• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Found a rifle at a customers house today..it was a magazine fed nylon66...after doing some googleing, found out its a nylon 77 I guess?? Any idea if that's correct?
    aqa3e5eq.jpg

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mohawk or Apache? Gander had one for $450

Product Description
    remington Built in conjunction with Remington's then parent company, DuPont, the Nylon line of rifles were the first successful synthetic stocked firearms on the market. The rifle's forend, receiver and stock are made entirely of two pieces of DuPont-produced nylon 6-6 (also known as Zytel), first cemented together and then bonded under high heat and pressure to form one piece. The result is a sleek stock with very slender and attractive lines, a fluted comb, a long and graceful forearm with a black plastic Schnabel tip, and a curved pistol grip with a black cap. With the majority of the rifle's internal parts made of synthetic materials as well, the Nylon 77 can operate without any added lubricants, making it especially popular in arctic regions. In addition, Remington's Nylon stocks were found to weigh much less than traditional wooden stocks, while retaining enough accuracy for most varmint-hunting and plinking tasks. A slip-over blued steel cover gives the receiver a more normal appearance and also conceals a pair of stock reinforcing machine screws and nuts. The Nylon 77 also updated the Nylon 66 design by adding a detachable box magazine that gives the rifle a 10-round capacity. This auto-loading rifle features an an adjustable rear sight and a tang-mounted safety. Its stock, metal, and bore are all in good condition.

A magazine/clip fed semi-auto called the Nylon 77 was made from 1970-1972. It had a 5 shot mag though a 10 shot clip was available in later production. It was re-named the “Mohawk 10C” in 1972. Apparently Remington thought it better to rename the rifle than try to re-market it with the 10 shot clip. The 10C represented the 10 shot “clip” which was brought out to compete with rifles like the Ruger 10/22. Both the 77 and 10C were made with brown stocks and blued metal. About 15,000 Nylon 77s were made in its 3 years of production while 128,000 10Cs were made from 1972-1978. The 10C is marked “Mohawk 10C” on the grip cap. The 77 is marked “Nylon 77″ on its grip cap.

Remington made a version of the nylon rifles for K-Mart in 1987-89. These rifles were the same as the Nylon 77 and 10C but had a green stock and black matte receiver and barrel. It was called the Apache 77 and is marked as such on the grip cap. The Apache 77 is truly a low-key rifle in that it is sans the white diamond and white fore/butt/pistol grip cap spacers found on other nylon rifles. It came with a cheap 19mm scope. The magazines for the original 77, 10C and Apache 77 are inner changeable. It is believed that around 54,000 of these rifles were produced though serial numbers vary by more than 100,000 number.

Dating the rifles:
    Remington puts a 2-letter code on the barrels of all of its rifles. This code indicates the month and year of production. Additional information and letter codes are found in the article Manufacturer Date Codes on this site.

Serial Numbers:

Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 rifles were not required to have serial numbers on them. Remington started numbering Nylon rifles in 1967 starting with #40000-419011. In 1968 the numbers ranged from 419012-473710. The serial numbers were located on the bottom of the barrel, below and just back a bit from the front sight. In December of 1968 serial numbers were moved to the receiver cover and re-started at 2100000 and went to 2599999 in January of 1977. In February 1977 an “A” was added and the range was restarted at A2100000. These serial number series pertain to all Nylon rifles, not just Nylon 66s.

Quick serial number guide:
    No serial number, pre 1967 rifles
    Serial number range 400-419K 1967 rifle
    Serial number range 419-473K 1968 rifle
    Serial number range 2.1 million-2.59 million December 1968- January 1977 rifle
    Serial number range with an “A” prefix-post Feb 1977 rifle.

Last edited:

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was a newer 77 I think...looks like 250$ average....I was gunna try and get it but nah. I like the 66's

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I had a Nylon 77 that I bought about 5 years ago. They aren't nearly as popular as the 66.
    They are ok guns if you can get it reasonable. Most people don't like the mag hanging down.
    I sold mine at a gun show for around $250 I believe. I know the guy thought he was going to flip it for a big profit but I had already tried that and nobody wanted to pay over $200 for it. I saw it on here for sale for a while but I don't believe it ever sold.
    A bit of trivia - Remington made a few Nylons in smooth bore for shooting ratshot. Not sure which model.
    They are worth huge money. I saw one go on G.B. a few years ago for $3,500.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom