• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tiger1050

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys just wondering if anyone has input on this or if you have seen this in the past. I bought a used model 19-3 smith, 357, beautiful gun, very little wear on the gun didn't seem to be used much at all not even a lot of holster rub on it. The problem is when I shoot full factory 357 mags in it the cylinder will jam in place after the 2nd or 3rd shot. If I shoot 38 +P or even 38+P+ in it everything is fine. Anyone ?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you tell what is jamming it? Primers backing out, slugs creeping out the front on unfired rounds, or internal mechanical issues?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Could possibly be inertia pulling the remaining bullets. For the cylinder to lock up, it could definately be a timeing issue. --- SAWMAN

tiger1050

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think its primers, I have not noticed any backing out nor the bullet heads coming out of the case. It seems to be a timing issue or something but I have taken the gun apart and don't see anything obvious
    can you guys recommend anyone local that could look at it and help me with this. I know I have heard certain models of Smith's don't handle full loads well but I thought the 19 was a larger frame stout revolver that's one of the reasons I picked it up. I shoot the same loads in my 686 with no issues at all.

Duelist

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The model 19 is a K frame, the 686 is a larger L frame. I have had several 19s and none of them liked a steady diet of .357.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've got a couple of model 19's they all shoot .357 fine, my money would be on a timing issue. I have had two smiths out of time and both cylinders would lock up sometimes... Not every time, sometimes.

Ranger19

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had this problem back in 66. Somehow the crane was bent. You can determine this by using a feeler gage and check the gap on the barrel and each chamber.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do you mean by "jam up"?

To check the timing on a S&W, Slowly cock the SA hammer. The cylinder stop should drop and clear the first 1/4 of travel ( of the hammer). Rotation then begins. At about 1/2 cock, the stop pops back up against the cylinder. Cylinder continues to rotate until stop drops in at about 3/4 cock. Hammer continues back to lock.

when shooting .38 in a .357, lead builds up at the throat of the cylinder, so that when you shoot .357, it acts as a crimper on the shoulder. Cylinder needs to be reamed with a deleading reamer.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 19 should eat all the .357 you would want to feed it. Everything breaks sooner or later. Some leave the factory broken.
    Many years ago my wife bought me a new Model 19 in the velvet lined display box. It was locked up from the factory. It would not cock, could not pull the trigger, could not open the cylinder. Back then stores took faulty products back for refund.

tiger1050

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to try and clean the cylinder and see if that helps. It does seem to be build up of lead that causes the gun to lock up, it gets lodged between the cylinder and barrel. I will let you guys know how it comes out.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Clean under the star. Maybe when firing .357's a spec of powder is getting under the cylinder star...that tiny spec can tie up a cylinder for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom