• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I have a few, is it just me? I'll store mine covered in oil, in a gun sock, inside a vapor barrier bag. Seems like every time I get one out of the safe I have to scrub it with 0000 steel wool and even scrape them with pennies. I've ruined the color case hardening on my muzzle loader. I'm about ready to cerekote all of them.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I have a few, is it just me? I'll store mine covered in oil, in a gun sock, inside a vapor barrier bag. Seems like every time I get one out of the safe I have to scrub it with 0000 steel wool and even scrape them with pennies. I've ruined the color case hardening on my muzzle loader. I'm about ready to cerekote all of them.
    Don't clean anything with the same cleaning kit you use for black powder or old corrosive ammunition. You probably wiped them all down with same rag or something.

I've had a few NEF and never had a problem with rust.

Might be worth paying a gunsmith to dip them all in a solvent bath and wash with pressurized solvent, and then put them through a sonic cleaner, and then immediately soak in a CLP overnight. This will let the metal become a reservoir of oil. Can't do that with Remoil. Remoil has Teflon and it clogs the metal pores and prevents the metal from becoming a reservoir of oil

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Is it possible that the addition of a "vapor barrier bag" is trapping moisture inside the gun sock? If there is moister it has no place to go. The socks to my understanding are silicone treated but need to breath a little.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Is it possible that the addition of a "vapor barrier bag" is trapping moisture inside the gun sock? If there is moister it has no place to go. The socks to my understanding are silicone treated but need to breath a little.
    I've been using these, but not too impressed with their claim
    How to Use VCI Firearm Protection Bags

Place your clean, cooled weapon into a bag and close it. An odorless, colorless vapor will then release into the air around your firearm, protecting it from rust for up to five (5) years.

They're magic! IDK, maybe ditch the silicone socks, at least I'd be able to check them without having to open it all up?

Top Bottom