• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Been cautious about playing with them. Using a great lakes only freq. ( figured I'd maybe stay out of trouble)
    These are very interesting can pick up all kinds of frequencies. Am, fm, police, fire etc. Way beyond my experience level with radio.
    Need to do some range testing and a hell of alot of reading.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It's addictive :)
    Before you know it you'll be running half a dozen nets out of your house and a few in your truck! Radio watch is like having a party line that anybody gets to listen in on. Radio was social media before anybody ever even knew what cell phones or the internet were! Did you get into field radio much on active duty? My MOS is field radio

Gonzolee10

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Been cautious about playing with them. Using a great lakes only freq. ( figured I'd maybe stay out of trouble)
    These are very interesting can pick up all kinds of frequencies. Am, fm, police, fire etc. Way beyond my experience level with radio.
    I've been kicking around the idea of getting one but I don't really know anything about them or anyone who is well versed in using them so I'm following

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I've been kicking around the idea of getting one but I don't really know anything about them or anyone who is well versed in using them so I'm following
    For casual use around the house by the uncertified, I suggest the Motorola Talkabout line of radios. Steers you clear of any regulatory repercussions

Hand Cannon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Curious. Which model Baofung radios did you buy? I have a couple of the UV-5r models but honestly have not done anything with them.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    UV5r is what I got as well. I just hit the side button to turn it to receive standard FM and then find my favorite stations. :)

I figure if there's a natural disaster, I can set it up so my family and neighbors all have a way to stay in communication.

Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I've got a couple Baofengs that I programmed for FRS and GMRS a while back but I've never actually used them for anything besides listening to the NOAA broadcast. I think it's a great idea to keep a few handy so you can keep your immediate community connected in bad times. I'm used to using Motorolla APX radios for work so it makes sense to have something for the neighborhood for a neighborhood watch/QRF.

If you guys are interested they make wireless programming dongles you can buy off of Amazon and then just use an app on your phone to program frequencies.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    UV5r is what I got as well. I just hit the side button to turn it to receive standard FM and then find my favorite stations. :)

I figure if there's a natural disaster, I can set it up so my family and neighbors all have a way to stay in communication.
    Yep, but we should be practicing now, not later.

ctc1066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've got a couple Baofengs that I programmed for FRS and GMRS a while back but I've never actually used them for anything besides listening to the NOAA broadcast. I think it's a great idea to keep a few handy so you can keep your immediate community connected in bad times. I'm used to using Motorolla APX radios for work so it makes sense to have something for the neighborhood for a neighborhood watch/QRF.

If you guys are interested they make wireless programming dongles you can buy off of Amazon and then just use an app on your phone to program frequencies.
    Would I just search for Baofeng wireless programming dongle or do I need more specificity.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'll buy lunch for Raven so he can walk us through the set up
    I'm not into teaching the uncertified. And your motives behind wanting to be certified can make you illegal to be certified, or not. I had a good friend who was a Marine certified ham radio operator and heavily into the local ham club. He actually turned down helping me get certified. He said my motives were illegal, and all they were was communication in time of need, like social unrest and natural disaster. So I'm not certified and I'm not teaching anybody. Good luck to everybody. Nothing personal. I highly suggest that everybody goes and joins the local ham radio operator club. Go see Bob down at Pea Ridge Flea Market, in the indoor section.

By the way I am a big huge fan of the Midland brand Basecamp model. It's got like three or four different power supply options and one of them is a hand crank. It also has the option to use it with a corded mic that comes included with it in the box, so I can stick it in my rucksack and use it like I did my radio on active duty

Screenshot_20231127-174520.png

Last edited:

ctc1066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not into teaching the uncertified. And your motives behind wanting to be certified can make you illegal to be certified, or not. I had a good friend who was a Marine certified ham radio operator and heavily into the local ham club. He actually turned down helping me get certified. He said my motives were illegal, and all they were was communication in time of need, like social unrest and natural disaster. So I'm not certified and I'm not teaching anybody. Good luck to everybody. Nothing personal. I highly suggest that everybody goes and joins the local ham radio operator club. Go see Bob down at Pea Ridge Flea Market, in the indoor section.

By the way I am a big huge fan of the Midland brand Basecamp model. It's got like three or four different power supply options and one of them is a hand crank. It also has the option to use it with a corded mic that comes included with it in the box, so I can stick it in my rucksack and use it like I did my radio on active duty

View attachment 255566
    Completely understand

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

I guess we will have to figure it out ourselves. :)

Top Bottom