• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How did the military teach you to keep track of how many rounds you were shooting so you would know you were about out of ammo?

One my buddy of mine said you simply just counted when you were shooting.

A combat veteran I talked to said after awhile counting rounds no longer was important because you had other things to worry about and they just kept shooting until they ran out.
    When an AK on the ground looks better than your P226 and its calling your name you should have been keeping track....

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Going back a few years, when we were wearing brown boots, we qualified with the M-1918 Browning Automatic Rifle. The magazine held 20 rounds, and we were taught to casually say "fire a burst of six." If you did it right, three sequences would leave you with one round in the chamber and one in the magazine.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Going back a few years, when we were wearing brown boots, we qualified with the M-1918 Browning Automatic Rifle. The magazine held 20 rounds, and we were taught to casually say "fire a burst of six." If you did it right, three sequences would leave you with one round in the chamber and one in the magazine.
    My father loved the BAR. It's amazing that they fielded a 20rd battle rifle and weren't undergunned. Considering the modern drum/giant mag craze.

bowedup48

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    With the M14, I never saw it fired on full auto in combat,with only 20 round mags available, full auto @ 760 rounds per minute and a 20 round mag that's 12 rounds per second empty in 2 secs and the muzzle rise is horrendous and not too accurate,we would tape two mags together end to end,you sweated bullets when the ammo cans were empty,and then you grabbed weapons of opportunity,in a fire fight you never bothered about how many went down the barrel , you were always looking for the next ammo can. And the M-1918... we called it "Thumper"was and still is a great battle rifle. Often had a BAR man in a rifle team or squad,300-350 rounds per minute,manageable even with it being a 30-06 ,but it took a BIG dude to tote it.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When you hear the "Clip" ping upon ejection, that's a good indicator. Actually, that's a bit before my time. I think its actually your subconscious tracking your firing rhythm and you get a "feel" for it when you get close. You still fire till bolt lock unless your going to move, assault or enter structure: then you seat a fresh mag and retain the partial.

Working a Pig or Ma Duce with a A-Gunner: they told you when the belt was getting short so you could hit the priorities/closer threats before the reload (sometime they can connect belts but don't count on it). A good A-Gunner will also be retrieving belts from those with lead in their asses. You still "scanned" your remaining belt while engaging targets just as you scan everthing else that can bite your ass or blind side you. Because you have a much longer firing rate you need extra eyes on your flanks and rear where your not focused.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My father loved the BAR. It's amazing that they fielded a 20rd battle rifle and weren't undergunned. Considering the modern drum/giant mag craze.

Yeah, but I'd trade my sister for a BAR Drum, that woulda been a Party Favor!! :D

Makes me miss the M60 tho...it woulda made a better wife than the one I married!! 12072626_1114766048534348_6941719609483495687_n.jpg

Top Bottom