him. BIG MISTAKE! He / she came back and is fully educated about box traps. So, unfortunately for he/she. I left the soffit open and ambushed he/she with my .22, in the evening. BUT! I have one more stubborn, box trap wise critter, hiding in the attic and won't come out! He/she hasn't been out in a week so I know he/she must be hungry. It pulled an A/C vent off to get water (I guess) but hasn't eaten lately. I'm looking to use a conniber(?) trap if I could find one or ask for " A little help from my friends"! .......HELP!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the last month I've had two racoons trying to live peaceably in my attic. Last year I caught one in a box trap in the attic and, being a kind soul, I took him across the street into the woods and released him. BIG MISTAKE! He / she came back and is fully educated about box traps. So, unfortunately for he/she. I left the soffit open and ambushed he/she with my .22, in the evening. BUT! I have one more stubborn, box trap wise critter, hiding in the attic and won't come out! He/she hasn't been out in a week so I know he/she must be hungry. It pulled an A/C vent off to get water (I guess) but hasn't eaten lately. I'm looking to use a conniber(?) trap if I could find one or ask for " A little help from my friends"! .......HELP!
    Take care about cornering it. Some raccoons will attack and they can do damage.

DangDang

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Conibear traps are illegal in the state of Florida. Snares are legal tho. A DP trap would be perfect for a coon but the state of FL thinks those are horrible also. Not sure if they allow rule breaking for nuisance critters. Oh and also hope the neighbors cat doesn’t trespass. Also have to check traps at least every 24 hours.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    first find any and all holes they can get into the attic from. then bug bomb the hell out of the attic. that will serve two purposes. it will run out the racoons and it will get rid of the fleas they probably brought with them. watch from a distance that they actually leave then immediately repair the hole hey are getting in thru.

this has worked a couple times for me thru the years.

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Conibear traps are illegal in the state of Florida. Snares are legal tho. A DP trap would be perfect for a coon but the state of FL thinks those are horrible also. Not sure if they allow rule breaking for nuisance critters. Oh and also hope the neighbors cat doesn’t trespass. Also have to check traps at least every 24 hours.
    I would set up the trap in the attic above the garage. That's where I've had the box trap, but he won't go in it!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    some wet cat food in that have a heart should do it...put a bowl of water next to it so it can wash it off first :cool:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    some wet cat food in that have a heart should do it...put a bowl of water next to it so it can wash it off first :cool:

edit: Oh My! how did it double on me

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Poison of any type my leve a critter deep in the structure to rot and that creates additional problems. I once made a one way trap door for an entry via an under eave vent that they tore open. The vent was the exit, the entry was a roof mounted vent fan and they bent the fan blades which caused the temp controlled motor to fry (no fire), so I added a HD steel wire under the fan dome. They could go out but not hold trap door open (used rat trap springs) and climb in. You MUST also eliminate the access route they use to get to the roof/attic/entry: tree limbs, fences, storage buildings, patio coverings and so on.

If they're not dead and can access the roof: they will tear a new entry point to get back to a known cozy nest. I've also seen rats cross a neighbors roof and jump into the roof mounted fan. He had no clue about the extra Tennant's.

Don't give up on the box trap! Wire rattle noise points tight except trigger. Sit it level so it doesn't tip/shift and spook them. Hose it down and toss dirt on it while wet. Roll a non-pattern towel heavily into ground dirt and us as visual and scent cover. Throw a handful of dirt inside to add to natural smell "inside". Handle with rubber gloves to prevent your scent. You need to try different baits from peanut butter to uncooked aging fish, shrimp, oysters, tuna fish (no oil, drain water) can cat/dog food, dry cat/dog food tied in a cloth bundle in trap ceiling above trigger, AND water in ceramic bowl. Let it sit until you hear the attempted jail break. Less intrusion the better. Remote cam is great. The 24 hour check is fallout from traps that physically injure the animal. Take a different bait every time you check it. Just push old bait off trigger (leave it) add new bait to the trigger. Sooner or later the familiarity, buffett and convenience will wear down their caution. It may tke a few days but you will succeed. What ever you do: don't block the Exit befor the capture or the will make an easier one into your house! Catch one and reset. May be others or offsping: 2 to 5 per litter, as it hasn't exited in a few days? Hmmmmm?

Alternatively:
    Several boxes of moth balls may create an adequate concentration of unpleasant fumes if the attic isn't well ventilated and you need to shut off/adjust temp setting of ventilation fans

Your going to need several days of no pest noises before you close the access/exit points. I recommend a temp closure for 30 days before permanent repair "in case".

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I use moth balls to keep the bats from roosting in my gables once I got them out...might work for that too.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I was the Animal Control Officer in my small town (actually two small towns side by side) in Maine. Best thing for coons when you gotta keep things clean including the trap,is marshmallows.
    I have a large Havaheart trap that I used for coons,porcupines,and skunks.
    On the ground,using marshmallows you will not catch a domestic cat.
    Coon are like bear,they WILL come back.
    When handleing a wire mesh trap with a coon in it,be especially careful to not let a finger go through the wire. They WILL tear it off. I used to drape my trap with an old blanket,then pick it up using the handle ONLY. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was the Animal Control Officer in my small town (actually two small towns side by side) in Maine. Best thing for coons when you gotta keep things clean including the trap,is marshmallows.
    When handleing a wire mesh trap with a coon in it,be especially careful to not let a finger go through the wire. They WILL tear it off. I used to drape my trap with an old blanket,then pick it up using the handle ONLY. ---- SAWMAN
    My practice is to first poke the barrel of a .22 rifle through the mesh and shoot them a few times in the head.
    When I was working UWF years ago I saw a very sick raccoon that was foaming at the mouth that could not get out of the dumpster. I put a board down into the dumpster and retreated inside the building. I did not feel good about touching that board afterwards. Any cage that has had a raccoon in it I leave in full exposure of the sun since that kills viruses. But to be honest I have never heard of anyone catching rabies from a raccoon even though they do commonly carry it.

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2003/Summer/rabies.shtml
    Rabies in Raccoons
    Raccoons act as a reservoir for rabies in the United States. In fact, the majority of rabies cases in the U.S. are in wildlife, with raccoon cases predominating. In the U.S., 90% of all rabies cases occur in wildlife. During 2000, raccoon rabies made up 41% of wildlife cases diagnosed with skunks, bats and foxes making up the balance. To limit the exposure of humans and domestic animals to rabies, it is important for veterinarians to know the current geographic distribution of rabies, the procedure if a human or animal is bitten by a wild animal, and be familiar with rabies diagnostic testing.

Geographic distribution: Raccoon rabies was much less prevalent in the U.S. prior to 1950. From 1950-1970, the incidence of raccoon rabies began to rise, especially in Florida and Georgia. In 1977,

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Roger that!!!!!!!

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    if they break the skin they can transmit it can't they?

Yes.

Or they spit on your glove/clothes and you transfer it to yourself via touching that spit and then touching your nose/mouth/eyes/ears or an open wound/scratch/etc.

^--- Although not as common, there are still lots of options to catch rabies from a rabid animal that didn't bite you. Their spit/saliva and nervous system tissue are the stuff you need to be careful of; not so much the piss/poop/blood.

So for those that decide to shoot a rabid animal in the head, be Extra Cautious about the infectious brain-matter you just aerosolized and exposed everywhere.

It's a nasty way for a human to die. Be careful.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I once had a real Stephen King type moment with a rabid coon staring me down. I was floating past it on a narrow creek in West Pensacola ( a way in the back of Bayo Chico, under the bridge and to the left, almost to Pete Moore) in broad daylight. Had to get past that coon to go home, and he knew he was boss. Real intelligent creatures. I could see the eyes working me over doing a threat assessment and the moment it made the decision to stand its ground was written clear as day across his face.

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Patriots!
    Thank you all for advancing the "know-how" of each of us. Tonight it has been quiet! Maybe my persistent harassments have encouraged he/she to travel on! We'll see!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I once had a real Stephen King type moment with a rabid coon staring me down. I was floating past it on a narrow creek in West Pensacola ( a way in the back of Bayo Chico, under the bridge and to the left, almost to Pete Moore) in broad daylight. Had to get past that coon to go home, and he knew he was boss. Real intelligent creatures. I could see the eyes working me over doing a threat assessment and the moment it made the decision to stand its ground was written clear as day across his face.
    You were most likely on Jacksons branch IIRC the name correctly. That area is full exotic vegetation from seeds washed down into the drainage. I have not been that way since before they pumped polluted sediments into the north clark sand pit from the last dredging of bayou chico.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    You were most likely on Jacksons branch IIRC the name correctly. That area is full exotic vegetation from seeds washed down into the drainage. I have not been that way since before they pumped polluted sediments into the north clark sand pit from the last dredging of bayou chico.
    Yep

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922-000151_Maps.jpg
      Screenshot_20200922-000151_Maps.jpg
      131.9 KB · Views: 86

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many years ago when I still lived on Long Island I had a family of raccoons go into my attic. When I looked to see how they got in I found a large hole chewed right through the roof. I waited until they left the attic the following evening and put a sheet of plywood over the hole. Thinking how smart I was and took care of the problem so easily.

The next day they chewed another hole a few feet away from the plywood covering. :eek:

That night when they came out I grabbed a .22 to take care of them. Unfortunately it was dark enough that I could not see good through the scope to hit the thing. My shot came close and was enough to scare all 3 (momma, poppa and junior) up a tree. Now I was pissed so I got a flashlight and a 12 gauge . Shined it up the tree and saw their eyes. Had my wife hold the light while I shot. 2 shots, 2 dead raccoons, third one (junior) fell out of the tree with first shot and ran away never to be seen again.

This was all in a residential neighborhood with half acre lots. Houses on both sides but none behind me. Buried them and went back inside quick, hoping nobody called the police. Actually think the neighbors were to scared to even make the call!

Thats how to get rid of coon's in the attic!;)

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom