• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Red dots? If so, I generally prefer as small a red dot as possible.

For handgun use within typical handgun ranges, 3 is large enough for fast and easy acquisition but no so large that it covers your target at 50 yards. And FWIW, at 10 yards, the dot seemed to be about the same size as 9mm hole in a splatter target, which is very satisfying to see and use.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Info in ... info out Bob.

What will it be used for ?? What will it be put on ?? What will the estimated distances that you will shoot with it ?? What chambering ?? What ambiant light ?? Do you prefer red dots or green dots ?? Auto brightness control ?? Auto shut down ?? I assume you are talking true ZERO magnification ??

Come on Bob ... open up to us,we are your friends,we are here for you buddy. :whistle::pop2: ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Putting it on a Glock 40 Gen4 MOS 10mm weapon , forgot to put that down, thanks, need all the input I can get??

Not knowing I got the 6 MOA and it looks like I should of got the 3MOA sounds like, Just want to hit what I shoot atCorrect?

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To keep it simple: As a general rule, go for a bigger dot if you're looking for faster acquisition, smaller dot if you're looking for greater precision.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    TJ is right in his above. For close range competition the 6MOA dot will cover 3 inches at 50 yds and 1.5 inches at 25yds. This is another way to look at it. For hunting where the distance could be out to 50yds I would opt for a 3MOA dot at the largest.

If your targets are IDPA close you might even give a 10MOA dot a look-see. In anything you choose make sure that there is PLENTY of brightness settings and you DO NOT have to dismount your sight to change the batteries. For hunting apps make sure that the brightness setting go down very low. Also back when I shot with these sights the battery life was not great but now the technology is there that will make the sight(some sights)last for 50K hrs or more.

Ever consider a green,high output laser vs a red dot sight ?? --- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Putting it on a Glock 40 Gen4 MOS 10mm weapon , forgot to put that down, thanks, need all the input I can get??

Not knowing I got the 6 MOA and it looks like I should of got the 3MOA sounds like, Just want to hit what I shoot atCorrect?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have them ranging from 8moa to 3.25moa and can use any of them to hit a 12" gong at 150 yards without much effort. A 6moa dot is 3moa at 50 yards a 3moa is 1.5moa at 50 yards. Point being most people aren't capable of grouping their pistol within the size of the dot for a given distance so it really comes down to a preference. I don't feel too handicapped when I'm using a larger dot on a pistol and depending on what I'm doing prefer a larger dot for some things like CQB because the larger dot I can pick up ever so slightly quicker.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the input, need to get all the information I can get on them red dots, as far as taking a shot on any type of game, guess a person needs to set there limits say at 50 yards {A 6moa dot is 3moa at 50 yards }and be sure he can place that shot in the zone to take the animal down, anything longer guess you need to be using a rifle, have heard Razor Dodd and Keith Warren making longer shots, but that's on them TV shows and we know what they say about them TV show :llama:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Bob, I look at this as ..... "cross bow hunting with a pistol". Keep this in mind when you choose the sights,the distances for sighting in,and the max distance to be shot at a game animal. Remember also that a pistol rd is really slow and the B.C. is damn near non existent.

You also need to pick your cover carefully and the rest that you will(or will not)have when sitting in or behind that cover. I always carry a shooting stick for tent blind,brush blind,or tree stand. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom