• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, this guy lives here. He’s just flexing and puffing out his chest. Same here on the common sense. Hell, I have about 40 acres or more of wetlands behind my house(wish I could buy it) so it is very safe

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I lived in Laurel Hill, outside city limits. It was a "development", but no HOA. Zoning was residential/ rural. No laws against shooting on your own property. My neighbors and I practiced common sense and common courtesy, and there was never a problem. I only ever saw a Sheriff's deputy there when there was a medical emergency.
    Of course I have a backstop

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I agreed with Zeroed in's opinion. Talk to this guy's boss. And promptly ignore anything he says. The only thing he has is in his favor is a badge, as far as I can see.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I disagree with getting the GD sheriff's "permission". It's not their's to give.

You are in compliance with state law. If the LAW ENFORCEMENT deputy makes a "professional promise" (threat) concerning some county statute, then he should be "professional" enough to provide that statute when a Citizen asks for the clarification.

Otherwise, if he steps over the line and illegally arrests you, on paper or otherwise, that's his own whirlwind to reap...

What a GD fool.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I disagree with getting the GD sheriff's "permission". It's not their's to give.

You are in compliance with state law. If the LAW ENFORCEMENT deputy makes a "professional promise" (threat) concerning some county statute, then he should be "professional" enough to provide that statute when a Citizen asks for the clarification.

Otherwise, if he steps over the line and illegally arrests you, on paper or otherwise, that's his own whirlwind to reap...

What a GD fool.

Yeah that deputy needs to eat a dick. Sounds like a piece of shit trying to flex his badge around the neighborhood. OP needs to tell him to get fucked and come back with a warrant. These guys are overstepping their boundaries more and more every day. Gotta put their asses in check.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here’s the county ordinances for Okaloosa:

I’m looking through it, but I did find this:

“ARTICLE II. - FIREARMS[1]

Sec. 15-51. - State preemption of regulations.
    All ordinances, rules, or regulations of Okaloosa County dealing with firearms, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, storage, and transportation thereof are hereby repealed.”

I’m also reading that the noise ordinance doesn’t apply to “authorized target shooting”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That’s all I could find. Of course I follow the noise ordinance and don’t shoot during those times. And usually people aren’t home when I shoot.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you check your area as to it's zoning? Residential or Agriculture, Rural Residential or ??

1 house per acre is (supposedly) the ruling, but maybe if it's rural residential zoned, you can't?

Go talk to Sheriff Ashley and get his opinion of it and possibly his written approval
    saying it's okay to shoot there.
    I
    Here’s the county ordinances for Okaloosa:

I’m looking through it, but I did find this:

“ARTICLE II. - FIREARMS[1]

Sec. 15-51. - State preemption of regulations.
    All ordinances, rules, or regulations of Okaloosa County dealing with firearms, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, storage, and transportation thereof are hereby repealed.”

I’m also reading that the noise ordinance doesn’t apply to “authorized target shooting”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The zoning doesn’t matter. Just says we’re SFR (single family residential). There isn’t any info that says I can/can not in the zoning “rules” thanks for pointing me in that direction

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best answer to provide you less headaches is to hire a attorney and let them do the research . Then get them to write a notarized letter stating you are legal to have a range.

LEO see's notarized paperwork from a practicing attorney they realize you full understand your rights and also realize you won't be pushed around .

If you know what division this officer is assigned to have the attorney send a letter to the patrol captain explaining what the officer has stated to you. I'm very sure he will be going back to school.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I had a Sheriff in my neighborhood tell me I can not have a shooting range due to an ordinance that I am unable to find. State Law says I can due to everyone having more than one acre and shooting in a safe manner. Does anyone know of this ordinance? Apparently, it’s an Okaloosa county ordinance.
    I believe that you had a sheriff deputy and not the Sheriff. I suspect you did not get his name, car number, or badge. Maybe next time request to speak with his sergeant or someone higher up.

There is the one acre rule.
    has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre
    I have 8.5 acres, another neighbor has 4 acres, and another neighbor has 8. But I have 10 people on 1/4 acres lots border me that likely add up to 13 residences/22 acres. So I am not sure since some of the people live on less than an acre

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe that you had a sheriff deputy and not the Sheriff. I suspect you did not get his name, car number, or badge. Maybe next time request to speak with his sergeant or someone higher up.

I have 8.5 acres, another neighbor has 4 acres, and another neighbor has 8. But I have 10 people on 1/4 acres lots border me that likely add up to 13 residences/22 acres. So I am not sure since some of the people live on less than an acre

Best answer to provide you less headaches is to hire a attorney and let them do the research . Then get them to write a notarized letter stating you are legal to have a range.

LEO see's notarized paperwork from a practicing attorney they realize you full understand your rights and also realize you won't be pushed around .

If you know what division this officer is assigned to have the attorney send a letter to the patrol captain explaining what the officer has stated to you. I'm very sure he will be going back to school.
    I’d rather that they fire him. They wouldn’t send him back to school. He’s been on the force a long time.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

More than one acre for everyone here. Yeah he’s a deputy. Lives here in my neighborhood. I had an emergency that required the fire department to respond. He just threw on his badge, gun and “sherif” t-shirt and popped up. After several attempts of him stepping out of his job description and trying to “help” put out the fire, he decided to start his bs over my range

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I had a Sheriff in my neighborhood tell me I can not have a shooting range due to an ordinance that I am unable to find. State Law says I can due to everyone having more than one acre and shooting in a safe manner. Does anyone know of this ordinance? Apparently, it’s an Okaloosa county ordinance.

Ask him for the statute number.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "So, I had a Sheriff in my neighborhood tell me I can not have a shooting range due to an ordinance that I am unable to find."

Hmmmm. Just shows up? In Duty uniform? Arrive by patrol vehicle? Not responding to a call or complaint? Is he actuall working under "Color of Law" authority? He states there's violation of Law (unspecified) and further threatens "paper arrest" (Citation/ticket, Lol) that's supposed to sound scary and intimidate or he just would have said ticket. Seems like power hungry Barney Fife is trying to throw his weight around on your Range and at the HOA Meeting.

FWIW: An officer like that can cause problems down the road and make every molehill into a mountain of problems for you. I'd recommend you talk to him again (non confrontational) bringing your documentation and ask for His specific reference that he interpets as superseding Law. Now you've tried to resolve it at the lowest level and unless his ego is bruised, you shouldn't have to worry about being "tagged" any more than other citizens. If he pushes his opinion, then you should take it up to his Chain of Command, Code enforcement, prosecutors office and your lawyer.

HOAs are dangerous. Little groups with power over your Rights and Property. Deputy can raise the Range issue there with whatever B.S. and legal inaccuracies he wants to use in an effort to shut down all ranges within the HOAs authority. We've all read horror stories over putting up a Flag, so a Range is low hanging fruit when Barney starts spitting out stray bullets, ricochets, property damage and " if it just saves one child: its worth it" It would probably be to your benifit to go to HOA Meetings and monitor issues incase this pops up.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Sounds like the guy has issues with the deputy or the deputy has it out for him. Guns, HOA, neighbors......walk softly. Could get ugly.
    Was he responding to a call or complaint in uniform or did he just come over being Johnny law and tell you what he was going to do while on his personal time?

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like the guy has issues with the deputy or the deputy has it out for him. Guns, HOA, neighbors......walk softly. Could get ugly.
    Was he responding to a call or complaint in uniform or did he just come over being Johnny law and tell you what he was going to do while on his personal time?
    He does this to everyone. He was not responding he just thought, “ hey! Fire trucks!”” I must show up on my off time and be an ass!”

Top Bottom