• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So Yesterday I bought a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT. There is only a few things I want to do to and one thing is put a leveling kit on it and then change out the tires for some all terrains. Hopefully some 33" all terrains. I don't want anything huge but just something that will look nice and when I go out to Colorado on the elk hunts I have a tire with better traction. Anyways my question to the truck gurus are what size leveling kit would you recommend? 2.5" or 3"? I don't want to look like the fool with the front high and the back low. The first picture is my truck and the second picture is the same type truck I got off google so you can see the angle of the truck to get a better idea. I appreciate all the information. I'm on my third vehicle and this is the first one I have ever actually wanted to do some stuff to it so I am a newbie on "customization" like this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      160.5 KB · Views: 402
    • Capture1.PNG
      Capture1.PNG
      110.6 KB · Views: 365
    Last edited:

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Measure the height from the middle of the rear wheel well opening and then measure the front, the difference will be what you will need to get a true level.
    Browse the truck forums to get a idea on what kits are the best quality, Bilstein usually makes a leveling strut for trucks instead of using the spacers kits.
    2 inches was the max that most people recommend in my truck modifying days. Anything more would put the CV axles at a pretty bad angle, a proper lift kit was a way around that.
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'd go with the higher leveling kit, those are 18" rims right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    congrats on the new truck! looks very nice. I have a 2" Rough Country leveling kit on my 2014 and 275/70R18 tires. has a slight rake just how I want it. I can load up the bed without the redneck squat.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you end up buying tires, do yourself a favor a skip the BFG Allterrains. Can't help but get stuck with those. Nitto seems to make a good AT tire

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Carefully consider the "unintended " consequences of a jack and abnormally big tires.
    Gas mileage will decrease quite a bit. Your speedo will be off quite a bit. And . . . . trucks,like cars nowadays,are designed around the usage of the best aerodynamics. Step back and take a look. This isn't the old 1967 Dodge Power Wagon.
    This truck was designed for efficiency. Start "dramatically" changing stuff around and your truck will see abnormal were and tear. Especially (IMO)in the running gears. Front end,stearing box,tie rods,rear differential,U joints.etc.etc.
    Cooling . . ? . . . sitting up higher will the effects of the front air dam be realized ?? Stability at speed ?? Stopping distance ?? Tracking ?? How about insurance liabilities ??
    With 33's . . . what will your estimated fuel milage be ??? ---SAWMAN

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2 inch level is what I went with on my 2010 and bought Nitto's in 285-65-18. Bought them at the Chevy dealer (not Sandy & Bubbas). They were a little over 3 bills cheaper then my usual tire store I go to in Crestview.

I am going to go 2 inch on my 14 now since I almost have 60K on the stock tires and gonna go the same route. Don't worry about "throwing your speedometer off", it doesn't unless you jack it up with huge tires. Your fuel mileage will go down a bit. My 2006 I put 20's on threw it off by 3 MPG!!!

Mine were 4x4, is the one you got 4x4?

Last edited:

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First: Is the truck 2 or 4 wheel drive? I did read a few comments, SawMan, lifting a truck 2 inches isn't going to affect much except the front-end alignment, Once you get it lifted & figure out what tires your going to get, when you get the tire's I would get the front-end aligned. I can't stress that enough. Lifting it 2" will make the tire's have positive camber in the front & will eat up the outside of the tire's pretty quick. I wouldn't buy Nitto Tires. If you need help finding the right lift, tires, etc.. Let me know, I can get you a pretty good deal on most stuff, but Tire's Ect.. on 9-mile right by the rail-road tracks is your best bet for tires, they may install the lift, seeing it's a 2" leveling. I know the guy that owns it & I'm 99% sure he will give you the best deal on tires in the area & they do alignment's. If you decide to check his prices out shoot me a pm so I can give you his name & you can tell him I sent you.
    I have had trucks lifted 10"s with 40's, To slammed 5/7" with 20s, on a 97 Chevy 2 wheel drive, that was 17 years ago. Are you going to try to do the lift yourself, etc...? If you need help figuring out what you want to do or you need someone to help you find the right stuff to do it or someone to do the install just shoot me a pm with your number or I will pm you mine. I've had a lot of experience in this field, seeing how this is what I used to do for 15+ years before becoming disabled. I have pictures of the trucks I've had over 18 years & I did everything to them.

JWlineman that is a good looking truck, 13-14 MPG is kind of low. What year is your truck, 05-06? I would do a good tune-up, induction cleaning, etc....Both of you have good looking trucks & like I said If you have any questions shoot me a pm or ask on here. Hopefully this helps you understand a little bit more. Google "Chevy Forums" there is a lot of useful information on some of those forum's.

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    20's with AT/MT will decrease your gas mileage. It's not the size of the tire when you are talking 33's, the 20" wheels weigh a lot and it messes with your gear ratio. If you are just putting 33's on your stock tires and lifting it 2" to be level it shouldn't throw off your gas mileage, if any 1-2 mpg. It also depends on the motor, 4.8, 5.3, 6.2... I have a 2-wheel drive ext-cab, with 2" drop shackles in the rear so it sits level, step-side w/ 5.3 and when I had 24's I was getting 14-15mpg, Now it has stock 20" Chevy Chrome wheels and it gets around 17mpg in the city. It just turned 100k miles, I've replaced the plugs twice, I do my own induction cleaning and throttle body cleaning, you wouldn't believe the carbon build-up still. I usually put a bottle of SeaFoam every 3-4 months with a full tank of 93. I just bought a new truck myself and am getting ready to sell the Chevy.

loadtoad1a7

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am interested in this subject as well, I just bought a 2016 LT 4x4 and looking to put a 2" leveling kit and 32" all terrains. Looking forward to the responses you get.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Budbreak it is an '06 with just under 200k. Maybe it's time for a tune up, but I didn't buy it for the mpg...
    I priced around last year a good bit and Tires etc. by the RR tracks had the best price on the Coopers I got.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am interested in this subject as well, I just bought a 2016 LT 4x4 and looking to put a 2" leveling kit and 32" all terrains. Looking forward to the responses you get.

275/70R18 is the biggest you can go without a lift and no rubbing on a current body style I think.. I am currently on a set of General Grabber AT2. It is surprisingly quiet on the road. I'd buy another set when this one wears out.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a 2002 chevy 2500hd ext cab 4x4. It has the 6.0 vortec gas engine with 183,000 miles. I have had it since 2005 and 40k on it. It has a 6" suspension lift with 285/75r16 nitto terra grapplers. About 32.8" tall. This is my second set of these tires. The first set I got 78,000 miles on them with no obivious wear pattern. Only reason I changed them at that time was to get a more aggressive tire for the trails. But now that Im not in the mud anymore I really like the nittos. I have had the truck adjusted for the tires so my speedo and odometer are correct. I get 12 mpg in town and about 14.5 on the interstate. My truck weights 6600 lbs

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    JW- I have an '05 2wd with a 6in lift and 35's. Bought me a bully dog and I average 17-18mpg hwy. I don't drive stop and go traffic much. When I first got the truck I was getting 12mpg. You ever think of getting a bully dog? I know 4wd get worse mileage but still might give you a boost. It's only $200

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    JW- I have an '05 2wd with a 6in lift and 35's. Bought me a bully dog and I average 17-18mpg hwy. I don't drive stop and go traffic much. When I first got the truck I was getting 12mpg. You ever think of getting a bully dog? I know 4wd get worse mileage but still might give you a boost. It's only $200
    I did when I first got the truck about 3 1/2 yrs ago but I figured with 200k miles it wouldn't make a big difference. I have a K&N CAI and plans on a MagnaFlow. Might need to look into after a tune up. Thanks Deersniper

Top Bottom