APOD Firearms

Please appeal FWC looking to make rule of 3 point or better for Bucks in 2013-2014

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another double standard by most folks. Most of you don't want to be told what to do in most any thing else. But if it fits the way you hunt, you are all for it. I and my family personally do not eat any beef at all. We eat all venison. It takes between 5-7 deer depending on whether they are does or bucks to feed just me and my family of 5. We eat a lot of deer. And we eat it ALL. I hunt to eat the dang things. Not put them on the wall. If you want to hunt horns, join a club that is managed. There are plenty of managed places out there. And those of you saying to limit the number of deer as well, well I have something else nasty to say about that as well. FL does not have 225 lb deer everywhere to get a decent amount of meat. And no antler restriction out there will get the deer body size big enough for us to last the year on 2-3 deer.

This is not a trophy state. Yes, the deer can get bigger antlers with restrictions. I've seen it. But not everyone wants it. But because it suits the wants of some, they push it on others. It's a double standard with any regulation. It's dumb and I will call everyone a hypocrite that supports this type of regulation. IF it was the tree huggers pushing to limit things and restrict hunting in another fashion, I bet a bunch of people would sing a different tune. What works for you does not work for everyone. As long as the deer herd numbers are good, (which they are), I don't think there should be any change. Just because you hunt the public land and don't see bucks does not mean that they are not there. There are plenty of nice bucks in BW and other WMA lands. But they don't get big by being dumb.
    Oh whoopty doo. So you don't get to shoot spikes in 2014/2015 season. The next season you can shoot all the 1.5 year old basket racked 6 points you want and get to process a little more meat while you're at it.

Sure this isn't a trophy state like the midwest states. Only because Florida has always been a brown its down state instead of having anything that resembles proper heard management. It's not about bigger racks, it's about managing for a healthier deer herd. With healthier herds come healthier and bigger deer as a by product of proper management. With proper management Florrida can grow some great deer. Sure nothing like Ohio or Kansas but some good 120 - 140 bucks would be far more common if managed properly.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not about bigger racks, it's about managing for a healthier deer herd. With healthier herds come healthier and bigger deer as a by product of proper management. With proper management Florrida can grow some great deer. Sure nothing like Ohio or Kansas but some good 120 - 140 bucks would be far more common if managed properly.

I prefer to not shoot any spikes. And the smallest buck I shot last year was a seven point out of BW by the way. But I am not above shooting a spike either and I prefer not to tell the person hunting next to me that they can't shoot it either. The high and mighty antler hunters think that it's for the the herd management etc... Well herd management to an antler hunter is to manage for bigger antlers. The herd numbers around here are fine and healthy. You even mention the scores of bucks as the management numbers to go off of. I think along the lines of deer numbers. I don't know about you, but I prefer to see at least some does in the woods compared to nothing at all. Makes the hunt much more enjoyable.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are decent racks in Escambia river swamp. Just have to practice trigger control until they show up. Most of my hunting is done with a 35mm camera. Been watching this guy for 3 seasons now and let him live to walk another day. IMG_167988430384767.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_167988430384767.jpeg
      IMG_167988430384767.jpeg
      38 KB · Views: 133

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh and you don't need to shoot that spike. And by the way you don't need that 30 round mag or AR either. Regulations are idiotic no matter what the subject. Just because you think the regulations are needed does not make it right. Plenty of people want to put more regulations on our gun ownership. But I don't see people on here supporting that. The freedom of people work. People want to shoot better bucks and you know what they do? They formed clubs so that you can do so. That's how free thinking people do things without government intervention.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Fl killed almost all its deer at one time without regs, they were restocked along w the turkeys that had been wiped out too. Without regs that would happen again w the brown and down crowd. and 5 rds for deer is fine, if you miss 5 times you don't deserve to be hunting in the first place. I can use any size mag for hogs and yotes.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow! You guys should try hunting out west, where you have to apply by lottery and you might have 10 days to get it done. I'm good with the 3 point rule with the liberal season that Florida allows. After all a 3 point buck in this state may score 80. If it's meat you need, hunt the does. At least you won't have to handle the pecker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would be thrilled if they allowed us to fill the freezer with does. If we get control of the buck to doe ratio these spikes might just turn into wall hangers. If they let us shoot does maybe the meat hunters would let some of these 1.5yr old bucks walk. Why does FL not compete with neighboring states when it comes to deer management? AL and GA are now sought after for deer hunters willing to pay good money. Our soil is not quite the same but right now we are not even trying to compete.

redneck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bigger racks mean more meat on the bones so if your in it to fill the freezer shoot bigger deer or you could pack your bags and get north of the mason dixon

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Deer size and horns has alot to do with genics. Some deer will never get a large rack even if they live to be 4 or 5 years old. To many studies have been made on that. What deer have to eat has alot to do with it to.

Just to let people know you could shoot 10 does and only 2 bucks last year in Ga. To many does so if you had a half way good place to shoot you could fill your freezer.

Some will ask, why in the hell didn,t you stay in Ga. It's called a job for the rent.

Top Bottom