APOD Firearms

Need help with purchasing a AR for deer hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alright gents help a old man out here, Im Un edgea macated in the area of Black Guns,,,, Will the 308 upper work on a 5.56 lower? I have a trade pending on a AR, But its 5.56 223,, Can I swithch parts to have both great rifles in one with the 223 lower? Or should I be thinking AR 10 lower an swithch uppers when needed to 5.56 cal. Or is this even something to think on?? Alot of sportsmen are using the AR platform hunting now days, An I dont get to have both worlds unless I plan way ahead. Thank smuch olecarver

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any Walmart has the DPMS for less than $600. I see absolutely no reason why these would not be a fine weapon, if you're in the AR market. Buds had Bushmasters w/ a red dot for $647 shipped last week, ya might wanna try them out too.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alright gents help a old man out here, Im Un edgea macated in the area of Black Guns,,,, Will the 308 upper work on a 5.56 lower? I have a trade pending on a AR, But its 5.56 223,, Can I swithch parts to have both great rifles in one with the 223 lower? Or should I be thinking AR 10 lower an swithch uppers when needed to 5.56 cal. Or is this even something to think on?? Alot of sportsmen are using the AR platform hunting now days, An I dont get to have both worlds unless I plan way ahead. Thank smuch olecarver

Frank T will probably chirp in here, I am not an AR guy, but I believe the uppers can be swamped out easily.

I found this, I guess I was on track...

http://www.fulton-armory.com/far-308-titan.aspx

Sniperpeeps

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

The AR-10 and AR-15 uppers and lowers are not interchangeable, the AR-10 is much bigger than the AR-15.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the ar-10 and ar-15 uppers and lowers are not interchangeable, the ar-10 is much bigger than the ar-15.

sniperpeeps nailed it, ar-15 lowers are compatible with 5.56/.223,300aac,6.8,and a few others,most(if not all of the 8mm casings are for the larger ar-10 platform.do not buy that dpms sportical crap from walmart when you can build a quality one for less when you put it togeather yourself(no disrespect clayjunkie).it is not hard at all and with the sales running now ,can easily been done for less then the aformentioned price,and you can pick exactly what you want.feel free to contact me if you need more info or to look at some a/r's...matt

oh i just sorry about the caps..

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My preference is the 6.8, little recoil, reasonable ammo cost...going to get even better w tula and federal getting in the game...80% of the killing power of a .308. A 16" barrel is optimal on the 6.8, it was built for that, you can free float or not, a Stag complete upper is $474, same lowers for a .223 to 50 BeoWulf, so get a great lower, good trigger and pin the upper of your choice on it, Poly Lower complete $106, or metal $300

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I had no idea they were so reasonably priced, for $600 I can be into a 6.8, no brainer.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Frank, I think I'm gonna dump my Browning ABolt and pick one of these up. I like poly, metal is a generation or two ago! Lol...my brother gave me shit for buying another poly gun ( Beretta px4) and wanted me to buy metal, I was like ' why the hell would I buy something that isn't as strong and rusts'....duh??

tyler0421

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes Sir, now that is with a poly lower, the New frontier one, i like them the best and has about a 5lb trigger, better than a mil spec standard one. If you need the sites I can list them. the Stag upper are complete Bolt carrier group included, pin'em on and fire!

Lower
    http://www.riflegear.com/

http://www.JoeBobOutfitters.com/

Upper:
    http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/STAG5H.aspx

http://www.ar15sales.com/store/page2.html

Thanks frank, I actually ordered that lower from joebobs the other day and now just need an upper. Not a big fan of the fore arm on that stag upper. I hate those types of fore arms. I like the ones with the rails. I still haven't figured out what upper I want yet.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Clay remember the New Frontier lower will accept most trigger kits, it is a commercial tube if you order another butt stock for it. They also have a torture test video. Nothing at all wrong with them so give it a shot. Good Luck!

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Clay remember the New Frontier lower will accept most trigger kits, it is a commercial tube if you order another butt stock for it. They also have a torture test video. Nothing at all wrong with them so give it a shot. Good Luck!
    They actually come with a better trigger pull than 90% of other LPK's I have bought.

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As most shooting 6.8 Spc, they work great! I have put hogs and Big Oklahoma deer down out to 200+ yrds with mine. Ruger, Barrett and DPMS have done all my damage on hooved animals now for 3yrs. Ammo was i have settled on the 110 gr SSA serria pro-hunter ammo, which you can get for around 17-18 a box, and you can reload for around 9 a box. Good luck with your decision. Chaos

OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, so I dont know anything about ARs at all. I hear how you can change uppers and lowers, etc. My question is, how do I know the two are compatible if buying to build my own? Also, is that all I need is an upper and a lower and the two just snap together and is ready to fire? Again, I hear people saying how easy it is and cheaper than buying one pre-built. I just would think there is more to it. Any help? O*D*W

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks frank, I actually ordered that lower from joebobs the other day and now just need an upper. Not a big fan of the fore arm on that stag upper. I hate those types of fore arms. I like the ones with the rails. I still haven't figured out what upper I want yet.

I changed mine to a free floating Troy battle rail, takes a low pro gas block.

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, two pins and your done, as long as you are purchasing a complete(includes BCG) upper 6.8 spc. You will also need different mags for the 6.8..real easy though..

Top Bottom