• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A friend of mine wants to sell a nicely built 10×16 shed. Im thinking of bringing it to the back of my property and putting a deck over my logging canal for a back porch, and a 80 yd range from the front porch. Anybody know if i can easily run 100 amp svc about 50 yds?

Attachments

• 20240229_163150.jpg
      20240229_163150.jpg
      2.5 MB · Views: 51
    • 20240229_163439.jpg
      20240229_163439.jpg
      2.6 MB · Views: 51

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a stump bucket that i think i can use to dig a trench for electric and water. I just came up with an idea for an outdoor shower and composting toilet on the back deck. Like a high tech outhouse!

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Go to rental company, rent a ditchwitch for 1/2 day. Cut your line in, run your direct burial wiring inside the grey electrical conduit, schedule 80 pipe. You don't have to use the conduit, and it's not code not to (only required if above ground/residential, unless it's changed).
    Sure it's over-kill, but it'll be better protected over the years from most anything like nearby lightning (ground/tree) strikes, roots, digging/hitting it, etc.

Or you could just run direct burial on the ground, hook it up yourself and call it slick.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not a licensed electrician, but have done/seen a thing or two. Would estimate 2-4 AWG will be needed depending on whether you choose copper or aluminum. As others have said the wire must be suitable for wet/buried applications. A friend ran his own main line; it can be done. Talk to your county building/permitting people. I've found they are pretty willing to help when you ask before vs after. Ya know, a small generator surrounded by a dirt berm, sand bags, etc, a distance away could be an option.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My main reason for electricity is to have air conditioning. More than anything to keep the humidity out because i wont be in it everyday. I could probably get by with 30 amps. Great idea on the oil lamps. I have a few gimball wall mount lamps that will work awesome.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you end up running that line yourself you should put the "caution electrical" tape down above the line in the ditch. I believe it is supposed to be 6"above the line. May save someone's life or you a good amount of money if you ever get diggin in the future. I'm sure someone will chime in that's an electrician and can tell you exactly the height for that tape

Last edited:

oldwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6000-9000btu Mini split heat pumps will operate on a dedicated 15 amp circuit. 100 amps seems far more than might be needed for your uses. Your 30 amp estimate is probably much closer. Smaller gauge wires - much less cost

Last edited:

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    First off I’m not an electrician but when it comes to changing out light fixtures, ceiling fans, extended a circuit or wiring up a panel, barn, shop, etc , I can do most anything a certified electrician can do. Not implying I’m an electrician cause I’m not, just wanting to tell ya’ll what I did 33 years ago when we had our home built out in the country. I’ve got a 5 acre pond towards the back of the property that I had built a pier off of the dam and I asked the electrician that wired my house about what wire I needed to run down to the pond. He gave me at no charge a large spool of 12/3 romex (indoor wiring) , a 1000’ spool and he told me to bury it and it would last a long time. So I weld up a cable plow with a three point hitch so I could use my tractor to plow it in from a shed out to the pier, I buried close to 800’ of the romex, that wire has been in the ground for 33 years and pier light still works every night, last year I ran another 225’ of wire off of that romex from the pier out to a security light behind the pond so I can see deer at a feeder during the night. I don’t night hunt and never have but it’s cool to look out and see them under the light at night. Don’t know how long that indoor house wiring will last but it’s there in the ground about 18” deep and is still good to this day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom