• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    1920's era carpenter hatchet. Finally got off my ass and made a handle for it. Always nice to put a near century old tool back to work! Laminated a few pieces of hard maple together with some titebond 3 (I didn't have any hickory or ash) with a walnut wedge in the top to hold the hatchet head on. Feels great in the hand.

Attachments

• hatchet.jpg
      hatchet.jpg
      392.7 KB · Views: 90

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Looks too good to use!
    Hell no, that thing is gonna see a lot of use. If I break that handle in a few years or there's a flaw in it I didn't catch, I'll make another one! Tools are meant to be used, and I've got a lot of late 1800's-early 1900's hand tools I use regularly. Old stanley hand planes, some chisels, braces, etc. A little rust or pitting is nothing. You get them tuned right and they'll out-perform all but the most expensive modern tools. My grandfather made picture frames, some of them surround art in the Fine Arts Museum of the South in Mobile from when my grandmother was a docent there. I didn't appreciate the quality of hand-tool work when I was younger, and even as a trim carpenter in my 20's I didn't appreciate it. As I got older though, and started doing more and more intricate work, there's no power tool out there that can give as clean of a cut or as smooth of a finished surface as hand tools. I wish I'd gotten more of his old tools when he passed, especially all the shaper planes he had made over the decades, but I'm happy with the tools I do have and like to make sure they're not just decorations on a shelf somewhere.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Any tool I have sees use at some point. I'll find a reason to use it. This little piece was made with two different draw knives, some chisels, and while I did rough it out on the band saw, it was all finished by hand before I did some sanding to smooth out the rounds. Used water to raise any grains, then a card scraper to knock those down before torching it and applying an oil stain to help protect it. Will finish with a liberal application of boiled linseed and paste wax and she'll be good for a long time to come unless I break it

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Very nice. I wonder if that's a roofing hatchet, or a lathers hatchet? (aka sheetock hatchet.)
    I was watching a video on the history of lathers hatchets and the reason for them. Very interesting stuff. That groove I belive if for pulling nails. Some had a squared off head so that you can drive nails on inside corners better. The hatchet part was for cutting the hundreds of little 1×2 like lathing boards to fit where the studs break. Just a quick whack would cut it to fit and move to the next quickly. They then showed an old sheetrock instruction video and the guy was flying around fast doing it all. Way faster than stopping and using a saw. No one does lathe style plaster anymore tho, at least around here. I'm not sure that most sheetrockers even know why thier hammers have hatchet. Many think it's just for chopping sheetrock to fit lol. The video proved they kept them sharp for cutting sheetorock tho, and didn't use a knife much if ever. Pretty interesting.
    I too am fond of hand tools. I still carry a hand saw with all my tools. I need to also get a set of card scrapers and a card sharpener roller thingy. I refinish cabinets from time to time and I use makeshift scrapers to get thru the sticky gum and furniture polish people use on the doors lol. Trying to sand it just clogs up the paper immediately.
    There at least used to be a little shop in the old Robertsdale flea market that would sell all sorts of old style hand tools. Haven't been by it in years. The old man likely isn't around no more. I used to stop by and get a few things from him. I need to swing by and see if it's still there one day soon. Last thing I got from there was a handy little push screwdriver. It also accepts little drill bits. Perfect for predrilling trim etc without carrying around a power drill.
    Nice job on the hatchet bud. It looks great!

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Very nice. I wonder if that's a roofing hatchet, or a lathers hatchet? (aka sheetock hatchet.)
    I was watching a video on the history of lathers hatchets and the reason for them. Very interesting stuff. That groove I belive if for pulling nails. Some had a squared off head so that you can drive nails on inside corners better. The hatchet part was for cutting the hundreds of little 1×2 like lathing boards to fit where the studs break. Just a quick whack would cut it to fit and move to the next quickly. They then showed an old sheetrock instruction video and the guy was flying around fast doing it all. Way faster than stopping and using a saw. No one does lathe style plaster anymore tho, at least around here. I'm not sure that most sheetrockers even know why thier hammers have hatchet. Many think it's just for chopping sheetrock to fit lol. The video proved they kept them sharp for cutting sheetorock tho, and didn't use a knife much if ever. Pretty interesting.
    I too am fond of hand tools. I still carry a hand saw with all my tools. I need to also get a set of card scrapers and a card sharpener roller thingy. I refinish cabinets from time to time and I use makeshift scrapers to get thru the sticky gum and furniture polish people use on the doors lol. Trying to sand it just clogs up the paper immediately.
    There at least used to be a little shop in the old Robertsdale flea market that would sell all sorts of old style hand tools. Haven't been by it in years. The old man likely isn't around no more. I used to stop by and get a few things from him. I need to swing by and see if it's still there one day soon. Last thing I got from there was a handy little push screwdriver. It also accepts little drill bits. Perfect for predrilling trim etc without carrying around a power drill.
    I use an old screwdriver for my scrapers, works wonderfully. Roofing hatchets tend to have a smaller axe head and are lighter, but it might be an old lathers hatchet. I've just always known the style as a carpenters hatchet. Can't see it in the photo, but there's some old stamps in the flats and the eye was definitely drifted into place with a slight taper that made fitting it a challenge

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I use an old screwdriver for my scrapers, works wonderfully. Roofing hatchets tend to have a smaller axe head and are lighter, but it might be an old lathers hatchet. I've just always known the style as a carpenters hatchet. Can't see it in the photo, but there's some old stamps in the flats and the eye was definitely drifted into place with a slight taper that made fitting it a challenge
    Now that I look at it again, yeah it's likely not a lather. They typically have like a 2 inch blade, and they have a tapered hammer head... that's also smooth. That way when they hand drive a sheetrock nail they leave a slight small impression after it countersinks them. Then the nails will be recessed for the mud work later. Ironically I have a modern sheetrock hammer in my truck and it for some reason has a wafflehead lol. Not sure what they was thinking there. So yeah I'd say this is definitely either a roofing hatchet or carpenters hatchet as u said.

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    1920's era carpenter hatchet. Finally got off my ass and made a handle for it. Always nice to put a near century old tool back to work! Laminated a few pieces of hard maple together with some titebond 3 (I didn't have any hickory or ash) with a walnut wedge in the top to hold the hatchet head on. Feels great in the hand.
    Nice work. I currently have the exact same ‘carpenters’ hatchet on my workbench. It’s had a bit of customization to it. I think I’m going to use Purpleheart for the handle.

Attachments

• 278F0C84-2735-4382-9CB2-A86674ECFD5A.jpeg
      278F0C84-2735-4382-9CB2-A86674ECFD5A.jpeg
      360.8 KB · Views: 33
    • B21511BA-6AE2-427B-BD4E-2F4E17F940BC.jpeg
      B21511BA-6AE2-427B-BD4E-2F4E17F940BC.jpeg
      325.8 KB · Views: 36

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nice work. I currently have the exact same ‘carpenters’ hatchet on my workbench. It’s had a bit of customization to it. I think I’m going to use Purpleheart for the handle.
    Nice, wish I had some purpleheart to work with. I almost used ipe, but decided I didn't need that kind of abuse.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Hatchet was also used to score sheet rock for arches, rolling sheets, etc. There is a great video where a guy sheetrocks a room with an arched doorway in a minute out there on the web somewhere.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is an old WFS made in Japan drop forged hatchet that I acquired in one of my flea market purchases. The pictures show the before and after. I stacked marcarta for the handle.

Attachments

• 463FE891-D48F-49EB-9B0A-4F0BE4B9686A.jpeg
      463FE891-D48F-49EB-9B0A-4F0BE4B9686A.jpeg
      834.9 KB · Views: 30
    • FE349D00-CBDC-421D-9B0B-BA6902D31993.jpeg
      FE349D00-CBDC-421D-9B0B-BA6902D31993.jpeg
      469.6 KB · Views: 33
    Top Bottom