• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'll second the nod towards the 6.8 SPC seeing as you want to hunt with it and you're not planning on stock piling a bunch of ammo. The 6.8 SPC is a proven killer of deer, hogs, and coyote.

With minimal tools building is as easy as watching a few YouTube videos on the topic... the AR is truly a Plug-and-Play platform, a BIG reason for the AR's success in my opinion.

Another chambering worthy of consideration is the 6.5 Grendel. It has grown in popularity, and like the 6.8 SPC, I've used it to stack pork and coyote bodies with zero issues.

With AR parts prices being low right now I see no reason why you can't assemble one for under your budget, especially if you pick up some used parts along the way such as the hand guard, trigger, upper, and other non-crucial parts. I'd lean on the new side for a barrel and bolt carrier group.

18" Barrel in 6.8 or 6.5; Free Float Rail (Yankee Hill/Budget; SLR/Higher End); Flat Top Upper, Velocity or Timney 3-lb. Trigger, MagPul UBR stock, Harris Bi-Pod, nice glass... makes for a nice hunting rig.

This is one of my builds in 6.5 Grendel (Ballistic Advantage barrel), I have a near-identical one but with a fluted SS barrel in 6.8 SPC from Bison Armory.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You might also want to consider the large-frame AR10... this is one of my Aero M5 builds in .308 Winchester, without the suppressor, it's more compact than you would think for a large frame, it has a 16" barrel... packs a punch obviously with it being .308 Win.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You may consider an ar in 7.62x39. I bought one that uses a mil spec lower.
    I had to buy special curved mags for it, but I love it. Cheap to shoot, and about 3 pounds lighter than my AK

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless you really desire to Build an AR, there is very good quality factory complete 5.56/300BO AR rifles and pistols in your price range. You may get higher quality of individual parts but I don't think that's necessary for your basic application/use. If I'm interpeting your intended purpose correctly, a AR that delivers 2MOA @ 100 yards would be sufficient. Use your "saved" money for the optic and/or a drop in trigger If you can't adjust your shooting to the factory trigger. You don't need to go with a shorter pistol configuration w/brace for hunting. Woods/brush/blinds are much different than requirements for close quarters maneuverability and with every cartridge: you will loose velicoty chasing tacticoolness. Lol

Your starting with almost a blank slate. Review and choose the caliber first then a few optimim loads (factory or reloading) and which twist rate suits them the best. With caliber and twist rate, you can start shopping around for parts or a factory gun. A 18 or better yet 20 inch barrel with proper twist rate to match loads/cartridges with the best ballistic coefficients (BC) will get better velicoty, less drop and less wind deflection and deliver better accuracy. You may or may not reload ammo and that may limit you cartridge BC availability, but Factory ammo data is available.

The only thing I would strongly recommend is a flat top optics ready/railed Upper, to include a railed section above gas port/end of forend

Start reading: a Series of articles on building an AR, has 10 Sections including areas you asked about.
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/?s=build+an+ar
    If you are new to ARs buy one ready go in 5.56. You wil likely have l fewer initial problems. For a first gun stay away from 7.62x39 unless you just need that chambering. I had to fix problems with the uppers that i purchased in that caliber like including a modified firing pin. On the 5.56 gun You can latter on put other uppers on it.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s a good beginning lol currently working out a gas block issue with PSA. The retaining ball is not in the gas block and PSA is backed up

Latest posts

Top Bottom