• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thank you so so much for the support and prayers. The auction for Jack is something we will forever hold dear. Those of you who have reached out us personally we will always be in your debt. I’m not a great man but if you ever need anything I am the guy who will be there at 2am when you call, no questions and no explanations needed. Loyalty is everything to me. We had to cancel our make a wish foundation trip. Some of our other children got sick and we were terrified for Jack. At the ER they put us in the same room Jack was diagnosed in, kinda freaked me out. My wife had a meltdown, but they are ok now. Jack is a fighter. He looked at me and his mother the other day and told me out of the blue “Dad, in my heart I’m a tiger” as he raised both fists in the air In victory. He does that when he is super happy like when we say we are going to the beach lol. Somehow during this nightmare he has had a growth spurt, and is taller with broader shoulders. He doesn’t have much leg control to even stand anymore and I carry him everywhere and we shower him as a team. I’m going to have to feed him soon. Seeing him struggle with head movement, not being able to push the buttons on his camera, etc. Had to break down when he told me he can’t hold things very well anymore. Difficult for me to give up the facade of not breaking down in front of my wife and kids which is devastating to me. Nothing I take more seriously than being a provider and protector of our family. As a man who has always been in charge of my emotions not being able to compartmentalize and squash this down is…not in my realm. Maybe a lifetime of being a “carry your own water” type dude and using the heavy bag to deal with things has come home to roost and my compartments are full. Thanks to the owner and moderators for allowing this space.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Call Texas A&M

View attachment 237286 View attachment 237287 View attachment 237288
    Five and a half years ago, when my wife was diagnosed with glioblastoma I had read about the similarities with dogs that have it also and that research on them was applicable to humans. There are advances being made often these days, contact doctors at any hospital showing promise. You don't know where a miracle might come from. My wife's miracle was at Shands, but other places are having good results also.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Spoke with Shans, St Jude, Ohio, LA, San Fran, and a team at Stanford. Can’t get in any of the clinical trials. Not giving up, nor giving in. Even reached out to Elon Musk on Twitter. Jack has developed a head tremor and his left eye doesn’t always center as the tumor is on the rightish side of his brain stem so affects his left side first. He doesn’t stand much and I feed him now. Thankfully he has always been ambidextrous. His courage and strength are amazing and I fight daily to hold it together in his presence. Sometimes I fail. Had a good day at Oops Alley recently. He beat two other adults and 4 older kids pushing the ball down the little ramp from his wheel chair lol. Rediscovered my religious roots and pray and meditate and listen to my favorite preacher Joseph Prince. This irks my father as he has been a preacher since before I was born lol. Last week I went to the local gas station to grab some small items for my wife. On the way home I was overcome and had to pull into the parking lot of a local business. Thought I was hidden behind my sunglasses but a friend called to check on me as a friend of his had recognized me. In my melt down I reached out to a member here who had given me his contact information while we were in Studers. Never seen or even talked to him before. I do not have permission to name him and therefore I will not. He answered and talked me down. Not only did he talked me down he shared powerful insights about life and his own struggles with grief. My feeling is we sorta bonded and hope to meet him someday to look him in the face and shake his hand and say thanks. The folks on this board are golden and it’s unfathomable to me how so many can be so giving and kind. I extend Grace to others like never before and hope I can continue to evolve as a better man. You know who you are. Thanks GCGF.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jack is still with us. He no longer walks or stands. I feed him as do his siblings and mom. His left leg and foot are swelling and he looks to his left now mostly. Screaming at God in my yard this morning. Why. How does anyone get through this? Why? 300 kids a year and it has to be our perfect Jack. I made his mother go with a friend to get her toes done yesterday. She is my light and blessing for 15 years now. Her pain must be 100 times mine. Held his perfect face in my hands and locked eyes and talked about what is happening for the third and probably final time. He is more than any parent could ever hope for. He looks different of course with his growth spurt and the steroids. I told him you will always be our perfect boy, my son. He told his mom he is scared to die. We explained everything and our beliefs as we have since before he could walk. I picked out a Spider-Man urn for him. Handled the appointment on my own. Hardest most horrible thing I’ve ever had to do, and I’ve experienced some truly bad things in my life and work. Could not have his mom my perfect wife and friend go through that. Covenant hospice has been amazing. Got us a shower chair for him. Took us clothes and grocery shopping Friday. Always there for supplies or counseling or whatever. If you’re listening God I praise you and thank you for the time you have given us. Please bless our perfect boy and accept him when the time comes.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    i can say nothing that will take away your grief and anger.

thank you Lord Jesus for listening always. i lift my brother up to you, to console him, and give him and his family strength. place Your Angels around them and Jack especially..

Your ways are not our ways, and your thoughts are not our thoughts. Understanding will be ours one day, on the other side.

Job said; Even though He slay me, yet will I praise Him.
    The problem is that most of us can’t. The pain and emotions are just too overwhelming. We are in survival mode.

Robert Service;

The Quest

I sought Him on the purple seas,
    I sought Him on the peaks aflame;
    Amid the gloom of giant trees
    And canyons lone I called His name;
    The wasted ways of earth I trod:
    In vain! In vain! I found not God.

I sought Him in the hives of men,
    The cities grand, the hamlets gray,
    The temples old beyond my ken,
    The tabernacles of to-day;
    All life that is, from cloud to clod
    I sought. . . . Alas! I found not God.

Then after roamings far and wide,
    In streets and seas and deserts wild,
    I came to stand at last beside
    The death-bed of my little child.
    Lo! as I bent beneath the rod
    I raised my eyes . . . and there was God.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Starting to lose control of his saliva. Drools and harder to speak. Jack concentrates and speaks deliberately now. He almost choked to death but I was able to finger sweep, heimlich twice, finger seeep again and get the obstruction out. Hotdog bun. Did not realize DIPG causes patients to “pocket” food, holding it like a chipmunk in their cheeks. The pons area of the brain stem controls swallowing, breathing, walking, eye movement, etc. The steroids are a double edge sword and slow the growth of the tumor but also cause fluid retention which causes the “moon face” we see in the little kids facing this horror. His memory is so sharp, really amazing. If this didn’t happen he could have been a professional card player. He beat all of us and two family friends two nights in a row in Texas hold’em. It is a family thing as I grew up playing cards with my grandparents and played with all my kids from a young age. His older brother is good too, and cold reads like Negreanu. Jack. If only I could have taught you how to play billiards. You’re almost as tall as your brother now who is five years older than you. I told him this morning through my tears how sorry I am and how we have tried everything we can and how proud I am of him, and honored to be his dad. He is so funny and smart and beautiful. There is a quiet dignity he possesses. His mother is losing it. Don’t know if counseling will save her. I refuse to let this swallow her up. We discussed how we are going to handle things. She wants to help me clean and dress him when it comes, we decided who we will call and in what order, and I will carry him out.

JP0311

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nobody should have to go through it. My wife lost her oldest in a house fire when he was 10, and if I learned anything , it's at how resilient women truly are. I hate seeing you go through this, but your posts alone have made me recognize how much more present in the moment I need to be with my kids. It's something most people take for granted including myself, and your story has definitely made me realize how little time there is, and spending time with them is far more important than anything else.

Top Bottom