• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbk1198

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey all...not sure why I waited this long to find a forum like this, but better late than never. Moved here from VA about 2.5 years ago and VA has a great forum for all gun talk and sales related topics. Figured it's about time to find something similar here in FL and this place seems to be just that.

Looking at getting back into long range shooting in the near future, unfortunately I haven't found any good options here in central FL. If anyone knows of any good options, let me know. Ares is the best I found, but they're still developing their range and they seem to be pretty slow with it. Their long range is not very well setup yet.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    greetings and salutations.. So how long a range are you looking for and abouts where in central Fl do you live??

sbk1198

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    greetings and salutations.. So how long a range are you looking for and abouts where in central Fl do you live??

Ideally up to about 1000 yards would be good for now. I’m in DeLand, about 30-40 miles north of Orlando. When I lived in VA I had to drive 2 hours and 15 minutes each way to go to a pretty awesome range so I don’t mind driving a bit for something good.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Up abouts where you live is the Volusia Country Gun Club. They have a 900 yard range, I have never been at it but talking to a guy he liked it. I know they have a bit of higher range fees then alot of ranges. But on certain days of the week the place is open to the public so you can buy like a day pass and try it out. (That's always nice to try something out before having to join)..

Another one is Ares Training Facility down in the Leesburg area, I think they have one just over 800 yards. A bit of a drive for you.

Hey after you check them out let me know what you think.

sbk1198

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Up abouts where you live is the Volusia Country Gun Club. They have a 900 yard range, I have never been at it but talking to a guy he liked it. I know they have a bit of higher range fees then alot of ranges. But on certain days of the week the place is open to the public so you can buy like a day pass and try it out. (That's always nice to try something out before having to join)..

Another one is Ares Training Facility down in the Leesburg area, I think they have one just over 800 yards. A bit of a drive for you.

Hey after you check them out let me know what you think.

Those are the 2 I've been two as soon as I moved here. VCGC was quite disappointing. I couldn't even shoot when I went there because they only take cash, but I did get a full tour of the place with one of the staff members. Weird setup with ranges pointing in all sorts of directions because they're separated by berms. Not a bad place for shooting pistols or short range in general. But the membership is fairly expensive and for long range you have to pay extra, which I don't remember exactly how much, but I remember it being pretty expensive. And on top of that you have to call ahead and basically make an appointment because they only let like one or two at a time on the long range and only on certain days. The whole thing was just very inconvenient and expensive especially for the low quality of the range overall.

Ares has potential but they're not there yet. When I went there first time, they told me about all the plans they have to build a building so they don't have to have the "office" outside under a canopy, and also work on building a shotgun range. They also said they were going to improve the long range because at the time it was just a platform (like 8'x10' or something like that and it's about 6 feet above the ground so you have to climb up a ladder to get there...with all your heavy guns and gear...again, not very convenient). Fast forward about a year later I decided to go again and see the progress they had made, only to see that none of that had been done. Still no building, still no shotgun range, and no changes to the long range besides adding another steel target or two. Their main range is 400 yards which is pretty cool, but they just have high top benches there, so you can't get on the ground to shoot from prone position, nor sitting in a chair because it's too high.

Sorry if this comes across as being picky. Maybe I just got spoiled by Frontline Defense in NC where I used to shoot before and that is a top notch facility. Best outdoor range I've ever seen by far.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those are the 2 I've been two as soon as I moved here. VCGC was quite disappointing. I couldn't even shoot when I went there because they only take cash, but I did get a full tour of the place with one of the staff members. Weird setup with ranges pointing in all sorts of directions because they're separated by berms. Not a bad place for shooting pistols or short range in general. But the membership is fairly expensive and for long range you have to pay extra, which I don't remember exactly how much, but I remember it being pretty expensive. And on top of that you have to call ahead and basically make an appointment because they only let like one or two at a time on the long range and only on certain days. The whole thing was just very inconvenient and expensive especially for the low quality of the range overall.

Ares has potential but they're not there yet. When I went there first time, they told me about all the plans they have to build a building so they don't have to have the "office" outside under a canopy, and also work on building a shotgun range. They also said they were going to improve the long range because at the time it was just a platform (like 8'x10' or something like that and it's about 6 feet above the ground so you have to climb up a ladder to get there...with all your heavy guns and gear...again, not very convenient). Fast forward about a year later I decided to go again and see the progress they had made, only to see that none of that had been done. Still no building, still no shotgun range, and no changes to the long range besides adding another steel target or two. Their main range is 400 yards which is pretty cool, but they just have high top benches there, so you can't get on the ground to shoot from prone position, nor sitting in a chair because it's too high.

Sorry if this comes across as being picky. Maybe I just got spoiled by Frontline Defense in NC where I used to shoot before and that is a top notch facility. Best outdoor range I've ever seen by far.
    Hells bells you do not sound picky. When you are picking a range, especially those high tone ranges. You make sure you look them over and pick the one that works BEST for you. And you are right the prices at VCGC is rather expensive. When was the last time you were out at ARES?? They have been doing all kind of changes out there.

By the way if you like more older guns they at the Volusia Fairgrounds they are having a show this upcoming weekend. There are some newer arms there also. Pretty nice little show.

Last edited:

sbk1198

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hells bells you do not sound picky. When you are picking a range, especially those high tone ranges. You make sure you look them over and pick the one works BEST for you. And you are right they prices at VCGC is rather expensive. When was the last time you were out at ARES?? They have been doing all kind of changes out there.

By the way if you like more older guns they at the Volusia Fairgrounds they are having a show this upcoming weekend. There are some newer arms there also. Pretty nice little show.

I may have to go to Ares again and see what changes they’ve made. It’s been a while since last time. Don’t remember when I was there last but I think it’s been about a year roughly. Did they build a building and the shotgun range yet?

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not know, I looked at them several years ago. But their web sight shows alot of changes. And they are alittle more costly then I need. Check out their sight.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom