• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bt95z28

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm new to muzzle breaks, I just bought my daughter a mossberg bantam 243 and want to put a muzzle brake on there for her to reduce recoil since she is 7. When looking for muzzle brakes, I noticed that there are different sizes and thread patters and all. Can anyone tell me how I determine which one and what size I need to go with? And can anyone recommend a gunsmith to put it on? I measured the barrel and the outside diameter at the muzzle was 5/8". Any help would be much appreciated. I know I want something that is going to knock out all recoil, and I've heard some are quieter than others so I guess any help in that area would be good, but she will be wearing ear protection so volume is a lot less important than recoil reduction. Thanks

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Personally, I would look into reduced recoil ammo before I would put a muzzle brake on a youth's rifle. For a brake to be effective, it will be loud. The increased report could actually be more detrimental to a young shooter than the recoil. Just my thoughts.

That being said, 5/8x24 is a common thread pitch, but the barrel OD may be too small. 1/2x32 may also work for that caliber.

Bt95z28

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personally, I would look into reduced recoil ammo before I would put a muzzle brake on a youth's rifle. For a brake to be effective, it will be loud. The increased report could actually be more detrimental to a young shooter than the recoil. Just my thoughts.

That being said, 5/8x24 is a common thread pitch, but the barrel OD may be too small. 1/2x32 may also work for that caliber.

Well, she will be wearing hearing protection, and I know this is what my uncle did with my cousin when she was little and it worked out pretty well, but I would be interested in where you find the ammo you speak of, can you buy it over the counter? Or do you have to find someone that can make custom rounds? I'm trying to make it where we have minimal recoil and maximum knockdown power. She would be crushed if we didn't find her first deer. Thanks for the advice, is there anyone around here that can put one on without charging an arm and a leg?

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a little off the subject matter, but this could be a for win-win for everyone solution. Get the barrel threaded and grab a harvester suppressor. Lowers recoil, lowers report...and also can be used on your other guns also for all to enjoy!

Bt95z28

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a little off the subject matter, but this could be a for win-win for everyone solution. Get the barrel threaded and grab a harvester suppressor. Lowers recoil, lowers report...and also can be used on your other guns also for all to enjoy!

I love that idea... However, I'm pretty sure the state of fl has a little bit of a problem with taking deer with a suppressor.... If I'm wrong please tell me because that would make my day lol

Bt95z28

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well now that Christmas has come early for me.... I haven't looked into it before but now I must.... Who can tell me how I go about getting one? Haven't explored the process before because it seemed like a lot of money for something I couldn't use anywhere but the range. And anyone else with info on the muzzle break is appreciated as well. Lol

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The process is easier than it sounds. There are two ways to obtain a silencer, but I'll cliff notes the more popular of the two.

1. Purchase and obtain a NFA Trust (we can help you through the entire process)
    2. Purchase your suppressor
    3. Fill out the Form 4 and wait 3-5 months.

Call the shop after 10 today at 850-376-9140 and I can walk you through it in more detail, including discussing pricing and options.

Notes:
    1. The NFA Trust is a ONE TIME expenses. Once you have one established, you don't need to set one up for each subsequent NFA item you purchase.
    2. You need to pay the government $200 for your tax stamp for each suppressor you purchase
    3. If you are military/leo/ems/firefighter etc etc there are special pricing programs which can save you money
    4. The NFA trust eliminates a couple of steps to process a Form 4, i.e. LEO signature, photograph, fingerprints. It also reduces waiting times with the BATFE. Current wait times on a tax stamp WITHOUT a trust are currently running 9-12 months vs. 3-5 months WITH a trust.

There is no need to come to the shop, as we can do everything over the phone and through email. Of course, you are more than welcome to stop in to look at our in-stock selection of suppressors.

Top Bottom