• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello. I'm the Gunsmith at Talon.Colt Howard. Just wanted to share some views on the Colt Pythons and Anacondas currently being produced by Colt/CZ.
    I grew up with the old school original models and had a hard time changing my views when it came to quality of production "Old vs New".
    But after working extensively with both models now. I've concluded the New models hold several advantages over the orginals with minimal action work.
    The hand fitted honed models of the past may have been slick as glass out of the box. However. They did have their shortcomings that could not be altered or corrected. (I.E) the original Colt Pythons were sensitive to impact in the grip area, the very reason that many LEO entities rufused to allow their adoption into service weapons. A common method for correcting cylinder lockup timing at the factory, was to impact the leading or trailing edge of the grip heel with a heavy leather or sometimes lead hammer. The structural strength of the frame has been greatly improved in the the New guns and rely more on accuracy in cnc repeatable tollerances.
    The original Pythons were also Very susceptible to Frame stretch under the rear sight area of the frame and backstrap.
    After doing many many action jobs on both Old and New. Ive concluded the Currently produced Pythons and Anacondas are structurally superior in this area.
    With a good reputable smith doing an action job, they are overall, better guns in my opinion that have correctable downfalls vs the old model issues that can never be fixed.

Attachments

• 20231006_130355.jpg
      20231006_130355.jpg
      398.6 KB · Views: 66
    • 20231006_130359.jpg
      20231006_130359.jpg
      515.1 KB · Views: 63
    • 20231006_144636.jpg
      20231006_144636.jpg
      721.4 KB · Views: 67
    • 20231011_101450.jpg
      20231011_101450.jpg
      612.3 KB · Views: 66

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The new ones apparently aren't internally polished / honed ( was surprised at tooling marks & roughness of internal parts ) like the old V spring models . Good to hear they're superior structurally . Wonder about barrel quality as that's one thing the older Colts were known for . For a serious magnum caliber DA revolver they were IMHO more show than go . Still have a '60 vintage OMM 38 & it'll still outshoot any K38 . With its faster twist , correct land / groove ratio & tighter chambers & a SA break that'd make an angel weep , it rivals many target pistols .

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The new ones apparently aren't internally polished / honed ( was surprised at tooling marks & roughness of internal parts ) like the old V spring models . Good to hear they're superior structurally . Wonder about barrel quality as that's one thing the older Colts were known for . For a serious magnum caliber DA revolver they were IMHO more show than go . Still have a '60 vintage OMM 38 & it'll still outshoot any K38 . With its faster twist , correct land / groove ratio & tighter chambers & a SA break that'd make an angel weep , it rivals many target pistols .
    The barrel steel in these newer colts is harder than the original colts. Ive ported several and i use carbide tooling.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The barrel steel in these newer colts is harder than the original colts. Ive ported several and i use carbide tooling.
    Look at the dia of the hammer pin. Much larger than the old style. And the internals are manufactured with high spots that keep them from contacting the walls inside the frame.

Top Bottom