• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RR-in the career change thread you posted about jobs in the merchant marine. I also remember the pic you posted of the big boat a while back. Makes me believe you can answer my big boat question. I overheard a conversation once in which a guy was remarking on how few people actually work on these big boats nowadays. He also indicated that the industry was trying to eventually have boats with no crewman on them at all. How would this be possible? Seems like you would need some mechanics on board if the thing broke down. What is your opinion on how truthful this all is.
    Thanks!!!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Well. I work on a 1000 foot vessel. We have a total crew of 22. Back in the 70's it was closer to 35. It could be possible for ocean crossing, but as soon as the ship got close to land a docking crew would have to board. Its alot like that nonsense about robot cars. There's also the uscg and UNIONS to deal with. And it's a large intricate machine with lots of things that can go haywire at a moments notice. For my job, lakes and rivers it would be a nogo. Not to mention weather and ice.

IMG_2880.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpg
      IMG_2880.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 132

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Buddy thanks for the answer! I see the crew reduction that the guy mentioned is true. Makes sense, everybody wants to do more with less nowadays anyway. I have a buddy that works on a towboat on the Mississippi River and they don't have a cook on board. If you want to eat, you cook it yourself. Your thoughts about the self driving boat makes a lot of sense. I suspect that this is one of those things that if you could do it, would you really want to.
    Thanks!!!

Top Bottom