• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have always thought of myself as a mans man, been all over the world, seen things others have only read about. Never ever EVER got attached to an animal, never understood those that did. Many years ago a full blooded Cocker Spaniel ran by my office door in Texas on a cold rainy winter day, I went outside and brought her in, she was soaking wet and covered in ticks, and shivering from the cold. I gave her my lunch that she wolfed down, then I laid my coat down for her to curl up in and get warm. And I sent a picture to my wife. She begged could we keep her and I said absolutely not, I told her she could take her to the vet then we were getting rid of her. She came back from the vet, cleaned, washed, with bows in her hair, needless to say we kept her. She made big bad Bill sweet William, she stayed with us and I let myself get attached for the first time ever ! We had her many years until she got blind and started running into things and hurting herself and we put her down. It KILLED ME !!!!!! Said I would never ever EVER go thru that again, a few weeks later my sister called and said she knew someone giving a Lab away and did I want him, we went and saw him and brought him home with us. I guess I should have done my research on Labs, his energy DROVE ME CRAZY ! He NEVER STOPPED !!! Always wanted to play. I seriously thought of getting rid of him, but I told myself I made a life long commitment and we kept him and now he is part of the family. Beau is getting on up in age now and I can’t imagine the day when I will have to make that decision, but it’s coming. I think the older you get the more you understand mortality. As the song says “I wished good dogs never got grey and old, I wished farms never got sold, and I wish Grandpas never died” !

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have always thought of myself as a mans man, been all over the world, seen things others have only read about. Never ever EVER got attached to an animal, never understood those that did. Many years ago a full blooded Cocker Spaniel ran by my office door in Texas on a cold rainy winter day, I went outside and brought her in, she was soaking wet and covered in ticks, and shivering from the cold. I gave her my lunch that she wolfed down, then I laid my coat down for her to curl up in and get warm. And I sent a picture to my wife. She begged could we keep her and I said absolutely not, I told her she could take her to the vet then we were getting rid of her. She came back from the vet, cleaned, washed, with bows in her hair, needless to say we kept her. She made big bad Bill sweet William, she stayed with us and I let myself get attached for the first time ever ! We had her many years until she got blind and started running into things and hurting herself and we put her down. It KILLED ME !!!!!! Said I would never ever EVER go thru that again, a few weeks later my sister called and said she knew someone giving a Lab away and did I want him, we went and saw him and brought him home with us. I guess I should have done my research on Labs, his energy DROVE ME CRAZY ! He NEVER STOPPED !!! Always wanted to play. I seriously thought of getting rid of him, but I told myself I made a life long commitment and we kept him and now he is part of the family. Beau is getting on up in age now and I can’t imagine the day when I will have to make that decision, but it’s coming. I think the older you get the more you understand mortality. As the song says “I wished good dogs never got grey and old, I wished farms never got sold, and I wish Grandpas never died” !
    Don't feel bad, you have a pile of company that agrees with you on this post.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

It's just thier life long commitment. They grant you unconditional love regardless of your flaws.

Midnight with Michelle.jpg

Try to become the person that your dog thinks you are. Your Grandchildren shall consider you a better Man. JMHO.

Last edited:

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't feel bad, you have a pile of company that agrees with you on this post.
    FACT Yes Sir... In one 6 month period. I lost my father 86,3 aunts a cousin and an Uncle.

IN the same 6 months....(2014 was a hard year)Also lost 2dogs to OldAge*(15 and 16) and one to a Genetic Problem(11). I had taken my bed apart so the mattress could be on the floor as they slept on my bed since pups and in old age could NOT get up on bed anymore. Even slept with earplugs as My Old Bud SHIVA snored so loud it vibrated the bed.

I cried more about my dogs than my Relations...

And in fact IF I have a beer I Still can't talk about my lil buddies

SHIVA
    1621681992948.png
    used to be all black... wild hog Killing machine... hang time winner, weight pull winner and all around Tip of the Spear BadAzzBuddy

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The older I get the more soft hearted I get. I tear up way more than I did when I was younger.
    My old boy is getting blind and deaf. I really dread the day I have to put him down. He is still healthy and active, just can't see or hear very well.
    IMG_0003[1].JPG

Last edited:

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The older I get the more soft hearted I get. I tear up way more than I did when I was younger.
    My old boy is getting blind and deaf. I really dread the day I have to put him down. He is still healthy and active, just can't see or hear very well. View attachment 119726
    I admit to having a weak spot for those Snaggled tooth Undershot foofoo's.

poppop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    my two are getting pretty old an I fear they don't have a lot of time left. at 64 i've determined they are my last dogs. i don't feel that I will live long enough for a 15year life of another dog.

Attachments

• DD379EDE-9B82-4CE4-B958-2B0735824A49.jpeg
      DD379EDE-9B82-4CE4-B958-2B0735824A49.jpeg
      447.7 KB · Views: 70

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my two are getting pretty old an I fear they don't have a lot of time left. at 64 i've determined they are my last dogs. i don't feel that I will live long enough for a 15year life of another dog.
    I hear you... My,,thought to be last,Shiva passed at 16 yr and I was 60... NO MORE... Lasted 4 yr But Brothers and Mother hounded me to get another. I just missed my old Buddy too much to get one til Momma said she wanted one so I got her Chewy... God Bless him.. Momma's 65lb game bred PitDog is a LapDog extrordanaire
    then
    1621709342455.png

now..
    1621709384852.png

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I got Chewy for Momma.. I instantly regretted... He started out as Thor... Within Hours I renamed him ChewMonster,,aka Chewy. Now 3+ he has slowed down some... I had gotten so used to my Old Dogs... This young guy is quite a handful... but hey... I have lost 25lb in last three years. Thisis a forever home.. so its Training... a bit more.. a bit more... MORE exercise... More exercise.. Dang the better shape he gets in THE MORE HE WANTS... lol...vicious cycle imo... Figure when he passes.. It will break My heart and I will be ready to go also.. 83 ish God Willing. Thank God Chewy will be slowing down as time passes and become even better behaved.

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    whippets or italian greyhounds? and every course game with?

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yes sir... the speed and agility can be breath taking to even watch...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For working guard dogs their death can come sooner from things other than old age. I gladly pay the vet bills. Last one was antibiotics for an infected claw puncture in an eyebrow from a large tomcat that my male finished off. In this case I wish the dogs would allow the invading cats some peace since it was likely hunting rodents that I do not need.
    But it is the office of a guard dog to risk its life in defense of the homestead. They are all very affectionate dogs, the same as for house pet dogs. The one that I have designated as to be the resident house dog found a dead armadillo that the other dogs had killed. She rolled on it with her 95 lbs trying flatten it since it had reached the ideal degree of ripeness for rolling on. She was very unwelcomed in the house and she got kenneled for the day until some of the smell went away.
    And life goes until it does not according to the cycle of life.
    Below my male warrior patrolling the property boundaries.
    What looks like mumps are bulging jaw muscles.

DSCF2085Patch Mumps.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom