• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I just ordered 2 mid-length 16" mock dissipators. Chrome lined with a 1:7 twist. I see it as the best of both worlds: solid iron front sight with an extended handguard (without having a long free float that forces me to use a clip on front sight) and a soft and reliable cycling gas system.

Are they stupid or did I make a nice score? Anyone have dissipators? How do you like them?

azaqeze2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a spikes tactical dissipator upper and I really like it at lot, very cool look and nice sight radius and handling. Mine came with the MOE forend and I put a 3-9 scope on a larue SPR mount and the MOE light kit with a surefire on the end of it and actually took my first piggy with it. My apologies for what might be the worst picture in the history of gun pictures...

photo (20).jpg

Attachments

• photo (20).jpg
      photo (20).jpg
      114.8 KB · Views: 208

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I have a spikes tactical dissipator upper and I really like it at lot, very cool look and nice sight radius and handling. Mine came with the MOE forend and I put a 3-9 scope on a larue SPR mount and the MOE light kit with a surefire on the end of it and actually took my first piggy with it. My apologies for what might be the worst picture in the history of gun pictures...

View attachment 15144

Very nice. I like that can too!
    The way I see it, at the end of the day it's a mid length AR, which is great. I'm primarily an iron shooter, so I love the idea of the sight radius.
    But hey, it's a gun forum, not photography forum and that sweet piece of gear speaks for itself.
    I ordered mine from PSA, are they worth putting premium internal components, trigger, BCG. & CH? I've read mixed reviews.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The way I see it, at the end of the day it's a mid length AR, which is great. I'm primarily an iron shooter, so I love the idea of the sight radius.
    But hey, it's a gun forum, not photography forum and that sweet piece of gear speaks for itself.
    I ordered mine from PSA, are they worth putting premium internal components, trigger, BCG. & CH? I've read mixed reviews.

I made the mistake of getting a Geiselle SSA-E and putting it in the MK12 clone that I got, and now every trigger that I didn't mind before feels pretty rough. I actually just got stock notification for them the other day at Exile Machine for $186, which is the cheapest I have seen them by far so I grabbed two more.

I think that the best route is to grab one of the LPK's that doesn't include a trigger group and then just decide how much you want to spend on a trigger and what you want to do with the rifle. The ALG defense triggers are decent, I have a couple of each flavor and they are clean, but heavy, but they are also in the 50-60 dollar range.

As far as the BCG, I have been grabbing up the $79 AIM surplus deal each time I've needed one, I haven't run a ton of ammo through them yet, but they look decent to me, they also have a $99 BCG with a higher tech coating and some other features.

For the charging handle I like the BCM gunfighter mod4 the best of what I've messed with, but that is all preference, when I was out at Little Jack's he had some of those in stock for a good price btw.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I know Geissele's are great and I've got one on my short wish list, but you might want to try my ~$30 trigger mod first. http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?9814-35-DIY-AR-Trigger-Job

It's the cheapest way I've found to get a decent trigger in an AR. And when I can shoot a .63 MOA group with one in my 6.8 with hunting ammo, it's hard to justify spending the $200+ on the SD-E I've been lusting over for the last year...

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I like that!
    I'll have to try it. I'll be getting the new BCGs and CHs from BCM. I have triggers, so I can really only justify new ones when there's nothing else on my list. Your trigger mod might just be the thing to hold me off for a while and no longer have a HORRENDOUS trigger. When I do it, it'll be 4 triggers, so it'll be substantial savings. Heck, almost enough for another gun. Thanks Jeep!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like that!
    I'll have to try it. I'll be getting the new BCGs and CHs from BCM. I have triggers, so I can really only justify new ones when there's nothing else on my list. Your trigger mod might just be the thing to hold me off for a while and no longer have a HORRENDOUS trigger. When I do it, it'll be 4 triggers, so it'll be substantial savings. Heck, almost enough for another gun. Thanks Jeep!

You're welcome. I know JohnAL has tried one of mine and I think Ian has also. Maybe they will chime and give you some insight compared to other triggers. I've never shot a Geissele, but I don't think there was a lot of difference between my trigger job and Ian's Timney (I think he's got the heavier one, so it may not be fair to compare).

When I first built my AR pistol, the trigger pull was so long, heavy and gritty that I couldn't even hold it on target while trying to squeeze the trigger. Once I did those mods, it felt like a completely new trigger.

I just got a trigger pull gauge on Monday. I'll try to remember to break it out tonight and see what kind of weights they all are.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brant's trigger in comparison to my 4, or 4.5 # timney made me feel bad about my timney purchase... The SSAE is a different story, but the return on investment may not be worth it, I'd have to compare them head to head again, its hard to justify 18x dollars for a trigger when such a vast improvement can be made for such little coin.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Brant's trigger in comparison to my 4, or 4.5 # timney made me feel bad about my timney purchase... The SSAE is a different story, but the return on investment may not be worth it, I'd have to compare them head to head again, its hard to justify 18x dollars for a trigger when such a vast improvement can be made for such little coin.

You can come "pull my trigger" anytime, Ian. :hug:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually what I did was buy this kit http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/products/drop-in-ar-trigger-kit with the JP springs.

It is basically TennJeep's mod but in addition they stone and polish the parts. My Colt LE-6920 went from feeling like a 7lb 3 stage trigger full of sand to a clean and crisp 3.5 lb with no creep. It costs somewhat more than TennJeep's modification but I think having a pro work the trigger group was well worth the $90 total for the package. Snow Bird or someone had Brimstone work his Mini-14 trigger and was quite happy with it. I also had Brimstone work two Ruger 10/22 trigger groups and it beats the pants off of do-it-yourself Volqartsen parts. $0.02

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    And likewise, Dan. If you ever get over this way, holler at me and I'll let you try the trigger(s) out and see what you think.

Thanks , I appreciate that. I think I'll have to do the triggers anyway. My next purchase is pretty substantial, so I'll have to put the nice drop in triggers on hold, and this will be the perfect way to hold off for a while. I do think the BCM stuff is worth it since it comprises the actual guts of the system. Thanks again.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    John, Brimstone did my Mini 14 and a friends AR15 and you know they do really good work. I don't recomend to many people but I sure recomend them and you can't beat there price.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom