• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been tinking about changing the wood on my WASR 10, and not sure if I want to just replace the wood with wood, or go sythetic. Where can I look for new parts, and what suggestions do es anyone have? O*D*W

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    go wood!

ironwooddesigns.com (new)
    apexgunparts.com (surplus)

I really like mine setup with refinished surplus wood and hogue pistol grip. I got the surplus wood from apexgunparts.com and refinished it to match the bayonet I also got from apex.

before

after

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    btw, I still have the black synthetic if you are interested in it, although I have to admit its pretty cheap looking/feeling. I like the plum color original synthetics some of the ak74's are coming in right now

OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the new wood on it. That looks sharp. I will check out the websites you mentioned. I appreciate you offering the sythetic, but if it feels cheap, I will pass. I want to keep the same feel it has now. The wood on mine is just a little worn and looks old. You have some beautiful pieces in those pics. The plum does look nice. Are the two in the bottom pic with synthetics?

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the two bottom ones arent mine, just the wood one. I took those from the net to show you the synthetics that I prefer.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if yours is wood, and you like the wood, why not just refinish? also, check out Tapco's wood line for the AK, some nice pieces there as well

OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if yours is wood, and you like the wood, why not just refinish? also, check out Tapco's wood line for the AK, some nice pieces there as well

Any recommendations on who could refinish it for me? I think that would be a better option versus replacing what I have.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you can do it yourself. Its rather easy. Some time with some sandpaper, stain, and some boiled linseed oil/tung oil/birchwood caseys refinish kit, many options. I did my own in an afternoon.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    go wood!

ironwooddesigns.com (new)
    apexgunparts.com (surplus)

I really like mine setup with refinished surplus wood and hogue pistol grip. I got the surplus wood from apexgunparts.com and refinished it to match the bayonet I also got from apex.

before

after

Nice. Ive got that same thing, the slab sided plastic. Not liking it. Can you tell me what products and technique you used to refinish the wood ones? That would be great.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will try to remember step by step.

First was disassembly. The wooden portion of the top handguard cover wasnt too difficult once removed but you have to twist it out of its metal keepers to get it apart.
    Once I had it disassembled, I used brake clean to remove the shellac and most of the finish from the wood. Then I went through the appropriate sanding grits to get the wood to a nice smooth finish and then kinda "polished" it with 000 steel wool. At this point I started applying the finish. I chose a minwax finish that I liked and went with it, I think this one was a brown cherry or something like that. I did 2 finish coats. You may want more/less depending on the color you desire. In between coats I did a light "sanding" with the 000 steel wool to knock down the feathers that came up when the wood got wet. After the finish is as you wish, I topped it off with boiled linseed oil. General rule with BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) is 1 coat a day for 1 week. After that, 1 coat a week for 1 month. After that, 1 coat a month for 1 year. After that, one coat a year.

*use an old t-shirt to apply the BLO. But dont leave the old t-shirt just laying around after. BLO can combust on its own (theres a term for that) and start a fire. I left the t-shirt in the middle of the driveway when I was done.

Always sand in the direction of the grain
    Apply the finish in a uniform manner wiping with the direction of the grain

Top Bottom