• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I might have to do that. Ill let you know. The one I found has the colorful wood stock with the rail on top ill post pictures tommorow

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    So,lemme get this straight......the rep told you that the gun has a 16(or so)inches of smooth bore, then at the end, a screw on choke that spins the 45LC bullet as it comes out ?? The 45LC bullet is going at ????fps down the bbl .... then it engraves into the rifling of the screw on .....whatever...??
    And this is accurate ?? I have seen this before/this has been tried before....with shotguns firing slugs. This is why, if you want a accurate shotgun to shoot slugs through nowadays, you buy one with a fully rifled bbl.

I have never tried this gun as far as accuracy or velocity....HOWEVER....my opinion is......gotta see it to believe it. ALSO....make sure to find out(from the factory rep.)what pressures the gun will take. If they suggest you use "cowboy action" loads only that will limit your usage somewhat.

IMO......bottom line is...you CANNOT have a shotgun and a rifle/pistol in ONE GUN..that operates as both should operate. In the shotgun "mode" the rifle/pistol is crap...OR ...in the rifle/pistol "mode" the shotgun is crap.

HOWEVER.......at this point in my life,I am still in the learning mode.

Stagman, with the heavy recoil of the big boomers you have to adjust your shooting techniques somewhat. You basically can't lean into them. You have to allow your body to move with the recoil so that you absorb it over a "longer" duration of time. Also, the Limbsaver helps somewhat and a P.A.S.T. is great at spreading the recoil impulse over a bigger area. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Scrooge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Sawman, I feel the same way. I asked the rep to repeat himself... would buy one with a rifled barrel but the "screw on choke tube" on a smooth bore for .45 seems ridiculous to me!
    I think Rossi makes a lever action .45LC - will check that out next. Would still prefer the ss Handi-Rifle. Will continue my quest for a rifle chambered for .45LC.
    Thanks again my friend!
    my Bond Arms snake slayer 4 does actually handle both very well... of course it is designed for close range, 10 - 15 ft...

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well just went and picked mine up today got a .243 went for $230 otd with a box of 20 rds not bad??? Thanks a lot Sawman I'm already looking forward to getting my next one.... Do they make 50 BMG?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yep,that's some great wood there. It is the same thing that I had on my Ultra Something(?) chambered in 22-250 some 20 years ago.
    No 50BMG.....HOWEVER.....buy one in 45-70 and have it punched out to 45-90 Express. Actually.you can do it yourself in about 10 minutes. Your talkin' pretty close to the power of a 458Win Mag. OUCH !! --- SAWMAN

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crazy I read a little about the barrel program. Does it mean that you can send your rifle in and get another barrel fitted and then you can interchange them or are the barrels permanently attached?

Also I mine the barrel is fairly short what power scope would you recommend for the .243?

oh and I like this finish on this one I cant find em like this on gunbroker...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IF the program is still in place.......you could send in your frame and they would fit a new bbl to it, or you could(IIRC)send them a bbl from another frame to be fitted to your frame. I believe that your frame was a must because they tweaked the bbl and not the frame. ALSO...the bbl that they would fit and sell you was super cheap as I remember.

I have talked to a bunch of people that simply put another bbl on their frame without any minor fitting at all. I have a couple of friends that have a frame(SB-2)and 4-6 bbls that fit that frame. Some of the newer bbls will fit pretty closely. I am not sure what the NEF guys do to the bbl to insure a "proper" fit. Probably alter the locking lug somewhat.

I do not believe that the bbl is as short as it looks. Remember these guns have no action to speak of. I would be surprised if your bbl is shorter than 24 inches. I would think that a 3-9X40 would do this gun "justice". Remember,you have to use a high enough set of rings so that the scopes eyepiece will clear the hammer. You might want to get a hammer extension also. On my 500S&W I cut down the hammer because I wanted to mount the scope as low as possible(inertia). I also lapped the scope base to fit the top of the bbl. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmm interesting I looked on the sight looks like they have fully rifled 10g bbl.... Ill have to look into that more
    That's a good idea with cutting the hammer down did you just use a dremel?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah..chopped it with a Dremmel,rounded the top and smoothed the sharp corners,buffed with some polishing compound on a small felt wheel,then re-blued with a cold blue "pen".

Then drilled a hole for the hammer extension for the set screw to fit into. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hmmm well I guess ill mount a scope and shoot it a few times before I start choppin on it.. there has to be more ppl here that own these!!

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i have been watching this thread since it was started.
    because of my schedule, I can't reply as I should .... so
    best thing for all you handi answer seekers and even some of you that know a lot.... check this site out for all your h&r/nef needs and information.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

just tell'um "tha doc" sent ya !!!! :rockon:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Gray Beard Outdoors......I have been a member there since Aug 2010. I only have 109 posts though.

This sight is absolutely full of all kinds of good info re. the single shots. I have learned allot from the guys over there re. my NEF's and T/C's. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gray Beard Outfitters......I have been a member there since Aug 2010. I only have 109 posts though.

This sight is absolutely full of all kinds of good info re. the single shots. I have learned allot from the guys over there re. my NEF's and T/C's. --- SAWMAN

then you should know me.....same name and same bat-channel.....3848 posts....316 trade count of 100%.... all about handi's
    a true, but respected...handiholic !!! :peace:

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Also.......just wanted to share an idea as to how to carry your ammo when your carrying a single shot. This is how I have found it the easiest to go about a quick(although never needed,even when hog hunting)reload.

I buy the heavy duty nylon ammo carriers,cut them in half,and melt the edges closed with a BIC. I punch two holes in the "top",and run a piece of cord thru, to go around my neck. I carry the ammo(.45-70 pictured)with the bullet facing upwards. This way I can quickly push the rd downwards and out the bottom. I also tweak all my NEF's so that when the action latch is depressed,the bbl will fall down(all the way down)on its own. 'Bout the time the bbl gets down,I have a reload in my hand,ready for the insert into the chamber/bbl.

I have practiced this and can accomplish it as fast as using a bolt gun or lever gun. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00959.jpg
      DSC00959.jpg
      190.3 KB · Views: 173

Scrooge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also.......just wanted to share an idea as to how to carry your ammo when your carrying a single shot. This is how I have found it the easiest to go about a quick(although never needed,even when hog hunting)reload.

I buy the heavy duty nylon ammo carriers,cut them in half,and melt the edges closed with a BIC. I punch two holes in the "top",and run a piece of cord thru, to go around my neck. I carry the ammo(.45-70 pictured)with the bullet facing upwards. This way I can quickly push the rd downwards and out the bottom. I also tweak all my NEF's so that when the action latch is depressed,the bbl will fall down(all the way down)on its own. 'Bout the time the bbl gets down,I have a reload in my hand,ready for the insert into the chamber/bbl.

I have practiced this and can accomplish it as fast as using a bolt gun or lever gun. --- SAWMAN

Thanks for a great idea Sawman! I'll whip up one of these for my .45's!
    2ndAmendment Shooting just ordered a .45 H&R ss for me. They are outstanding! Aaron saw my request on the forum, gave me a call and got what I wanted on the way!
    I would like to know your barrel tweaking trick! I also have a couple NEF .410's and would love to get the barrels dropping open like you've mentioned...
    Also, a huge shout out for 2A Shooting!!! I WILL place future orders with them!!!

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    that is a pretty cool idea Im thinking about getting one of those I can put on my belt (right side) I shoot lefty.. that is one reason these little rifles caught my eye alot of calibers you see in bolt guns.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not near as many different chamberings as you see in the bolt guns.....HOWEVER.....what I really like about the NEF's is....chamberings that you do not see in the bolt guns. Just off the top of my head there are,or you can quite easily make(please add to my list):

1. 45LC/454Casull/460S&W Mag
    2. 45-70 Gov't/45-90 Expres/45-120(?)
    3. 44spec/44mag/445 Super Mag(Ruger has a bolt gun in spec/mag)
    4. 38Spec/357mag/357Max(Ruger has a bolt gun in spec/mag)
    5. 30-30Win/30-30AI(Savage 340)
    6. 500S&W Mag
    7. most all shotgun rds of ANY length

As with any single shot tilt bbl gun(Rossi,T/C,NEF)a rechamber is super easy. You can take the bbl off and hand it to a gunsmith. He removes the extractor and/or the ejector and the rechamber is super easy. In most cases you can use the same extractor/ejector. There are tons of re-chamberings you can even do yourself with the proper reamer. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom