• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Updated Kitty pic posted in post #35 below. Mystery may be solved.

I am not the only one after the deer and hogs in the woods. Me and another member actually walked up on this guy this morning and he jumped down from a tree by my feeder. I've went from 800 pictures of deer in 5-6 days to only a handful of deer pictures. This dang cat is using my feeder.

1009589_970457728272_858329736_o.jpg

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    No, you are wrong and so is your camera. There are only a handful of Florida panthers left and they are all in the Everglades. Just ask the game commmission.
    In fact you need to send them this picture and apologize for doubting them.
    Where was this taken ? What part of the Everglades ?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was hunting Elk in Idaho and sat under a tree to eat a sandwich. I heard sounds like a damn ATV in the distance, ignored it. After a few minutes I tried to see the source and found a Cougar up a tree with part of a kill about 20 yards away. Burrrrr, burrrr, burrrr.... Nice Kitty, Nice Kitty, time to go!!!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, you are wrong and so is your camera. There are only a handful of Florida panthers left and they are all in the Everglades. Just ask the game commmission.
    In fact you need to send them this picture and apologize for doubting them.
    Where was this taken ? What part of the Everglades ?

Yep. Delete the post and delete the picture files. There are no panthers north of the Glades.

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    Im not sure of the particular habits of Mt lions here in Florida, due to the heat and humidity and its affects on carrion. In Arizona, a mature Mt lion will kill a deer(its primary prey) about once every five to seven days. Thankfully they have a very large home range so the deer herds don't get hammered in a local area to bad...but it's still over 50 deer a year taken by adult Mt lions....thats a lot of venison.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hossfly and I were heading to a RC swap meet in GA early one morning a few years ago and saw one dead on the side of the road near Colquitte, GA. He wanted stop and pick it up but I didn't feel like spending quality time with Bubba in the hoosgow.

linkovich

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I used to hear rumors of a panther out in perdido.
    There used to be one out there. I remember seeing it when I was kid. It would come out to the edge of the treeline on my uncles property every now and then. This was probably 20 years ago though.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There were no panthers where I grew up in NY state, either. We did have a problem with feral dogs, though. That was the story, but my Dad scoped a "German Shepherd" chasing a deer once, and when he got the the animal in the scope, he set down his rifle. He said there was no way that was a dog. The tail was as long as the animal, and it "floated" over a barb wire fenceThis was early 1960's, before I was born. My older brother and sister say that Dad was so impressed and concerned by what he saw, that he went to the Game Warden (now it's a DNR officer) and told him he saw a Mountain Lion. The Warden said, flat out: "You saw a dog". Not, maybe it was a dog, not are you sure, but kind of Obi-Wan style, (These are not the droids you are looking for..) Then Dad was informed that there haven't been mountain lions in New York for almost 100 years.
    Dad asked the question that I've heard of other people in the Appalachian range asking, and got the same answer.
    What if I were to shoot a panther?
    The answer has been the same puzzle. He was told he'd be arrested, so don't even try.
    The puzzle is, how can someone be arrested for shooting something that's not there? In fact, in NY at the time, panthers were listed as "extinct" as far as fish and game laws were concerned.
    I trust my government. That was a dog in that picture. It was not the panther you're looking for.............

DrifterFisher

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hate to say this TP but you should have never posted this picture. Love to see wild life,but those make trouble.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would not be too quick to say there are no panthers in this area, have heard more than one story of some being around!!!!!!They can cover a lot of ground!!!Denny

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Either last year or the one before a Crestview policeman reported seeing one crossing the playground of the elementary school behind the Winn Dixie.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that a mineral block in the picture? Trying to judge size.

Your eyes can play tricks on you with this picture as well. My camera is pointed down a slope. The mineral block is only about 5 feet away and appears bigger in the picture. The cat is about 15-20 feet away down a hill and in a small hole. Based on what I can tell, this may be a female because it looks to be about 60-70 or so pounds. Or it's a young male.

I hate to say this TP but you should have never posted this picture. Love to see wild life,but those make trouble.

Haha, that's why I posted it. I was in the camp that believed that we didn't have any around here. That is until today!!!!

I had been having two large hogs on camera too pretty regularly. Now I only have one of the two showing up. Hmmm, wonder what happened to the other.

Last edited:

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like a bobcat to me, have you zoomed in and looked for a tail??

Dang Frank, what you feeding your bobcats? Here's a closer zoom. Unfortunately, it's hiding its tail.

Panther.jpg

Attachments

• Panther.jpg
      Panther.jpg
      97.2 KB · Views: 337

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What we are getting at is if there becomes an established population you can just about count on a large area being cut off to hunting, forever.

There are officially no panthers in NW FL or Alabama. Let's leave it that way.

Just like people reporting manatees in the bays. They will regret the day Jimmy Buffet's Save the Manatee organization finds out about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom