• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I am looking for an ATV seeder/spreader to sow my food plots. Anyone have one they want to sell or know where there is one in a store? I am wanting one that mounts on the rack of my 4 wheeler. If I can't find one of those anyone have experience using a pull behind? I never thought I would have trouble finding one, where I moved from in Missouri every hardware store, farm store, feed store etc had them on hand. If no one has one for sale does anyone have one I could borrow for a couple of days?

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Tractor Supply usually has the spreaders to mount on atv’s. I wouldn’t have one of the tow behinds, seen a guy use one of those on my hunting lease one time and he had to go so slow he couldn’t keep up with everybody, his tow behind spreader kept bouncing around and tipping over, some plots are just not ideal for using the tow behinds.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought mine back in the day at my local cooperative. Mine is the round bucket style made by moultree. It always worked great, the only time I had issues was when the fertilizer had clumps in it so I couldn’t load the bucket cause I had to be able to get to the bottom. I got wish and made a sifter all good after that.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you tried Facebook Marketplace? Do a search for "spreader". If one does not come up that is local and used you may get a link to order on on-line. Must say this is not a good time to be trying to buy a used one. Everyone that has property or a lease is planting now.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    That's what I was afraid of with the tow behind that it would tip over. I am going to do some more searching today and will order one if I can find one that will ship soon.

gameaholic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a tow behing made by agri-fab. We used it to spread our seed and fertilizer. Pulled it with my riding mower. It did ok. You are welcome to borrow it. I plan on buying a planter and 3 point spreader, because we want to double the size of our plots next year. I am in Crestview.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just sold a tractor 3 point spreader. I found it was overkill for the size of plots that I have. I use a 12" wheel, inflatable push broadcast spreader now. Although it's more work I find that I have better control, especially putting seed down.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I am going to borrow Gameaholic's for this season and will assess how rough my terrain is in my plots and have my own for next year.

joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just sold a tractor 3 point spreader. I found it was overkill for the size of plots that I have. I use a 12" wheel, inflatable push broadcast spreader now. Although it's more work I find that I have better control, especially putting seed down.
    What brand did you buy?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have the $129 Moultrie listed above in the add and it works pretty good...holds 50# of seed or fertilizer. There is a cover that helps keep things in if bouncing...hope that helps.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Whewwwww, I’d hate to have to push a spreader like that, I guess if you’ve got a small plot it would get the job done. I’ve got 60 bags of seed and 60 bags of fertilizer to spread in food plots this coming Saturday, 3 point spreader with a 5000 Ford tractor will it make it easy work. I will have some help with 7 other tractors on site, 4 of us spreading, 4 covering lightly with a disc. Got all plots already disced up and waiting for seed/fertilizer. I remember 30 years ago walking my butt off with a tote spreader planting about 36 plots, that kind of labor would give me a heart attack now.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Whewwwww, I’d hate to have to push a spreader like that, I guess if you’ve got a small plot it would get the job done. I’ve got 60 bags of seed and 60 bags of fertilizer to spread in food plots this coming Saturday, 3 point spreader with a 5000 Ford tractor will it make it easy work. I will have some help with 7 other tractors on site, 4 of us spreading, 4 covering lightly with a disc. Got all plots already disced up and waiting for seed/fertilizer. I remember 30 years ago walking my butt off with a tote spreader planting about 36 plots, that kind of labor would give me a heart attack now.

My biggest plot is just over 1/4 acre. That spreader works fine for me. As I said, the 3 pt spreader was overkill for me.

Top Bottom