• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So my brother in law has a mini 14 .223 that will kick out the first round, but wont chamber the 2nd round. If you manually cycle the weapon, it works fine.
    It appears that the bolt is not going back quite far enough to get behind the round in the mag when firing. I know nothing about mini 14's, are they gas guns? If so, is it a pressure problem, and how do we fix it? The gun has been to 2 gunsmiths with no results. Sorry for the newb questions
    Thanks in advance!
    BE's

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know anything about those rifles, but I had the same problem with my generation2 sig. 556R in 7.63x39.... It was a gas block problem that our fearless forum leader was able to fix via text message pictures

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Clean it and service the gas system. Probably just has a bunch of carbon buildup.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    First thought --> Does it have a buffer(usually by Buffer Tech)over the buffer guide rod ?? If it does,it will not allow the slide assembly enough rearward movement to fully extract and eject the spent brass.

In my Mini 14's and Mini 30 both, I had to take about 1/4th of the thickness off the buffer for proper operation. --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Found this on a Ruger Forum
    "Sounds like the bolt is not cycling all the way back due to a loss of gas pressure. The Mini-14 is a gas operated system meaning there is a small hole (gas port) in the barrel where some of the pressure is released to push the gas piston (part of the slide assembly) back. This unlocks the breach and pushes the bolt fully to the rear. If there is an obstruction in the gas port, gas port bushing, gas pipe, or if the gas block was not tightened properly, there won't be enough pressure to cycle properly.

Use this schematic: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sch...refix+187-188+

Check the 4 gas block Allen screws (p/n 19) to make sure they are tight and the gap between the upper and lower gas block is the same on both sides. If the screws were loose, you will lose gas pressure. If the screws were tight, there may be an obstruction inside the gas block. You can remove all 4 screws then remove, clean, and inspect the gas port bushing (part #21) and the gas pipe (part #20). Inspect the hole in the barrel and make sure it isn't obstructed. Reassemble being careful to position the gas port bushing and the gas pipe properly. Sometimes the heat shield gets in the way so make sure the larger half of the gas block is flush with the barrel before you tighten all four screws with equal tension and equal gaps between the top and bottom gas block. "

Apparently the guy that tried this guy advice worked. He was having the same problem as you.

Top Bottom