• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I figure we've got some home improvement guru types around here, so I have a question.
    We have laminate flooring in the dining room and within the last 3 days we've had water damage to several of the boards. The water is beneath the boards and has warped them. There are no pipes under that part of the floor and there haven't been any leaks from the kitchen right next to the area. I have no idea where the water is coming from! we put the flooring down five years ago, when we moved in and this just began. The house was built in 2003. It couldn't be foundation sweating or something evil like that could it? Even if the foundation cracked,would water seep up from the ground?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Concrete slab floor?
    Near an outside wall?
    Are you absolutely damn sure for positive there isn't a small leak from the sink area?
    AC air handler in the attic?

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The first thing I'd do is see if you have a plumbing leak. Mark your meter and don't run any water for about 15 minutes (could be a slow leak). If the needle moves, the hunt is on. If you do have a leak, the wet area could be a low spot in the slab and water is passing beneath the underpayment and settling in that spot. Start looking for signs of leaks low and work your way up. I had a bad boot on a roof vent that showed up on the first floor of a 2 story house.

If no water leak is evident, then I'd pull the boards and look for the hydrostatic scenario you referred too. Although you may have to pull boards regardless, to dry out the area. Run fans and dehumidifiers.

And as mentioned above, check your a/C.
    Water intrusion is a bitch. Good luck with your dilemma.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What's on the opposite side of the nearest wall? Maybe there are pipes in the wall for laundry, bath, or other purposes?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm guessing here but I think JohnAL nailed it. My first suspicion would be an AC condensation line.

Where is it exactly in the house Hoss, I know your floorplan.

Another consideration: Are you positive it's water? I know the Duffer is an exceptional dog but could he be peeing there for some reason? Happened to me when Jack suddenly decided he had to do something about one of the bar stools in the bar. I can only think there was something there like a smell, maybe someone spilled something first? He kept nailing that one chair leg and I didn't catch it for a while.

Django is right too. Water could travel, showing no evidence until it settles in a low spot.

Last edited:

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We've had a helluva day. The water line coming down the wall from the attic to the ice maker in the fridge had a 1/4 inch slit in it near the top. Water was dripping down the line inside the wall, running under the kitchen tile and pooling up under the laminate in the dining room. Tile will be fine. Ripped up all the laminate and will be figuring out how to lay engineered hardwood at some point in the near future. My neighbor, a "can do everything guy" like Sean, came over and tracked the leak down. Ripped out the drywall behind the fridge and all the insulation, repaired the line and called his brother in law who brought over two more dehumidifiers and some fans to dry it all out. It's drying pretty well, but the wife is in a tizzy. I'm thinking I may be able to use the leftover laminate to do my shop floor though. That'd be pretty cool.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 147
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 142
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      78.3 KB · Views: 142

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the plumber AND the elctrician that did this house were on crack. I've replaced most pf the PEX stuff. It's been in there since 2003, when the house was built and I'm guessing it either was a bad batch or sat on the truck in the Alabama sunshine for a good long time. Last time we had a leak, we'd repair a spot and then another crack would open up.
    As for mold, I think I'm ok. The insulation is treated to repell or kill it, the wood is drying out and the laminate is gone. Three dehumidifiers and three fans running and the water stain on the wood is drying out nicely. Pulled off the footboard from the cabinet near there and there was just a little water. I just emptied the dehumidifers for the night and I'm guessing they pulled 2-3 gallons out of the air and the wood.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That chipped particle board looking sheeting surfacing your exterior (I think) wall. The bonding agents used at the factory to make that stuff doesn't like water.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oriented Strand Board. Commonly used for wall sheathing.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Once OSB gets wet then it needs to be replaced because it's just a matter of time until it comes apart

Cootcommander

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That pex wasn't secured to anything?? If not, I can just about guarantee that's why you keep developing cracks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The OSB was only damp on the surface, not soaked through. I'd have to take the exterior brick wall off to replace it. All the insulation was removed. No dampness at all up in there now, but I'll be running the fans and dehumidifiers all night again tonight just to make sure. The pex was secured but loose up near the top where it cracked. The previous pex leaks in the attic cracked under the straps where they were attached to the beams. Have to go to the flooring store tomorrow to get an estimate on the loss of the dining room floor for the insurance company. Laurie wants to take the money and add money I haven't made yet to upgrade it to engineered hardwood. It's a sure bet that I will die broke! Before I got married, I only owed money on my new furniture and my new Jeep and had $10,000 in the bank plus my 401k... Now, I have no clue what's in the bank but it's ok cause it's all going out for bills.

Top Bottom