• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a great gun collection but one thing I don't have that I'm looking to get is a bolt action Scout Rifle.

I would like all the criteria to meet what Jeff Cooper established but my most important aspect are:

1.) Length (both barrel & Overall)
    2.) Bolt Action
    3.) Caliber -.308/7.62X51
    4.) A rail that enables mounting a forward mounted Scout type scope.

I have been doing some research over the past month or so and I have really narrowed it down to 2 rifles:

1.) Savage 110 Scout
    2.) Mossberg MVP Scout

Both, from what I've seen, seem to hold their own and their plus and minuses even out.

The 110 Scout has an adjustable stock, decent trigger

The MVP Scout is a little lighter, less expensive, has side rails on the handguard

Just based on the reviews I am leaning toward the Savage but the Mossberg has one thing that sticks out.

The Mossberg's magazines are interchangeable with AR10/M1A. As I do have an M1A should I give the fact that they are interchangeable or should I just buy several mags for the Savage and not overthink things.

The Savage's mags are the Magpul AICS mags so they a good quality.

For the record, the cost of the extra mags isn't the issue, I don't mind spending the extra money. This issue is more practicality than cost.

Also, I looked at other before narrowing it down like the Ruger and the Styer, if I missed something or you think there are better choices than the two I've narrowed down please let me know.

I'm a big Ruger fan, their rifle just didn't make the cut. Again if I missed something please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Have you considered just getting a Ruger American Predator 308 shorty instead?
    It has both the rotary stock mags and can be swapped to accept the AICS mags. Really the only difference is the forward mounted optic.
    You can likely still use a pistol style scout scope, but also aren't forced to only use one either.
    They come with threaded barrels and are fun can hosts too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you considered just getting a Ruger American Predator 308 shorty instead?
    It has both the rotary stock mags and can be swapped to accept the AICS mags. Really the only difference is the forward mounted optic.
    You can likely still use a pistol style scout scope, but also aren't forced to only use one either.
    They come with threaded barrels and are fun can hosts too.

I didn't consider it but it does look interesting.

The only thing is that the barrel is a little longer than I am looking for.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I didn't consider it but it does look interesting.

The only thing is that the barrel is a little longer than I am looking for.
    I did a quick search earlier and found this interesting side by side with a Steyr. It actually looks smaller overall.
    I'll include a Pic of mine after the new stock. It was super light when I bought it new. I threw a nice stock on it from Boyd's that I bought off the forum here for a good deal. Then slapped a PSA SLX 1x prism on it to test fire it with supers and subs. I still need to get a decent proper scope for it. I have a Vortex LVPO tho with a QD mount on a Ruger Ranch 300 BLK and I for now share it between the two sorta.
    Works pretty decent.
    So far they're some fun can hosts that sorta fits the bill for cheap.

Attachments

• 20230317_122215.jpg
      20230317_122215.jpg
      354.7 KB · Views: 49
    • Screenshot_20230825_204513_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20230825_204513_Gallery.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 52

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The Mossberg's magazines are interchangeable with AR10/M1A. As I do have an M1A should I give the fact that they are interchangeable
    Absolutely the #1 biggest reason I went with the MVP. Second is the included iron sights in addition to the rail.

Sure, AICS mags are available now... but 4 years into a 10 year WW3, yeah right. You'll be lucky to have decent foot wear and a warm coat patched 10 times, nevermind an extra mag. Meanwhile all the semiautomatic AR10's and M1A's and issued M14's will have 20 mags each. You'll be much better off with the MVP. Also consider how WW1 bolt action battle rifles and their 20 round "trench mags" ruled the day. A vest full of 20 and 30 round mags is where it's at when your life depends on it. Being able to replace those mags on the modern battlefield without placing an order to Cheaperthandirt.com is of absolute importance.

When taking aimed shots at distance a bolt action is just as fast as a semiautomatic, and half the weight. That rifle will be carried, not shot, 9/10 the time. A winded sniper is not a sniper if they can't get their heartbeat under control. Remember that. Lightweight rules the day.

You'll appreciate the 10 pounds I just saved you on mile 2 of your 20 mile ruck.

Irons weigh like a tenth what scopes weigh. Glass is heavy. Screws, caps, muddied/scratched glass, busted turrets and bent tubes all add error on a heavy use rifle. This is why safari guns all have irons. Also in Florida bush consider that 50 yards is a long shot. In CQB 150 yards is the average shot. At those distances on a man sized target a scope is simply not needed. Neither are windage or elevation adjustments. My MVP scout wears a QD red dot and a laser. That's it. Scope is not necessary. My scope's PEPR mount is QD if I decide I'll be in a hide at 300-500 yards some day. Plenty of AR QD scopes and red dots will be on the modern battlefield to replace mine should I ever need to. If not, I qualified at 500 yards 8 out of 10 shots with irons many times on active duty, and I'm sure given the chance I can do it again. You can too.

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Absolutely the #1 biggest reason I went with the MVP. Second is the included iron sights in addition to the rail.

Sure, AICS mags are available now... but 4 years into a 10 year WW3, yeah right. You'll be lucky to have decent foot wear and a warm coat patched 10 times, nevermind an extra mag. Meanwhile all the semiautomatic AR10's and M1A's and issued M14's will have 20 mags each. You'll be much better off with the MVP. Also consider how WW1 bolt action battle rifles and their 20 round "trench mags" ruled the day. A vest full of 20 and 30 round mags is where it's at when your life depends on it. Being able to replace those mags on the modern battlefield without placing an order to Cheaperthandirt.com is of absolute importance
    Yeah, Iron sights is a big bonus in of itself alone

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The claw extractor with controlled round feeding is the one thing the M77 receiver has going for it. It can cycle upside down and backwards :) that being said, the Ruger mags killed any consideration of the Ruger as a service rifle for me. They are much heavier than the MVP too.

Something that might redeam the M77 scout is if you live in a saltwater environment or expect to go swimming, they are available in stainless steel. This can be mitigated in the MVP with a quality cerakote though, nevermind proper maintenance with actual CLP

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    The claw extractor with controlled round feeding is the one thing the M77 receiver has going for it. It can cycle upside down and backwards :) that being said, the Ruger mags killed any consideration of the Ruger as a service rifle for me. They are much heavier than the MVP too.

Something that might redeam the M77 scout is if you live in a saltwater environment or expect to go swimming, they are available in stainless steel. This can be mitigated in the MVP with a quality cerakote though, nevermind proper maintenance with actual CLP
    Control feeding does seem awesome. I've wondered tho, can you drop a round in the chamber to pull off a quick shot when the mag is empty? Or must it be mag fed?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Control feeding does seem awesome. I've wondered tho, can you drop a round in the chamber to pull off a quick shot when the mag is empty? Or must it be mag fed?
    You can throw a round in thru the top, yes.

A billion combat tested Mausers (including millions of Mauser clones like our venerable 03 Springfield, M1917 and M1914) over 130 years can't be wrong

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Yeah, just as you say I struggle including the Ruger on the short list.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Sure, AICS mags are available now... but 4 years into a 10 year WW3, yeah right. You'll be lucky to have decent foot wear and a warm coat patched 10 times, nevermind an extra mag. Meanwhile all the semiautomatic AR10's and M1A's and issued M14's will have 20 mags each. You'll be much better off with the MVP. Also consider how WW1 bolt action battle rifles and their 20 round "trench mags" ruled the day. A vest full of 20 and 30 round mags is where it's at when your life depends on it. Being able to replace those mags on the modern battlefield without placing an order to Cheaperthandirt.com is of absolute importance.

When taking aimed shots at distance a bolt action is just as fast as a semiautomatic, and half the weight. That rifle will be carried, not shot, 9/10 the time. A winded sniper is not a sniper if they can't get their heartbeat under control. Remember that. Lightweight rules the day.

You'll appreciate the 10 pounds I just saved you on mile 2 of your 20 mile ruck.

Irons weigh like a tenth what scopes weigh. Glass is heavy. Screws, caps, muddied/scratched glass, busted turrets and bent tubes all add error on a heavy use rifle. This is why safari guns all have irons. Also in Florida bush consider that 50 yards is a long shot. In CQB 150 yards is the average shot. At those distances on a man sized target a scope is simply not needed. Neither are windage or elevation adjustments. My MVP scout wears a QD red dot and a laser. That's it. Scope is not necessary. My scope's PEPR mount is QD if I decide I'll be in a hide at 300-500 yards some day. Plenty of AR QD scopes and red dots will be on the modern battlefield to replace mine should I ever need to. If not, I qualified at 500 yards 8 out of 10 shots with irons many times on active duty, and I'm sure given the chance I can do it again. You can too.
    Yeah, Iron sights is a big bonus in of itself alone

Doesn't the Savage have the sights as well?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Doesn't the Savage have the sights as well?
    Some do. Theres their "hog hunter" model, but it was not a detachable mag. I looked at that model for a few years before the MVP hit the market

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230826-082714.png
      Screenshot_20230826-082714.png
      646 KB · Views: 35
    Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Look into a 308 FR8 Mauser. There's one for sale on the Forum right now. I've had half a dozen of them. Except for not having a detachable magazine, they are a first rate scout rifle. The benefit is in controlled round feed bolt and the ability to mount a modern bayonet. They have 16 inch barrels with bird cage flash suppressors and cleaning kit compartments. Very high speed for a Mauser. I sold my FR8 rifles and kept the bayonet, it is that high quality of a utility/fighting knife

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Look into a 308 FR8 Mauser. There's one for sale on the Forum right now. I've had half a dozen of them. Except for not having a detachable magazine, they are a first rate scout rifle. The benefit is in controlled round feed bolt and the ability to mount a modern bayonet. They have 16 inch barrels with bird cage flash suppressors and cleaning kit compartments. Very high speed for a Mauser. I sold my FR8 rifles and kept the bayonet, it is that high quality of a utility/fighting knife
    Just found one of my buddies has three of these fairly rare modern Mauser bayonets for sale at the show today for $60 each

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_113211968.jpg
      IMG_20230826_113211968.jpg
      352.1 KB · Views: 41
    • IMG_20230826_113447382.jpg
      IMG_20230826_113447382.jpg
      275.1 KB · Views: 39

ted-hurst

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a Ruger Frontier .308 and it shoots awesome! Took a little bit to get used to the scope but after that I like it a lot. Mine looks like this one.

Attachments

• 7866579_02_ruger_frontier_scout_308_640.jpg
      7866579_02_ruger_frontier_scout_308_640.jpg
      10.5 KB · Views: 42
    Top Bottom