• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Does anyone know anything about their product or their program. It's a system that has no batteries, so when the power goes out during a storm you loose power also. You just pay for any overage on your electric bill. They actually send you a check at the end of the year for any unused power. I'm not sure, but I think you actually buy the system, and instead of a power bill, you make payments on the system. Sounds like b.s. to me. But the wife has set up an appointment for today. Just wondering if anyone has any information.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just an FYI - net metering could go away tomorrow.

If I were going to do solar then I would also do a generator and an automatic transfer (with solar on the house side) and then do a battery backup as well (either a Tesla on the high end or a golf cart battery setup on the low end).

AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'm not sure about this system or this company. Been doing some research and I'm reading way more bad than good. I think I'm going to look into something more like you're talking about. The main idea was so we wouldn't loose power and hopefully save some money. This is not that system.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My neighbor had them installed by the same company. I think he likes them.
    The solar panels keep getting better. Their sales pitch is great! I heard its somewhat like a timeshare sales pitch.
    Here are some things I would ask before purchasing, but its not all inclusive, so make you own list. Don't sign anything during the first appointment. You need time to research and confirm their answers and claims.
    1) My roof may need to be replaced in the next 5 years; how do I get the panels off so I can re-roof my house?
    2) Do you charge for removal and replacement?
    3) How much is this whole thing going to cost up-front?
    4) Whats the interest rate, and whats the warranty?
    5) How long do the panels last, and why don't we get battery storage?
    6) How long is the contract?
    7) If I have the panels and the power goes off, will I still be able to watch Oprah?
    8) How much is the usual monthly rebate based on my average power bill?
    9) What if I want to cancel the contract?
    10) Is there an early termination fee for cancellation?
    11) If I sell my house, am I still responsible for the full length of the contract?
    12) Would we have to pay off the remaining due on the contract if we sell?
    13) If we sell the house and want to transfer the contract to the buyers, it that possible?
    14) Would the buyers have to pass a credit check?
    15) If the buyers default am I still liable for the balance of the contract?
    16) How much will I save every month?
    17) How is my homes power consumption calculated and who calculates it?
    18) Does installing the panels on my roof void the shingle warranty?
    19) Will there be homeowner insurance implications? Do I need to check with them first? Yes!
    Im sure you can think of a million more questions, just be sure to write them down before the appointment.
    Just some thoughts - yours are more important.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a coworker that had them installed on his house. He paid up front and seems like he said it was about 25k. Supposedly his monthly power bill will now be around $20 a month. No battery backup, his panels make excess during the day so the “meter turns backwards”. At night his power comes from the grid. I think he said they will maintain them/warranty them for 25 years. My concern was who is the warranty through/ what if Meryaki goes out of business in a few years.

AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I already know the answer to one of those questions. If the power goes out, I also loose power. But thanks for the information, you do have some good questions that I didn't think of.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I don't have any experience with them. The questions I posed were off the top of my head. I don't know what you don't know, so there it is.
    I took the time to share my thoughts. Sorry it wasn't helpful.

AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Please don't take it like that. Your information was very helpful, and you did raise some questions that I will be asking. Your input is greatly appreciated. I really didn't mean to offend you.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    No problem, I didn't get offended. Hope you get the answers you need. Best of luck!

AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Update on Meraki, not for me. The system was $16,000.00, didn't ask for apr because they lost me before that. Also they said the panels should last 10 years, which is convenient because that's exactly how long the contract was for. Just didn't see the benefits. Thank all you guy's for your opinions and input.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Update on Meraki, not for me. The system was $16,000.00, didn't ask for apr because they lost me before that. Also they said the panels should last 10 years, which is convenient because that's exactly how long the contract was for. Just didn't see the benefits. Thank all you guy's for your opinions and input.

No lack of opinions on here!

AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    That's exactly why I asked the question on here. There is a very diverse group of people on this site. If they don't know the answer, then chances are, they know someone that does. I don't know many people on here, I have met a few. But for some reason I feel I can trust the people on here, so I do value their opinions. Kinda weird, but good.

Top Bottom