Patriot Mobile

Pig Hunting...Wanna do it, never done it...Input please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapiti_hunter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi everyone!

I live in Navarre and have seen several wild pigs on Eglins range. I would really like to hunt them, BUT, I have never done it, don't where to start, what not to do, what to do, keep from being the hunted..you know all the things a neophyte would do, caliber of weapon..and on and on...I really would appreciate all information.

Thank you Wapiti_Hunter

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To hunt them with any consistency, you need to get on a lease or private land with a good mess of them around. They will frustrate the heck out of you even when baiting etc... I've hunted them hard since May of last year and have only shot 4 of them so far. And I've got tons of them on camera at my lease. They change patterns from week to week and even day to day. They will leave known food sources and seek out food in other places. They are always on the move.

On Eglin, you can only hunt them during the scheduled deer season there. There are plenty along the yellow river sections of Eglin. But it's some thick and hard hunting near the river. You'll see so much sign but hardly ever a pig because their movements are more at night than anything else. Public land hog hunting is more luck than anything unless you can get in on a hog dog hunt. I think Eglin does those a few time a year. And I know they put on a few on certain sections of Blackwater WMA as well.

But private land where you can bait and hunt them at night is the best chance for them around here.

Just my observations since I started hunting them. In fact, I just cooked up some hog on the grill tonight and man was it tasty.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    TP is right, frustrating and rewarding at the same time. The right equipment, techniques and persistence!

My new targets for later in the year!

Attachments

• PICT0018.JPG
      PICT0018.JPG
      314.3 KB · Views: 131
    Top Bottom